collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jayme Close found alive  (Read 11218 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Jayme Close found alive
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »
Grant her the strength to survive the trial and the perseverance to heal.

Completely irrational and random acts like this have the same effect on the public psyche as terrorism... maybe one might expect this in a foreign country or a big city.  But it only shows that no matter how much effort you expend to avoid risk, evil can still find you.

Subject facing two counts of murder and one kidnapping.  Each one probably has life sentence.  Don't believe Wisconsin executes felons, so no discussions of downward plea.  In light of the overwhelming evidence as detailed in complaint (which doesn't include all, just enough for probable cause), to include a confession, probably no trial and victim will be spared with the terror of testifying. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2019, 06:45:16 PM »
Subject facing two counts of murder and one kidnapping.  Each one probably has life sentence.  Don't believe Wisconsin executes felons, so no discussions of downward plea.  In light of the overwhelming evidence as detailed in complaint (which doesn't include all, just enough for probable cause), to include a confession, probably no trial and victim will be spared with the terror of testifying.

3 squares and a cot a day for the rest of his life?  Yes, yes, it costs less.  I'd be happy to start a GoFundMe to cover the differential in cost to have him go straight to Dante's place.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2019, 07:09:00 PM »
sending this dude to the pen is a death sentence.  even prisoners have morals and if it comes out this scum bag had his way with a 13 year old for 88 days, he'll be in huggies for a few days, but i don't think he'll make it back into to training pants. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »
sending this dude to the pen is a death sentence.  even prisoners have morals and if it comes out this scum bag had his way with a 13 year old for 88 days, he'll be in huggies for a few days, but i don't think he'll make it back into to training pants.

I like certainty with things like this, but I get your point. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »

Incidentally, Wisconsin was the first state to abolish the death penalty.

So unless there’s a federal prosecution involved, the only question about how this guy spends the rest of his final days is: Portage or Waupun?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 12:20:22 AM »
Incidentally, Wisconsin was the first state to abolish the death penalty.

So unless there’s a federal prosecution involved, the only question about how this guy spends the rest of his final days is: Portage or Waupun?

I believe it was Michigan first

reinko

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2019, 07:39:46 AM »
3 squares and a cot a day for the rest of his life?  Yes, yes, it costs less.  I'd be happy to start a GoFundMe to cover the differential in cost to have him go straight to Dante's place.

Wow, a GoFundMe for death!  Awesome.  But I guess from the guy who once advocated putting executions on PPV, not terribly surprised.

While I know you are being a bit tongue and cheek, kind of weird obsession you might have surrounding money and killing folks.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »
Wow, a GoFundMe for death!  Awesome.  But I guess from the guy who once advocated putting executions on PPV, not terribly surprised.

While I know you are being a bit tongue and cheek, kind of weird obsession you might have surrounding money and killing folks.

George Carlin told cheecks about the death penalty on PPV while rehearsing his Live in New York show.  Ask cheeks, he'll tell you.  They wee in Jerry jones' skybox.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2019, 08:41:27 AM »
They wee in Jerry jones' skybox.

That seems rude. We’re the line’s yo the restroom really THAT long?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2019, 09:38:52 AM »
I’m admittedly ignorant about law and the bail system at large but why was he granted bail after he confessed to the crimes?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
I’m admittedly ignorant about law and the bail system at large but why was he granted bail after he confessed to the crimes?

A confession is not an admission of guilt and neither is a conviction.  In the eyes of the court, he is still innocent until proven guilty, i.e. convicted.

Depending on the jurisdiction, some judges will, on principle, grant bail every time, but when it's a felony case and the person is dangerous and/or a flight risk, the judge will set it so extraordinarily high that it's effectively denying of bail.  Other judges will deny bail to anyone and everyone in a capital murder case.  And some judges will simply take your AAA card if you're white and belong to the same country club.

The only times you really see a judge deny bail outright are when the accused is a likely flight risk and/or has the financial capacity to post whatever bail is set... or the crime is so heinous that the public cannot risk the possibility that bail might be posted.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:57:36 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
A confession is not an admission of guilt and neither is a conviction.  In the eyes of the court, he is still innocent until proven guilty, i.e. convicted.

Depending on the jurisdiction, some judges will, on principle, grant bail every time, but when it's a felony case and the person is dangerous and/or a flight risk, the judge will set it so extraordinarily high that it's effectively denying of bail.  Other judges will deny bail to anyone and everyone in a capital murder case.  And some judges will simply take your AAA card if you're white and belong to the same country club.

The only times you really see a judge deny bail outright are when the accused is a likely flight risk and/or has the financial capacity to post whatever bail is set... or the crime is so heinous that the public cannot risk the possibility that bail might be posted.

Correct, but if the subject was a Wall Street Hedge Fund Manager and took the girl to his vacation cottage, there would be no bail, just as you stated in last paragraph.

The Judge in this case looked at the probationary pre trial financial report and figured out the family doesn't have the appropriate funds to bail the subject out, so set at 5 million. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »
That seems rude. We’re the line’s yo the restroom really THAT long?

Try again using real English. Yo.....

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2019, 01:55:17 PM »
That seems rude. We’re Were the line’s lines yo to the restroom really THAT long?
  FIFY.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2019, 02:28:39 PM »
Ugggh auto-correct has been getting me a lot lately
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2019, 04:32:24 PM »

While your second sentence may be correct, your first is simply untrue.

A couple dictionary definitions:
       An admission of guilt, fault, or a mistake.
       A formal statement admitting that one is guilty of a crime.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2019, 04:39:01 PM »

I'm guessing it's missing an "it"

A confession is not an admission of guilt and neither is it a conviction.  In the eyes of the court, he is still innocent until proven guilty, i.e. convicted.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2019, 04:44:02 PM »
  In the eyes of the court, he is still innocent until proven guilty, i.e. convicted.

Or pleads guilty. 
Ludum habemus.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »
I’m surprised this monster didn’t deny he did it. The most deranged people tend to continue to lie and refuse to admit guilt even when all evidence, facts, and circumstances point to their guilt.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »
I’m surprised this monster didn’t deny he did it. The most deranged people tend to continue to lie and refuse to admit guilt even when all evidence, facts, and circumstances point to their guilt.

Yeah, thats not accurate. In this case, the evidence is probably overwhelming and this might have been the first crime he has committed.  The background/timeline being conducted on him will resolve this question, but based upon the initial reporting, glad they got him early.  Just think, if the girl had gotten off the bus two minutes earlier or if the subject had made a stop somewhere in his car, he would of never seen the victim.  It probably would have been someone else later on. 

As far as other subjects who have committed such offenses for years and then get caught, aka a serial killer, the majority of them do confess.  These are the extremely deranged personalities.  These subjects, when evidence is overwhelming, love to discuss their criminal acts because it brings them recollection of their crimes and the fantasies involved.  Want good examples of this, read the stories of Edmund Kemper, Gary Ridgway and John Gacy. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »

from the looks of his digs, prison may be an upgrade, eyn'a?  i doubt the dude is smart enough to realize that his roommate will probably be a little more aggressive than his previous prisoner

btw-interesting moniker there mud ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
from the looks of his digs, prison may be an upgrade, eyn'a?  i doubt the dude is smart enough to realize that his roommate will probably be a little more aggressive than his previous prisoner

btw-interesting moniker there mud ;)

I hate to disappoint, but sex offenders often are housed together exactly to avoid what you're talking about. So if you're conjuring up some revenge fantasy where this guy gets his just desserts from his cellie, you might be disappointed.
Like it or not, the prisons have a Constitutional obligation (and some would say moral and ethical obligations) to protect those in government custody.

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.” ― Fyodor Dostoevsky

"A calm and dispassionate recognition of the rights of the accused against the State, and even of convicted criminals against the State … a desire and eagerness to rehabilitate in the world of industry all those who have paid their dues in the hard coinage of punishment … and an unfaltering faith that there is a treasure, if you can only find it, in the heart of every man — these are the symbols which in the treatment of crime and criminals mark and measure the stored-up strength of a nation, and are the sign and proof of the living virtue in it." - Winston Churchill
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:49:45 PM by Pakuni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2019, 05:43:54 PM »
Yeah, thats not accurate. In this case, the evidence is probably overwhelming and this might have been the first crime he has committed.  The background/timeline being conducted on him will resolve this question, but based upon the initial reporting, glad they got him early.  Just think, if the girl had gotten off the bus two minutes earlier or if the subject had made a stop somewhere in his car, he would of never seen the victim.  It probably would have been someone else later on. 

As far as other subjects who have committed such offenses for years and then get caught, aka a serial killer, the majority of them do confess.  These are the extremely deranged personalities.  These subjects, when evidence is overwhelming, love to discuss their criminal acts because it brings them recollection of their crimes and the fantasies involved.  Want good examples of this, read the stories of Edmund Kemper, Gary Ridgway and John Gacy.

Or watch mind hunters on Netflix!

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2019, 06:09:31 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2019, 06:41:17 PM »

Thanks, Webster, but the law defines confessions, pleas and convictions a bit differently.