[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoping for a healthy Markus  (Read 14076 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Hoping for a healthy Markus
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:25:08 PM »
I’ve mentioned this before but this season has already had so many great moments, and it’s felt like it’s been a long time coming.
Another amazing game tonight, just phenomenal by so many of the guys and everyone involved with the program deserves credit. 
I can’t help get my mind off the elephant in the room though- this team needs a healthy Markus for the magic to continue.
Here’s to a quick recovery to our Mr. All American

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Hoping for a healthy Markus
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:34:09 PM »
A healthy Markus & Morrow are crucial to reaching the pretty high ceiling this team has

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:33:31 PM »
I'm going to throw it out there - am expecting both to play significant minutes on Sunday!

And, BB will play way more than JCS for the remainder of the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:37:10 PM »
A healthy Markus & Morrow are crucial to reaching the pretty high ceiling this team has

Yessir.

I'm going to throw it out there - am expecting both to play significant minutes on Sunday!

I tried really hard to be patient with JCS, but I have to admit it's tough after tonight.

We desperately needed him to do what he was brought to Marquette for, and not only didn't he do it, he was a net negative. Quite disappointed.

Can we get away with never playing a true back-up PG? Can Sam/Sacar give Markus enough of a break to keep Markus fresh (especially if his balky back necessitates him getting more breathers)? What about quicker, better-coached teams who might press us? All things to look for going forward.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:40:48 PM »
I'm with you Mike. Was giving JC the benefit of the doubt up until the start of conference play, started to wain after the first few games, and after tonight my dreams of a JC and Markus starting back court have pretty much disappeared.

Definitely the most disappointing grad transfer since I started following Marquette. Hopefully he shows something in the next couple of games.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:44:24 PM »
I'm with you Mike. Was giving JC the benefit of the doubt up until the start of conference play, started to wain after the first few games, and after tonight my dreams of a JC and Markus starting back court have pretty much disappeared.

Definitely the most disappointing grad transfer since I started following Marquette. Hopefully he shows something in the next couple of games.

I actually thought he played well against St. John's, and also had a few decent NC games. But these last 4 games he's been bad -- this one in particular, when it looked like we would have to get a good game from him to have a chance. Thankfully, our "emergency QBs" did just fine. Better than fine, actually.

I could see Wojo giving him another chance or two, because he obviously wants JCS to succeed. But maybe not.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 11:48:18 PM »
Same here about being patient with JCS.  I thought he needed to be a polished ball handler, a high assist pass first pg and a lockdown defender, and he needed to play 25-30 mins/gm for us to be successful.

Now, I am fine with him in mop-up duty assuming that Markus can stay healthy.

Of course, I didn't think Markus would be in the NCAA POY conversation half way through the year either.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 12:05:24 AM »
JC's defense is still solid....but his offense is an absolute mess. Tower said it best, when Wojo gave the order to shoot the open shot with confidence, he was tentative. I think he has a role moving forward but this was his big shot and he gave us nothing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 12:59:08 AM »
A bounce pass.... in the paint.... to Matt Heldt?  At least he wasn't throwing it past guys out of bounds on the side, so he's varying the ways he turns it over.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 05:29:24 AM »

It helps that our mid week game is "early" on a Tuesday and our weekend game is "late" on Sunday.  That's 4 days or rest.  If we were trying to make a Thursday-Saturday turnaround I'd be more doubtful about MH's status.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 06:35:08 AM »
Yes, we all want Markus to get healthy soon.  Yes, Chartouny has not played well.  But I haven't given up on him yet.  I do, however, acknowledge that he has not yet consistently lived up to expectations.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 06:53:12 AM »

Can we get away with never playing a true back-up PG? Can Sam/Sacar give Markus enough of a break to keep Markus fresh (especially if his balky back necessitates him getting more breathers)? What about quicker, better-coached teams who might press us? All things to look for going forward.
I’m not sure, and I fear that back spasms are not remedied by more breathers. They seem to be debilitating or......you can go—little in between. I hope this gets corrected and it’s not a “what could have been” season.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 06:55:11 AM »
I’m not sure, and I fear that back spasms are not remedied by more breathers. They seem to be debilitating or......you can go—little in between. I hope this gets corrected and it’s not a “what could have been” season.

And a headache can be a brain tumor.

I prefer being a "glass is half full" kind of person.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 07:12:58 AM »
It helps that our mid week game is "early" on a Tuesday and our weekend game is "late" on Sunday.  That's 4 days or rest.  If we were trying to make a Thursday-Saturday turnaround I'd be more doubtful about MH's status.

Totally agree. Back spasms are crazy.  They can crop up out of basically nowhere and with treatment be gone after they finally relax.  Markus even looked more limber on the bench in the second half and was routinely celebrating with his teammates.  I think he'll be just fine after getting daily treatment this week.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 07:13:32 AM »
It's been a long time since I've had something in common with a college basketball POY candidate.  Sucks that it's a sore back.  Except I spent the whole weekend in my recliner due to a nasty cold annnnddddd I'm approaching 49 y.o. But other than that, we're like twins

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 07:57:58 AM »
And a headache can be a brain tumor.

I prefer being a "glass is half full" kind of person.
? Good for you!
Not sure what this has to do with the price of tea in China.
I am not sure more breaks during a game is an effective way to combat back spasms. Either you have them and can’t play or you can.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »
I’m likely in the minority but I actually felt bad for J Chartouney last night. He just has had this look lately of someone who levels up and begins to realize that maybe he just isn’t as good as he thought, maybe not for this level. This would probably explain the appearance of lack of confidence.

Personally, I’m most disappointed by the quality of his defense with regards to constantly pressuring other guards and forcing turnovers. When you hear steals leader in the country you expect a ball hawk, but maybe it’s a lack of speed thing

Don’t forget he isn’t alone in struggling at a higher level though. Last I checked Joe Cremo, who was supposed to be a better pickup than our cup of Joe, isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire at Nova. It’ll be interesting to see if either of them get going late in the season to make a difference for a conference title push

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 08:28:10 AM »
Yes, we all want Markus to get healthy soon.  Yes, Chartouny has not played well.  But I haven't given up on him yet.  I do, however, acknowledge that he has not yet consistently lived up to expectations.

JC hasn't played very well and I am in agreement with other folks that he doesn't really deserve much playing time. But... Bailey was in the same category prior to last night IMO, I am hopeful that JC does a 180 and gives MU good minutes, not holding my breath though. Could really use him if teams start pressing.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »
Joey and Jamal haven’t played all that great of late so yes, their time will be cut.  But they will still be given the opportunity to get in there and play, and if they contribute, playing time will increase.

BB played 1 minute over the weekend.  Gets put in last night and contributes and plays 27 minutes.

Want to play more? Contribute. Do your job.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 08:40:09 AM »
Chartouny was an unsung hero against Creighton with Sacar fouling out.     The last two games have not been good.    I believe he still has many contributions left.    Though, not as many as I thought he might have at the start of the year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 08:41:16 AM »
Joey and Jamal haven’t played all that great of late so yes, their time will be cut.  But they will still be given the opportunity to get in there and play, and if they contribute, playing time will increase.

BB played 1 minute over the weekend.  Gets put in last night and contributes and plays 27 minutes.

Joey's averaging 12 and 5 in conference with an eFG% north of 60, not sure you can ask too much more from him without a large spike in usage.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »
JC hasn't played very well and I am in agreement with other folks that he doesn't really deserve much playing time. But... Bailey was in the same category prior to last night IMO, I am hopeful that JC does a 180 and gives MU good minutes, not holding my breath though. Could really use him if teams start pressing.

JC can and will contribute but but the door opened up for BB; he showed his game in a tough place. Our fans in DC loved it even the GT folks were impressed by his length and versatility. He will be a tough match-up in BE play and he can flat out shoot it!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 09:01:50 AM »

Joey? He does a zillion valuable things on the court. He is the least of our problems.

Thankfully we don't have that many problems compared to the rest of the teams in the conference, especially if Markus gets back soon.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 09:02:15 AM »
Joey's averaging 12 and 5 in conference with an eFG% north of 60, not sure you can ask too much more from him without a large spike in usage.

He had me perplexed with that statement as well.

I’m going to assuming hes referring to Joseph as “joey”.

Otherwise I’m perplexed. Cuz Joey Hauser isn’t losing minutes.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »
Chartouney, Cain, Bailey, and Heldt will all contribute in games when the matchups are favorable.  Don't give up on any of them.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback