[Today at 12:08:31 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Theo and Joey defensive plays  (Read 4629 times)

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
Theo and Joey defensive plays
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:51:56 PM »
I know you can't talk defense in a 100-point game, but Joey's positioning to let the length of floor throw go all the way down the court, and Theo's rejection off the backboard and over FOUR Creighton players ready for an offensive rebound get more and more incredible as I keep replaying them tonight.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Theo and Joey defensive plays
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:19:21 PM »
I know you can't talk defense in a 100-point game, but Joey's positioning to let the length of floor throw go all the way down the court, and Theo's rejection off the backboard and over FOUR Creighton players ready for an offensive rebound get more and more incredible as I keep replaying them tonight.

In another post i made the comment that we were down 32-19 with approx. 8 minutes left in first half.  From that point on our defense got much better.  They banked in two 3’s n hit an inbounds at the buzzer too.  Despite those 9 points we out scored them by 13 during the last 28 minutes.  They made shots but we turned up our defensive intensity and i thought we were actually realky good on that end.  Special tip of the cap to Joe C., Theo, and Sam on that end.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 11:45:49 PM »
Yes—Theos block was HUGE! Play of the game if you ask me.
IIRC, Would have been 5 deficit..after MH FTs down to 1 pt. Different ball game.
Love the way Wojo is utilizing/getting/stealing minutes from Joe/Cain/BB.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 11:48:01 PM »
Yes—Theos block was HUGE! Play of the game if you ask me.

Enjoyed Theo's block immensely. And it was important.

But play of the game? Really?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 11:56:43 PM »
Haha—you’re right.....there may have been a bigger one a few minutes later.
Poor wording.....what I should have said was I made note of the play and the time as a potential turning point in the game.
Play of the game was the Wojo T to turn things around. 😉

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:57:37 PM »
Haha—you’re right.....there may have been a bigger one a few minutes later.
Poor wording.....what I should have said was I made note of the play and the time as a potential turning point in the game.
Play of the game was the Wojo T to turn things around. 😉

Nicely said. Have a good one.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 02:05:42 AM »
While usually high scores mean poor defense, it just looked like two teams that were dialed in. Lots of contested shots that usually will miss went in with both teams shooting over 50% from 3 and overall.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 04:40:02 AM »
While I prefer Ed over John all day long, the block by John was turning point in the game. It kept us in the game and changed the momentum.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 06:52:28 AM »
In another post i made the comment that we were down 32-19 with approx. 8 minutes left in first half.  From that point on our defense got much better.  They banked in two 3’s n hit an inbounds at the buzzer too.  Despite those 9 points we out scored them by 13 during the last 28 minutes.  They made shots but we turned up our defensive intensity and i thought we were actually realky good on that end.  Special tip of the cap to Joe C., Theo, and Sam on that end.

This.  An outstanding observation.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 07:04:38 AM »
So many great, and huge plays in that game...Morrow's block, Theo saving the ball inbounds off CU under our bucket late, Sacar penetration and pass behind his back to Theo, who had a good seal and went up strong for the bucket, rebounding... Crazy game.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 07:08:47 AM »
The block and rebounding by Theo down the stretch were huge. Please Theo, work on FTs, because you will be the guy that teams foul down the stretch in close games.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 07:17:05 AM »
‘I thought that Theo’s[John] block was incredible. If those plays are not made we don’t win the game.’
                  —Wojo

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 08:06:37 AM »
While usually high scores mean poor defense, it just looked like two teams that were dialed in. Lots of contested shots that usually will miss went in with both teams shooting over 50% from 3 and overall.

The grade school rims Creighton always has on their hoops doesn't hurt either.  Just get the ball on the rim and it's dropping.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 08:08:44 AM »
Kudos to Wojo for subbing in Theo right before Sacar delivered the beautiful pass that Theo turned into a 3-point play.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
So many great, and huge plays in that game...Morrow's block, Theo saving the ball inbounds off CU under our bucket late, Sacar penetration and pass behind his back to Theo, who had a good seal and went up strong for the bucket, rebounding... Crazy game.

On Morrow's block, I wish he wouldn't have smacked it away so hard.  If he just blocks it with his hand instead of swatting it, Sam is right there to grab it and off we go.  Instead it went out of bounds and Creighton ended up hitting a 3 as time expired.

I don't intend this to be too critical of Morrow, because it was still a great play and I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to think about these things in the heat of the moment, but a simple block would have been much better for us than the highlight swat.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »
On Morrow's block, I wish he wouldn't have smacked it away so hard.  If he just blocks it with his hand instead of swatting it, Sam is right there to grab it and off we go.  Instead it went out of bounds and Creighton ended up hitting a 3 as time expired.

I don't intend this to be too critical of Morrow, because it was still a great play and I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to think about these things in the heat of the moment, but a simple block would have been much better for us than the highlight swat.

Good call, I was thinking the same thing at the time. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:19 PM »
I initially thought the same thing, but Ed had his eye on the ball and I'm sure the last thing he wanted to do on a blocked shot was to softly tap it to an open Bluejay for an easy putback.  In that situation, I prefer the smack out of bounds and take my chances with setting up my defense with a shortened shot clock.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 02:40:24 PM »
I initially thought the same thing, but Ed had his eye on the ball and I'm sure the last thing he wanted to do on a blocked shot was to softly tap it to an open Bluejay for an easy putback.  In that situation, I prefer the smack out of bounds and take my chances with setting up my defense with a shortened shot clock.

Yeah, that's kinda of why I found myself not completely sure if my criticism of it was completely justified.  In most cases, it's probably better that he smacks it out of bounds.  In this case I don't think it was, but I'm sure it's quite difficult to think that completely through in the heat of the moment when it's such a quick, reactionary play.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 03:12:40 PM »
While I prefer Ed over John all day long, the block by John was turning point in the game. It kept us in the game and changed the momentum.

I'm really intrigued by this opinion, I significantly prefer Theo over Ed, I mean its not close. What about Ed's game do you like compared to Theo?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 03:18:02 PM »
I'm really intrigued by this opinion, I significantly prefer Theo over Ed, I mean its not close. What about Ed's game do you like compared to Theo?

Better finisher around the hoop (except against X), uses angles better, able to put the ball on the floor a little bit so you can give it to him a bit higher in the post.

I like Theo more as well but I can see why someone would prefer Ed's game.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 03:29:27 PM »
Better finisher around the hoop (except against X), uses angles better, able to put the ball on the floor a little bit so you can give it to him a bit higher in the post.

I like Theo more as well but I can see why someone would prefer Ed's game.

I mean maybe X really impacted Ed's numbers but here are their respective eFG%, 2pt%, and FT% (eFG% is going to be the same as 2pt% because these guys don't shoot 3s but habit :) )

Ed     -   56.3   66.7   56.3
Theo -   57.6   46.9   57.6

Yes if you remove the X game Ed's numbers go up significantly (~61.2) but we could play that game with Theo too. I mean when I watch Ed from anywhere but directly under the basket he is like line driving the shot at the hoop, it is the ugliest thing I've ever seen and I watched Mbao play for like 2 minutes once.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 03:34:41 PM »
I mean maybe X really impacted Ed's numbers but here are their respective eFG%, 2pt%, and FT% (eFG% is going to be the same as 2pt% because these guys don't shoot 3s but habit :) )

Ed     -   56.3   66.7   56.3
Theo -   57.6   46.9   57.6

Yes if you remove the X game Ed's numbers go up significantly (~61.2) but we could play that game with Theo too. I mean when I watch Ed from anywhere but directly under the basket he is like line driving the shot at the hoop, it is the ugliest thing I've ever seen and I watched Mbao play for like 2 minutes once.

Ed's 12 foot shots are some of the worst shot attempts I've ever seen. But considering his percentage on those is probably like 10% (1/10?) that means his around the rim percentage is a bit higher. Theo doesn't really shoot from outside 4 feet.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »
Ed's 12 foot shots are some of the worst shot attempts I've ever seen. But considering his percentage on those is probably like 10% (1/10?) that means his around the rim percentage is a bit higher. Theo doesn't really shoot from outside 4 feet.

I like them both on the floor at the same time, along with Joey and Sam.
Not so much for the basketball. I just like calling that lineup Bangers and SPASH.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 04:09:02 PM »

Defensive rebound rate and ft shooting for Ed.  Block rate for Theo.  But I think of them as a tag team.  Some games one is better than the other.  One night it's Theo, next night it's Ed.  Some nights both are solid, once in awhile both struggle.  Glad to have both at MU.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 08:49:00 PM »
I like them both on the floor at the same time, along with Joey and Sam.
Not so much for the basketball. I just like calling that lineup Bangers and SPASH.

feedback