[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: You Buying This NFL Conspiracy Theory?  (Read 5458 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: You Buying This NFL Conspiracy Theory?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »
Yup.
Looks like Heisy's conspiracy theory is an impossibility because even if Lawrence would go to the XFL or anywhere else, his only entry to the NFL is through the draft.

Article 6, Section 2 (d) of the CBA:
No player shall be eligible to be employed by an NFL Club until he has been eligible for selection in an NFL Draft.

Two issues here ...

How fast does Lawrence want to make money?  How worried is he about injury affecting his income potential before getting paid? If the answer is "fast" and "worried" then he has the XFL option when they start in a year.

Second ... is he like Elway and Manning and particular about the team he plays for?  If the "wrong" team" drafts him, he can wait them out a year in the XFL until he becomes a free agent.

Related to this, what would Kraft and Jones stop at to get him?  Answer ... nothing.  Fines and loss of draft picks are just the cost of doing business.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 11:22:02 AM »

Two issues here ...

How fast does Lawrence want to make money?  How worried is he about injury affecting his income potential before getting paid? If the answer is "fast" and "worried" then he has the XFL option when they start in a year.

What does that have to Bob and/or Jerry crafting a wily conspiracy to get Lawrence in New England or Dallas?

Second ... is he like Elway and Manning and particular about the team he plays for?  If the "wrong" team" drafts him, he can wait them out a year in the XFL until he becomes a free agent.

That's not how it works. If Lawrence gets drafted and refuses to sign with the team that drafts him, he doesn't become a free agent. He goes back into the draft.

Related to this, what would Kraft and Jones stop at to get him?  Answer ... nothing.  Fines and loss of draft picks are just the cost of doing business.

What are you suggesting? Do you somehow believe Jerry is going to just sign Lawrence and the league's 31 other owners will just stand by and way "Welp, you got us this time, you rascal." Lawrence would be ineligible to play.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
Wait, was I just not paying attention to the username, or did heise already change his username since being called out?

Yeah, I’m buying that heise simply needs more attention and wants his clicks, and that is 100% what this thread is for. Heise knows, as we all do, that this will not happen, but he’ll keep asking questions just to say, “See, this is how a thread runs! What a great discussion we have going!”

I didn't realize that he already changed his name (again) and this was the reincarnation. I wouldn't have even engaged in discussion as it is pointless and futile. We already have the goalposts shifting to an unrecognizable degree.

Uggh.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 11:42:50 AM »
That's not how it works. If Lawrence gets drafted and refuses to sign with the team that drafts him, he doesn't become a free agent. He goes back into the draft.

Ok, you are correct, and he reenters the draft.

But, it is a distinction without a difference because the results are the same either way. 

If he has the ability to make money in the XFL he can wait it out until the team that wants him has his rights.  Draft picks are too valuable to waste on a guy that does not want to play for your team. (the CBA says you cannot make money in Canada waiting it out but the XFL did not exist when the agreement was struck)

So a team can trade his rights to the team he wants, or wait until the team he wants takes him (see Kelly in the USFL in the early 1980s)

The point is Lawrence is at another level.  He is believed to be the biggest franchise maker in decades. He can demand things no one else can. Related to this ...

On Dan Partick's show they asked if Green Bay could have Lawrence this spring, but had to cut Rogers, would they do it?  He thought yes.  Same with Brady in New England (because one of 40 and the other is 19). Same with New Orleans (age again).

They listed only five QBs in the league right now you would not cut over Lawrence ... Mahomes, Luck, Darnold (given his potential), Goff and Mayfield.

Again, the reason we are talking about Lawrence this way is he is unlike any college players in decades, or ever.  Sure he might the next Todd Marinovich or Tony Mandarich.  But everything I read is this is the NFL thinks this kid is the next Manning/Brady.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:47:36 AM by Rick Majerus' Towel »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 12:10:14 PM »
So, why are we saying Jerry or Bob can't get him through the draft? Trade.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
So, why are we saying Jerry or Bob can't get him through the draft? Trade.

Because that is too simple and obvious.

Clearly we need to have a lengthy discussion, involving impossible scenarios, that spiral into a never ending moving goalpost, before the thread gets locked.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »

Two issues here ...

They could lose their franchises.  Literally.  It is outlined clearly in the bylaws as an owner.  They won’t do it.

I work with Cowboys nearly daily.  Kraft is on our calls for TV broadcast revenue, his son for digital revenue side.  Not going to happen. No way, no how would they do it.  Absurd to even suggest it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
Tom Brady's agent offers Trevor Lawrence contract for new league

https://247sports.com/Article/Tom-Brady-agent-Trevor-Lawrence-Don-Yee-offer-Clemson-Tigers-quarterback-professional-football-league-128541978/

After quarterback Trevor Lawrence, as a true freshman, helped the Clemson Tigers defeat the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 2019 College Football Playoff National Championship, there was a mountain of opinions on the potential of Lawrence's NFL future.

Some NFL executives reportedly even went as far as to say Lawrence would be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft if he was able to enter this year. Of course, current NFL rules dictate that a player must be at least three years removed from high school to enter the draft.

So Lawrence is out of options if he wanted to leave Clemson before his next two college seasons expire, right? Not so fast, says Don Yee, who is the longtime agent of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady; Brady is preparing to play against the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl LIII Sunday in Atlanta.

Yee is one of the founders of the Pacific Pro Football League, and he made a contract offer to Lawrence during a radio appearance on 104.5 The Zone in Nashville. Unlike other new professional leagues, such as the the Alliance of American Football (AAF) and the rebooted XFL, the Pacific Pro Football League is marketing itself as an opportunity for players who are not yet eligible to enter the NFL draft.

"Our player population, for example, will be players such as Trevor Lawrence at Clemson," Yee said. "We would like to make him an employment offer, professionalize right away. Be our Joe Namath. Adidas is one of our founding sponsors, and I think they might want to make him an endorsement proposal. And he would be professional, and he would learn an NFL style of game with us before he declares for the draft."

The league is scheduled to begin play in July 2019, and it will include four teams that each have 50 players. The rosters will be entirely comprised of players that would be ineligible for the NFL, and Yee says the league is going after players, such as Lawrence, that have NFL potential — athletes that are often 247Sports Composite four or five-star recruits.

"Players will receive a salary, benefits, and even paid tuition and books for one year at community college," the Pacific Pro Football League website says. "Players also will be able to market themselves for compensation, and begin creating a financial retirement plan if they so choose. Pacific Pro’s top priority will be the proper development of the player, on and off the field, using professional protocols.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:14:23 PM by Rick Majerus' Towel »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »
Didn't see this thread the first time, but...I do have a question for anyone that knows...

Why doesn't Nike / Adidas / UA /etc give him a couple million $, pay for training, and hype him for 2 years to avoid the whole college thing?  Why risk injury playing  anywhere but the NFL for the next 2 years, and seems like a good investment for a guaranteed contract for the athletic apparel company.

I don't follow this much, so maybe it's not allowed, or companies don't actually want to put up that dough.  It all seems silly to me that the kid can't go pro and make money now.  But that's a debate that has been argued here a bunch...

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
Didn't see this thread the first time, but...I do have a question for anyone that knows...

Why doesn't Nike / Adidas / UA /etc give him a couple million $, pay for training, and hype him for 2 years to avoid the whole college thing?  Why risk injury playing  anywhere but the NFL for the next 2 years, and seems like a good investment for a guaranteed contract for the athletic apparel company.

I don't follow this much, so maybe it's not allowed, or companies don't actually want to put up that dough.  It all seems silly to me that the kid can't go pro and make money now.  But that's a debate that has been argued here a bunch...

I’ll attempt an answer.

Brady is the GOAT and playing in his 9th Super Bowl tomorrow.  So who is the next GOAT that will play in many superbowls?

Most think it is Mahomes and Lawrence. 

So until Lawrence, no college player has had this level of hype (Rivals had him as the highest rated HS recruit EVER). So, they don’t know what to do until Lawrence becuase they never had to think about it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »

NFL scouts aren't going to care if a player skips a bowl game.  They will care if he skips two whole seasons.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2019, 05:10:40 PM »
Look, if a star quarterback wants to play for a specific team, he will! Period.

Not many of you remember John Elway was drafted out of Stanford by the Indianapolis Colts. Mr. Elway never played a single down for the Colts and made it clear he would never sign with them. His rights were traded to the Denver Broncos.

If an all-world quarterback said, "I want to play for the Dallas Cowboys" and played the same game Mr. Elway did, I'm sure the NFL would find a way. Unless Jerry Jones made it clear he did not want him (yeah, right!).

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2019, 05:54:46 PM »
Look, if a star quarterback wants to play for a specific team, he will! Period.

Not many of you remember John Elway was drafted out of Stanford by the Indianapolis Colts. Mr. Elway never played a single down for the Colts and made it clear he would never sign with them. His rights were traded to the Denver Broncos.

If an all-world quarterback said, "I want to play for the Dallas Cowboys" and played the same game Mr. Elway did, I'm sure the NFL would find a way. Unless Jerry Jones made it clear he did not want him (yeah, right!).

Eli Manning did the same

San Diego was told not to pick him so they took Philip Rivers.  Worked out for the Chargers but Manning did not go to San Diego

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »
Maurice, I guess you forgot that you actually won your case and then it was overturned on appeal. (FYI - now Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor overturned the ruling when she was on the appellate court.)

You dropped it because tOSU threw you out of school on some trumped up academic violation charges (no one takes classes at tOSU).  You also did not help your situation by getting arrested for armed robbery.

Lawrence could sue and now not suffer because of it.  Clemson will probably not run him out of school.  And if they did, Oliver Luck has a big checkbook waiting for him.

...and, he liked to get his "goose" on. 

no pun intended goose.  reference to his penchant for the vodka
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback