[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by PointWarrior
[Today at 01:43:07 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Pirates SOTG  (Read 12784 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Pirates SOTG
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2019, 05:29:14 PM »
Similar to when we had this discussion when Henry was here, not all rebound are created equal.  Getting a double double with 6 Oboards is huge.  Throw in the 3 blocks, and however many other alterations (even with 2 goaltendings).  Also only 1 TO (partially due to his position and style of play), and only 3 fouls, for a guy that has been forced to play sub 20 mpg because of foul trouble.  Theo was a beast.  I won't complain if Markus gets it, but if Theo continues to play like that, we will win a lot of basketball games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
Wasn’t just Markus though.  The defense that Sacar and Theo were playing is another reason we were up ten instead of two.  Scoring is not the only way to contribute.  Best scorer is not always man of the match.

Yup.  And Sacar had a great offensive first half.  Laughable to say we would've been down 20 without Markus going into winning time.  Markus shot 35% and had 5 turnovers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 05:35:38 PM »
Wasn’t just Markus though.  The defense that Sacar and Theo were playing is another reason we were up ten instead of two.  Scoring is not the only way to contribute.  Best scorer is not always man of the match.

Not always, just in this case   ;)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2019, 05:42:48 PM »
I dunno. All we talked about for 3 years here was how horsebleep our defense was. Now some of us say that in this particular game we like the defensive performance of two guys -- who also contributed quite a bit on offense -- and it's some kind proof that we don't appreciate Markus or some sign that we're stoopid?

I don't believe at any point I said stoopid or anything of the sort. But it seems a bit ridiculous and recency biased to see everyone saying Theo when Markus was our offense in the first half when we staked a 10 point lead and if the Hausers don't go ice cold from 3, it's probably 26/6/11.

I'm not saying Theo is a bad choice, but I remember days when 26 on its own would be automatic SOTG. Markus does it and virtually everyone is ho-hum.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »
I dunno. All we talked about for 3 years here was how horsebleep our defense was. Now some of us say that in this particular game we like the defensive performance of two guys -- who also contributed quite a bit on offense -- and it's some kind proof that we don't appreciate Markus or some sign that we're stoopid?

Brew will only vote for Markus as SOTG.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »
Theo

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2019, 06:12:20 PM »
I believe that Stud can be won with defense.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2019, 06:13:50 PM »
Big Theo!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2019, 06:20:11 PM »
Brew will only vote for Markus as SOTG.

Only when he deserves it. Voted for Chartouny and Morrow this year too. He just deserves it often.

When a guy accounts for 57% of our points, is second in rebounding, and first in steals, it probably deserves some recognition.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »
I'll add...Ners was right. He was right about Rowsey. Our offense isn't what it was. Our defense is much better, but Wojo has a lot of work to do to get us close to last year. Without Markus, we wouldn't have an effective offense at all. So when he puts up monster numbers again and Scoop collectively shrugs, I'll point it out. I'll also note Pomeroy had Markus as MVP, his seventh of the year, so that's pretty in line with the site.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2019, 07:02:10 PM »
Wocky’s Gonna do what Wocky does, but I’d say:

1.  Markus. Again, we don’t win without him putting us up 10 in the first half.
2.  Theo. Monster. Both him and his game.
3.  Sacar. Great D, stepped up when needed.
4.  Sammy. 1,000 says a lot. So smooth.

Let’s get after Gtown. Go Warriors!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2019, 07:03:52 PM »
I don't believe at any point I said stoopid or anything of the sort. But it seems a bit ridiculous and recency biased to see everyone saying Theo when Markus was our offense in the first half when we staked a 10 point lead and if the Hausers don't go ice cold from 3, it's probably 26/6/11.

I'm not saying Theo is a bad choice, but I remember days when 26 on its own would be automatic SOTG. Markus does it and virtually everyone is ho-hum.

But what about Sacar? He was the one who also scored with Markus in the 1H. He contained one of the leagues best players. He knocked down key 3s in the 1H when no one else could buy a shot. He had two key buckets to immediately answer SHU tying the game. He also made the winning play finding Joey.

Markus had a great stat line and could win the SOTG. But he also was brutal for basically a whole half. It’s not unreasonable to think Sacar and even Theo had more studly impact.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2019, 07:16:17 PM »
Something to consider when choosing SOTG.  Did we win with our offense, or our defense?  Before SH fouled Joey with 27 seconds left, we only scored 26 points in the first 19:30 of the half.  While that's not terrible, it's not the offensive game that we had against CU. 

This game was won with defense.  At the under 16 in the first half SH had 10 points.  At the under 4, they had 21.  Only allowing 11 points over that 12 minute stretch is how we were up 10 at half.  With 6 1/2 minutes left, SH had 58 points.  Holding them to 8 the rest of the game, when they were extending is how we were able to win.  There will be games where we win with our offense, and in those games Markus will likely be stud, this just was not one of them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »
I would have no issue with Markus being selected. He was the biggest factor on offense. I think Theo was the biggest factor on the defensive end and the game was won on the defensive end. That's why I picked Theo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2019, 07:49:07 PM »
Theo.

Played 31 minutes (a career high), scored 10 points, pulled down 11 rebounds (another career high, including 6 on the offensive end), blocked 3 shots and altered countless more. Plus a steal and an assist. And he only committed 3 fouls.

Theo's defensive presence changed the game. He neutralized Seton Hall's slashers and inside players almost single-handedly. The result was the 2nd worst offensive efficiency of the season for the Pirates.

Markus, Sam and Sacar all made big contributions. But Theo was the stud of this game.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

fjm

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »
Kenpom also has Markus as the game MVP. I understand he was just okay for him, but he was still SOTG

KenPom. The same KenPom who everyone keeps quoting WISCONSIN MADISON BADGERS as the 15th best in country?  I’m beginning to double think him.

(BLAH FUGGIN BLAH about how it’s tempo related, just cause Curtis Ken
Pompey says so doesn’t mean it’s always right.)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2019, 08:07:53 PM »
Theo altered so many shots and filled the stat sheet. Theo for SOTG.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2019, 08:27:32 PM »
I think Markus. If he was a freshman and we did not know his greatness we would all vote for  him immediately

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2019, 08:44:30 PM »
Theo definitely the stud.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2019, 08:47:02 PM »
If any player did what Markus did today they would win this award

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2019, 09:26:20 PM »
We needed every one of the points that Markus scored. He put up 26, was 9-9 from the line, grabbed 6 boards, dished 6 assists and had 2 steals.

However...he shot just 4-11 (36.4%) from 2-point range, 3-9 (33.3%) from beyond the arc, and had 5 turnovers. For someone who used so many possessions, he didn't use them very efficiently -- which helped keep Seton Hall in the game. Not the most studly performance in this game, in my opinion.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2019, 10:55:33 PM »
After the game I was thinking Sacar. Then read the thread and started to reconsider Theo. He did a lot of nice work this game. Considered the Markus arguments but his second half dragged him down. Sure all 26 points were needed and he did not play a bad game, but just not SOTG worthy considering Sacar and Theo contributions. In the end, Sacar made the play of the game and that's what tipped the scales in his favor over Theo.

Everyone can move on now.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2019, 12:01:07 AM »

Brew dont disagree, i personally voted for theo on what he did alone.  Down the stretch layups, rebounds, blocks, and made free throws all during winning time.  Markus had a great first half unfortunately when the tide was turning he was turning the ball over n chucking up airballs.  Im inclined to agree with you, but i think theo stood out enuff to day to trump markuss efforts.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2019, 01:30:37 AM »
Theo. Defense won this game.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2019, 09:20:59 AM »
TJ. Even though he was charged with a foul for screening a guy off Markus, a SH defender kind of bounced off him--like he hit a wall. He did. Maybe the guy was tryng sell the foul but it was great picture of pure strength.