[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Georgetown  (Read 1433 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Georgetown
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »
GT had a couple head scratching losses and close games against bad teams in the non-con, but they've started conference play strong.  Wins @Butler and vs. Providence. 

Govan is a beast.  Freshman Akinjo and McClung averaging 14.5 and 12.6, respectively.  Play 8-10 guys most nights, so depth is not a huge concern. 

I am expecting a close game and another tough Big East road challenge.  Gtown's attendance is way down, and its a Tuesday night - so probably won't be a super raucous crowd.

Let's get that W!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:20:55 AM »
Biggest game of the year.  Would be nice to get out to a quick start early.

As always, the only way I worry about our defense this year is if we play in transition a lot, which means we need to limit our live ball turnovers.  That's how Seton Hall got back into the game and really is the only way I think we lose this game.  Value the basketball and I think we win pretty comfortably.  Unfortunately that's been an issue all year long, so I'm expecting it to come down to the wire.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »
do we know yet if morrow is out,  questionable, or ready to play?

It would be a huge loss to not have him with their bigs,  already missing his tough play.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:51:18 AM »
do we know yet if morrow is out,  questionable, or ready to play?

It would be a huge loss to not have him with their bigs, already missing his tough play.

Govan is their only true big and he plays offense around the line.  Trey Mourning should be out with a bad back.

LeBlanc is a 6ft 7 inch freshman, Johnson plays less than 10 minutes a game.  This about it for them upfront. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:53:28 AM »
How can we 'already be missing his tough play' if we have not yet played a game without him?   It has been 48 hours.   Nobody knows the extent of the injury.   Nobody knows whether or not he practiced or to what extent.      We played a half without him.   MU won the game.    Matt is an experienced Big East center.     

Any conference road game is tough.    I expect nothing less against Georgetown. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:21:13 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »
Gtown's attendance is way down, and its a Tuesday night - so probably won't be a super raucous crowd.

Let's get that W!

Also, DC got a foot of snow yesterday.  Most offices are closed today. It wouldn’t impact attendance in Milwaukee but people in DC can’t deal with snow so hopefully the crowd is small and not a huge factor.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »
Will be interesting to see how they defend us. I think Howard would eat both McClung or Akinjo alive. Pickett is a long and mobile defender, the exact kind that Howard struggles against, but if you put him there, who do their two small guards defend?

Leblanc and Govan seem like a better version of Nzei and Mamu to me. Both of them had a big game against us on Saturday. They might be easier to defend because I think part of the issue was that they were being left alone so we could get some help defense on Powell. Govan is their main offensive threat so we should be able to spend more attention to the post.

I think Howard/Anim should be able to handle Akinjo and McClung on the defensive end. They can both put up big numbers but are very inefficient.

I like the idea of LeBlanc having to guard Joey out on the perimeter. I also like the idea of going small and making Govan chase Joey around the perimeter all game. Wouldn't be surprised if Georgetown reverted to a zone to protect their two tiny guards and Govan's legs.

Preseason I predicted a loss and those predictions haven't been wrong yet. However, that prediction was made because I figured we needed a "WTF" loss at some point. Think we are the better team and should win though it will be uncomfortably close for most of the game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.