[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Play To Setup The Play  (Read 2734 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Play To Setup The Play
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:02:18 AM »
Lost in Howard’s night and the Hauser shot was the underrated and vastly important play by Chartouny. Creighton is up 5 with 8 seconds left, Hauser misses a 3, Chartouny gets a huge rebound, misses, gets another rebound, stays with it for the put back. By staying with it and making it at .8, instead of 1.8 was of tremendous importance. In my opinion, with over a second left, Creighton much more likely to just inbound and either assume an MU foul or clock run out.

That sequence gets lost in the shuffle, but was huge.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Play To Setup The Play
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 12:04:28 AM »
Lost in Howard’s night and the Hauser shot was the underrated and vastly important play by Chartouny. Creighton is up 5 with 8 seconds left, Hauser misses a 3, Chartouny gets a huge rebound, misses, gets another rebound, stays with it for the put back. By staying with it and making it at .8, instead of 1.8 was of tremendous importance. In my opinion, with over a second left, Creighton much more likely to just inbound and either assume an MU foul or clock run out.

That sequence gets lost in the shuffle, but was huge.

The refs also put time back on the clock from .6 to .8 after that make.  Also huge.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 07:36:08 AM »
Agreed. It took a perfect storm for that comeback to happen, and Chartouny missing the first shot actually allowed us to win. Just crazy.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:43:46 AM »
Jays could have fouled Sam for a 2 shot foul....?

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:47:27 AM »
How about this one.

Joey clearly gets a 3 but is only credited with a 2.  Unlike the Louisville game, the refs did go back and check it and gave us the point we deserved.  Needed that point as it turned out.  Still don’t understand why they never checked it in Louisville game.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »
I totally agree...how many players would put up the second layup with a second left.  Though ironically by making it a 3 point game Marquette would have covered the spread.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 08:09:51 AM »
How about this one.

Joey clearly gets a 3 but is only credited with a 2.  Unlike the Louisville game, the refs did go back and check it and gave us the point we deserved.  Needed that point as it turned out.  Still don’t understand why they never checked it in Louisville game.

Great point.

I was watching at a bar with no volume and I didn't know they gave us the point until I happened to notice the scoreboard said 76-74 after a timeout.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »
I don't think you can underestimate how stupid it was for Creighton to throw the long inbounds pass and not make contact with the ball.  Even if the pass gets deflected by a Marquette defender, there is not an opportunity to get a shot off.  Simply throwing a jump ball in the air wins the game.  The most improbable win I have ever witnessed.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:12:30 AM »
I don't think you can underestimate how stupid it was for Creighton to throw the long inbounds pass and not make contact with the ball.  Even if the pass gets deflected by a Marquette defender, there is not an opportunity to get a shot off.  Simply throwing a jump ball in the air wins the game.  The most improbable win I have ever witnessed.

This. CU might have a beef with the officiating down the stretch (bad both ways)...or the review of Sam's 3...or any number of things.  But none of that would be remembered if...

Reminds me a little of the end of the game vs Bucky in 2015, where we got it right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLY9abaP6WI

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 10:30:01 AM »
Jays could have fouled Sam for a 2 shot foul....?

Foul someone else under the basket for a 2 shot foul.  Grab a jersey, whatever.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
Just have all of your players standing near the free throw line, so no chance to foul on a 3.  Roll the ball towards them, or pass the ball to the player guarding the inbounds.  Just have it touched inside the arc.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:52 AM »
Just have all of your players standing near the free throw line, so no chance to foul on a 3.  Roll the ball towards them, or pass the ball to the player guarding the inbounds.  Just have it touched inside the arc.

Just keep bouncing it off the player guarding the inbound and out of bounds a couple of times. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 10:41:08 AM »

I wonder how many coaches use these .08 video  as a teaching tool.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
Foul someone else under the basket for a 2 shot foul.  Grab a jersey, whatever.

Run the risk of an intentional foul before the inbounds and 2 shots and the ball

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 11:52:19 AM »
It was all a 1 in 1,000,000 situation.  Actually, the odds probably weren't that good.

Over on the Creighton board they're calling for Mac's job.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 12:26:40 PM »
The inbounder could have just handed the ball to Theo and time would have run out without a shot.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 08:00:21 PM »
Was the clock change to .6 legit? Should it have been more or less?

feedback