[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Best MU shot ever?

Hauser at Creighton
13 (6.2%)
Vander against Davidson in NCAA
58 (27.8%)
Novak for 3 against ND
26 (12.4%)
Butch to Whitehead in NCAA Semi
89 (42.6%)
Doc from half court against ND
19 (9.1%)
Other?
4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: January 11, 2019, 01:39:51 PM

Author Topic: Greatest MU Shot of All Time - Poll  (Read 7218 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Greatest MU Shot of All Time - Poll
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2019, 08:35:07 PM »
Heer ya goe, hey?

MILWAUKEE, Feb. 5 (AP)—Maurice Lucas sank a 20‐foot jump shot at the buzzer tonight to give sixth‐ranked Marquette a 59‐58 basketball victory over Wisconsin.

The Warriors trailed by 9 points with 6½ minutes to play before storming back.

Lucas connected after Wisconsin blew a chance to increase its 58‐57 lead when Kim Hughes missed a pair of free throws with 17 seconds left.

Marquette grabbed the rebound and worked the ball into the front court. Lucas, bothered by a sore shoulder, dropped a pass from Dave Delsman but recovered the ball, turned around and fired from the left of the key. The shot went through as the buzzer sounded.

The Badgers, whose starting line‐up averages 6 feet 8 inches, controlled the boards most of the way and rattled the Warriors with a zone press.
Delsman was a good puncher too.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »
Agree on the Dameon Mason's shot.

But Dominic James dominance at Valpo in Nov 2006, and that game winning shot, was in Top 5 for me.   

https://gomarquette.com/news/2006/11/27/James_Delivers_65_62_Victory_over_Valpo.aspx?path=mbball

Eye

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:58 AM »
Voted for Whitehead, but being in the gym in Louisville for both Hutchins and Wardle's shots will always be big for me personally. God I'd love to start a non-conference home-and-home with them again.
GO WARRIORS!

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2019, 08:25:52 AM »
jsglow

While I loved the moment last night, Sam's would be last on that list for me. After J in '77, Doc's half court to beat ND was most excited in my lifetime.

Mother Goose

I also voted for Doc's shot against ND, mainly because I know him and that I was there in person. Simply put, one of most dramatic sporting moments I have witnessed personally.

For impact, though, there is no question Butch to J was epic.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2019, 08:43:18 AM »
Yeah, I was there too.  1977 is just somore important.  Though, Luke’s shot and Al’s table dance were extremely nice as well.

That would have been my Number 2 as well. It was at home and it was against the Red Rodent.

But.... a NatChamp is still a NatChamp and there would be no NatChamp without Jerome and Butch. And, there may well be no Marquette basketball, given the stance of folks that ran the place in the 1980s, were it not for the NatChamp. Or worse, we could be Loyola with one or two shining moments but we'd be spending our lives playing Bradley, Illinois State and Southern Illinois.

We're a force to be reckoned with today. Maybe we will get back to where we should be and once were. But without Butch and Jerome, God only knows where we would be today!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2019, 08:49:27 AM »
theBabyDavid

A lot of great one's to pick from. After further review, Luke's #2 on my list followed by Doc. Have a ton of great memories of Doc and Marc, pre "issue", and loved the ND win. Luke's shot was memorable in many ways. Though, too young to have celebrated it like I would today, it was an unbelievable win. I remember that day/night like it was yesterday. For the record, Luke was one bad dude and a very, very nice guy. To boot, he was very smart and knew how to make and save a buck.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »
theBabyDavid

A lot of great one's to pick from. After further review, Luke's #2 on my list followed by Doc. Have a ton of great memories of Doc and Marc, pre "issue", and loved the ND win. Luke's shot was memorable in many ways. Though, too young to have celebrated it like I would today, it was an unbelievable win. I remember that day/night like it was yesterday. For the record, Luke was one bad dude and a very, very nice guy. To boot, he was very smart and knew how to make and save a buck.

Goose

The Vander Blue drive was pure chutzpah. That SOB absolutely, positively knew he had it. There was never a question which made it priceless.

"issue"  Well put

"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

Goose

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2019, 09:14:16 AM »
Crash

Vander played old school confidence. I agree, he knew he was going to make the game winner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2019, 09:17:37 AM »
I’d add Damian Masons buzzer beater vs Louisville to the list
I still have that game on tape. Kevin Harlan and Dan Bonner on the call on CBS! Great game at the BC.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

McCormick Survivor

• Walk-On
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2019, 09:41:06 AM »
The "Doc Shot" description is exactly right.  I remember yelling at Digger as he walked into the tunnel to leave: "Touch Down Marquette"!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YdFoXZo2-OI&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YdFoXZo2-OI&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VXpej6ZLGhs&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VXpej6ZLGhs&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
No bucket by Jerome Whitehead and there is no National Championship.  That simple.

Actually, not that simple.  If they don't count that bucket, we go to overtime and have a chance to win. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5u8JuNltiw
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »
I LOVE listening to Homer.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
Does anyone have video of Dameon Mason's shot?  I haven't seen it since it happened live.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »
Remember watching both those UL shots as a kid. The Wardle game, I remember them being down double digits and DeMarcus Minor giving them a spark off the bench.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2019, 11:46:59 AM »
Remember watching both those UL shots as a kid. The Wardle game, I remember them being down double digits and DeMarcus Minor giving them a spark off the bench.

It was fun finding the recordings and putting those little videos (with pictures) together.  I actually have video from Hutch's shot, but it is really poor.  Going to mess with it when I have some time to see if I can clean it up and post it.  Back then the video encoding for files was not good, they were very small, just not up to snuff by today's standards...hell, it was over 20 years ago and I was putting that stuff together for gomarquette.com with pretty much zero tools or experience. Learning on the fly.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2019, 02:17:13 PM »
Does anyone have video of Dameon Mason's shot?  I haven't seen it since it happened live.

If anyone would have it, it would be you.

dannyb334

• Walk-On
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »
One that I haven't seen mentioned here was Jae's shot vs. Washington in 2011. Coming off a win in the Kohl Hole, stayed undefeated at 8-0, MSG, national television. Probably felt bigger at the time, especially with the undefeated season on the line, but a HUGE shot nonetheless.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2019, 05:52:03 PM »
Heer's won four y'all AKs, Maurice Lucas' jumpa ta beet Bucky and keep the home streak goin', hey?

hey doc. i think they meant after glass ;D

i'm gonna age myself here a little, but i remember walking in to the old arena seeing a plume of tabacky smoke above the floor that would make cheech n chong blush
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2019, 05:58:54 PM »
theBabyDavid

they took it kinda hard-
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2019, 06:30:22 PM »
One that I haven't seen mentioned here was Jae's shot vs. Washington in 2011. Coming off a win in the Kohl Hole, stayed undefeated at 8-0, MSG, national television. Probably felt bigger at the time, especially with the undefeated season on the line, but a HUGE shot nonetheless.
That was a very key shot to keeping our momentum that season.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2019, 07:46:28 PM »
Yeah, there can be all sorts of categories here.

Biggest shot I witnessed in person definitely was Rivers' 3. Means a little more to me because it was against ND, because I was a student at the time and because I really like Glenn as a person.

Most of us agree that Whitehead's bucket belongs at the top because of the importance of it. As Return of Chicos said, it wasn't a case of "no basket, no title," though, because the game would have gone into OT and we'll never know what would have happened. Glad we didn't have to find out! I was a 16-year-old HS junior and watched it on TV ... super jealous of all those who were there!!!!

Vander's "make it or go home" shot vs Davidson actually was more of a must-have basket. Add the improbability of all that occurred during the last 80-90 seconds of that game, and it stands out more.

I remember we had a similar thread after that talking about the big shots that year and there actually were a few folks who thought Jake Thomas' 4-point play vs. Syracuse was bigger than Junior's 3 vs. UConn. If the latter doesn't go in, we lose - period. Those who liked the Thomas shot claimed it changed momentum and got the crowd in the game, but the fact is that Syracuse regrouped and rebuilt their lead; one could make a good argument that the Thomas shot wasn't even Marquette's biggest basket that game, let alone that season.

I don't remember the Lucas shot at all. I was too young, living in Connecticut and there was no FoxSports Go or ESPN3 back then!

The Jimmy shots ... they were awesome. Novak - yep, yep. He made a few big ones vs. Missou in the NCAAs.

If I had to vote, I'm obviously going with Whitehead. If we exclude that because it's so obvious or if we limit it to games we witnessed personally, I'd go with Rivers. And Vander's was special to me, too.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2019, 08:06:56 PM »
Rocket
I remember my Dad smoking in his seat in aisle 12 during the game. One of my favorite memories of the Arena was being in the Tip-off room or the hallway outside the aisles and the smoke filled halls. That coupled with the smell of beer, great hot dogs and buttered popcorn remains in my my memory like it was yesterday. Add a top three program in the country, what’s not to love?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2019, 09:09:20 PM »
It's certainly not gonna make an all-time list because of the rest of the season, but Carlino's shot against Creighton was huge. His shot against Georgetown would've been even bigger had his toe been behind the line and we not lost in overtime.

It's too bad that 2015 team was such a disappointment, because Carlino was a stud that year. Wish he could've played in the postseason for us.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback