[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Howard Big East player of the week  (Read 2937 times)

MrCNote

• Walk-On
Howard Big East player of the week
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:06:49 AM »
#BIGEASThoops

Verified account

@BIGEASTMBB
 35m
35 minutes ago

More
No Surprise Here

#BIGEASThoops Player of the Week - @markushoward11

Broke @BIGEAST single-game scoring mark by pouring in 53 points
 Averaged 39.5 points in a pair of victories
 @TheAndyKatz National Player of the Week as well

tower912

• All American
Re: Howard Big East player of the week
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:55:28 AM »
But not the SHU SOTG, which is a far greater honor.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 02:30:33 PM »
Random stat I just noticed (and didn’t want to create a fresh topic on it).  Markus has already made as many FTs this year (105) as he did all last season in half as many games.  Needed four more attempts to do so, though—Tsk tsk.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:49:05 PM »
Random stat I just noticed (and didn’t want to create a fresh topic on it).  Markus has already made as many FTs this year (105) as he did all last season in half as many games.  Needed four more attempts to do so, though—Tsk tsk.

I wouldn't call that a random stat. Per KenPom.com, Markus has close to doubled his free throw rate (38.5%) compared to last season (21.8%). He's not just taking more shots; he's learning how to draw more fouls. That makes his offensive game all the more versatile and dangerous.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:15:13 PM »
I wouldn't call that a random stat. Per KenPom.com, Markus has close to doubled his free throw rate (38.5%) compared to last season (21.8%). He's not just taking more shots; he's learning how to draw more fouls. That makes his offensive game all the more versatile and dangerous.

Makes him a bit more regression proof too

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-01-14/college-basketball-film-study-heres-what-makes-markus-howard

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else, so I figured I'd throw it here.  Apologize if it has already been posted.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
I was in the Manpower suite for the buffalo game. As I was watching his performance it hadn't clicked that he had scored something like 12 straight points. Then he went on to add a few more crazy threes. It had a very Stephen Curry feel to it. I was at the Novak game where he scored 43 against Uconn. That game seems very minor compared to what Howard has done this year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:16:31 AM »

Agreed.

Even if one is in a shooting slump -- as happens to even the great ones sometimes -- one can still make a significant offensive contribution by getting to the line a lot. Harden is a good example of that in the NBA.

The only BEast game that got away from us, Markus wasn't hitting and he tried to take it inside but the refs weren't giving him the calls he has gotten most of the season. And that happens, too ... just hopefully not very often.

Markus is far more than a shooter, he is a scorer. We are so lucky to have him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:42:24 AM »
He's not just taking more shots; he's learning how to draw more fouls. That makes his offensive game all the more versatile and dangerous.

Agreed.  He has learned to be more aggressive and attack off the dribble more, and in ways that are more likely to get fouled instead of blocked at the rim—varying his speed, shot selection, and type, which keeps the defense off-kilter.  His extra strength also helps because he is going up harder, which I think makes it more likely to get a call then when he is falling to the floor and just chucking one up (which he did some in the St. John’s game and didn’t get the calls).

That said, I do think he is also benefiting some from being more recognizable to the refs, and also getting some calls that in the past they may have let slide.  I’m not complaining—a natural tendency of refs.  Just glad that after a few years of watching him get ping ponged around when he drove the ball without a call, the refs are now getting a bit more involved.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 11:15:32 AM »

Plus Tax.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »
Hi

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:51 PM »
Dauster's NPOY conversation.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/01/15/player-of-the-year-power-rankings-ja-morant-moves-into-the-top-five/

From the article:

Howard had 26 points, six boards and six assists in a win over a good Seton Hall team on Saturday, and no one paid any attention to it.

Including some Scoopers!

That's not fair, really. Everything has to be quantified. Markus would have been a fine SOTG, even though I had Sacar or Theo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson