'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mark-us down for a conference road win  (Read 7890 times)

tower912

• All American
Mark-us down for a conference road win
« on: January 15, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »
1.  The team played like there was no edmorrow.     Cannot ask for a better effort.   
2.   THIS is why you build depth.  So much balance.   Honestly, possibly my favorite game of the year so far.   
3.   Theo John is a bad man.  He got the Hoya bigs in foul trouble.   Now stop committing cheap fouls.   And make some free throws.    Ners was right.   And so was everyone who predicted foul trouble.   
4.  I am whistling past the graveyard and believing this is just a short term thing for Markus.   If it isn't, then the redshirt has to be lifted off of GE.
5.   Wojo...'next man up.    Fire all of your bullets'     Damn demotivation.      And the whole team knew the whole play book.   
6.  Sam at the point.   Chartouny at the point.   Sacar at the point.    Token pressure, no problem.
7.   Sam stepped up and lead.   In so many ways.   SOTG.
8.   But who didn't step up?   Maybe we can still grumble about Chartouny and Cain?   
9.   There were definitely some combinations on the floor that no one would have predicted a few days ago.
10.  Brendan Bailey.   Welcome.   
11.   Jamal Cain should have played a few more minutes just to get Sam and Joey a couple minutes of rest during the course of the game.    Both were gassed down the stretch.
12.  Defense wins championships.   This MU team plays defense. 
13.   What does it all mean?    MU stepped up and played their ass off tonight without Markus.   Or Morrow.   There is depth and talent.    Character has been revealed.    The outcome is nearly irrelevant in the big picture.     Marquette Warriors took a huge step forward tonight. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
Re: Mark-us down for a conference road win
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 09:47:54 PM »
Huge win! That was a sweet victory.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
1.  The team played like there was no edmorrow.     Cannot ask for a better effort.

Love it. In the Creighton game, one of the announcers had a very smooth "passes it tomorrow!" that had me chuckling.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »
I love this team. Everyone stepped up. HUGE contributions from Sam, Theo, Sacar, Brendan.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »

connie

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
Great game.  All around toughness and execution.  Loved Creighton, but agree this may be my fave game of the year.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:01 PM »
A very solid Team effort .  This should be a big confidence builder for these young kids. Road win against Georgetown is always a good thing and cause for celebration.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:10 PM »
He won’t get SOTG, but for the season’s sake and as an enormous confidence booster, hats off to Bailey.

If we get that guy again the rest of the year? Oh boy.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »
BB was unsung hero. He is going to be a player.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:55:10 PM »
Character revealed

I thought Brendan's defense was unbelievably huge.

Thought Cain's defense was good as well.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 09:55:52 PM »
I've only watched a few minutes of Georgetown this year, but still shocked they didn't try out a real press at some point. We weren't playing a PG; can't hurt to try it for a few possessions.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 09:57:29 PM »

Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 09:58:18 PM »
I've only watched a few minutes of Georgetown this year, but still shocked they didn't try out a real press at some point. We weren't playing a PG; can't hurt to try it for a few possessions.

Apparently what the real coach chose to do worked just fine.
Have some patience, FFS.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 10:00:39 PM »
So much yogurt in my shorts
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 10:01:33 PM »
Really gritty effort.  Team loses Markus and then Joey proves to be totally ineffective and the guys rally around each other and gut one out.  Could be a real turning point for the year.  Hopefully Markus is back Sunday and everyone can see that we don’t need one guy to score.

Happy to see BB step up and contribute and Theo’s development has been a joy to watch.  Needle pointing way up for this season and program.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:03 PM »
Such a great win. Not looking forward to seeing McClung the next 3.5 years. When the ball not in his hands at the end I felt much better.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:10 PM »
So many good contributions across the board. You can't teach the length and athleticism of BB, he was so good defensively and finally got some shots to fall. If this game helps him build some confidence, look out.

Good defensive effort across the board though, solid help, good pick and roll defense and solid minutes off the bench from BB, Matt, etc.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »
Said at halftime Sam had to shoot to win.  He did.

Believe Joe C. will be sitting, something wrong with the guy, like he's scared. Bring in Bailey (9 points, 4 blocks, no turnovers) and Sacar can bring up ball help.  He did very good tonight with ball handling, even though bad shooting night.

Joey had a quite 10 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists.  Some say ineffective?

Sacar was on McClung, but Bailey was on Akinjo.  Akinjo shot 1 for 10 from field. 

I don't think Cain played one minute in second half.  Joe C. played maybe five.

Ewing was pissed at his team because he probably wanted them to go to Govan.  But the freshman Akinjo at 6ft went straight at the basket being covered by 6ft 9 Bailey and Theo waiting.  Dumb. 

I know Wojo beat #1 Nova, but this win is pretty cool for him.  No Morrow, no Markus and basically first guard off bench in Joe C.   3 out of your first 8 in rotation.  Fun to watch and team was pumped at end.   

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:51 PM »
I’ll be Debbie Downer for a split second. Chartouny was brutal tonight. I don’t know what that was, but luckily Woj and staff recognized it.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 10:04:56 PM »
Joey had 5 TO’s and I wish they would have him give it up when he brings the ball up.  He might be able to do that in 12 months or so, but not now.  Too loose with the handle at this point.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 10:05:46 PM »
JC failed big time with his biggest opportunity this season. That was epically bad. He had no clue what to do with the ball in his hands and was poor on d. So bad
No Finish Line

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »
I’ll be Debbie Downer for a split second. Chartouny was brutal tonight. I don’t know what that was, but luckily Woj and staff recognized it.

He's been bad all season. Hesitate to shoot, loose with the ball and way, way too many unforced turnovers. Wojo finally had it tonight.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:11:40 PM by RJax55 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »
After Wojo's big speech in the huddle in the first half about next man up and fire all your bullets, he and Cain were the two guys who were tentative.    Their minutes reflected that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 10:11:36 PM »
2.   THIS is why you build depth.  So much balance.   Honestly, possibly my favorite game of the year so far.   
3.   Theo John is a bad man.  He got the Hoya bigs in foul trouble.   Now stop committing cheap fouls.   And make some free throws.    Ners was right.   And so was everyone who predicted foul trouble.   
4.  I am whistling past the graveyard and believing this is just a short term thing for Markus.   If it isn't, then the redshirt has to be lifted off of GE.
5.   Wojo...'next man up.    Fire all of your bullets'     Damn demotivation.      And the whole team knew the whole play book.   
6.  Sam at the point.   Chartouny at the point.   Sacar at the point.    Token pressure, no problem.
7.   Sam stepped up and lead.   In so many ways.   SOTG.
8.   But who didn't step up?   Maybe we can still grumble about Chartouny and Cain?   
9.   There were definitely some combinations on the floor that no one would have predicted a few days ago.
10.  Brendan Bailey.   Welcome.   
11.   Jamal Cain should have played a few more minutes just to get Sam and Joey a couple minutes of rest during the course of the game.    Both were gassed down the stretch.
12.  Defense wins championships.   This MU team plays defense. 
13.   What does it all mean?    MU stepped up and played their ass off tonight without Markus.   Or Morrow.   There is depth and talent.    Character has been revealed.    The outcome is nearly irrelevant in the big picture.     Marquette Warriors took a huge step forward tonight.

Sam is officially back to being a stud. As I said in another post earlier today, he looked more athletic and less labored the last couple/few games. Tonight clinched it. We need him!!!!

Well, I can't speak for others. All I said about Theo was that I hope he doesn't get into foul trouble, and I was worried about not having Ed if he did. I don't think that's some kind of out-of-left-field concern. What I actually said was that Theo has been so much better this season about avoiding the kinds of fouls that killed him last year. What a BEast beast!

Agree about Elliott. tower. Said the same to my wife. Hope it doesn't come down to that, obviously. Long-term, we need Markus. (I know ... call me Capt. Obvious.)

Joey wasn't as big a scorer as I thought he'd have to be when it became obvious that Markus was done for the night, but man does he do a ton of little things. (And lots of big things.)

Bailey's defense was huge in this game. Huge.

I must have said at least a dozen times, "Man, I'm surprised Georgetown doesn't press us, at least a little. I sure am glad, though."

I love this team. Loved watching Markus "coaching." Loved the contributions we got from everybody who played (except JCS, who is struggling). And I agree tower that this in particular was an easy game to love.

Great job by Wojo, who is becoming a heck of a coach. In the last 11 days, he designed the PERFECT inbound play to help steal us our first road win, pushed all the right buttons to get this Markus-less team to get our second road win, got a couple of home victories, and landed a 4-star recruit. Bueno!

Oh, and that's 4 straight BEast wins for the coach who can't win 3.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:13:17 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »
Joey had 5 TO’s and I wish they would have him give it up when he brings the ball up.  He might be able to do that in 12 months or so, but not now.  Too loose with the handle at this point.
I don’t recall Joeys turnovers being caused while he was bringing the ball up the court.
Maybe they were but I thought there was a few strips in the lane and out on the arc,