[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Sam's 3pt shot!  (Read 18630 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Sam's 3pt shot!
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2019, 05:27:26 PM »
As ATL MU Warrior notes, that's not what happened.
Also, you're describing this as if they were each individual acts, rather than a fluid motion in which he jumped and shot at the same time.
The NBA (and numerous leagues that have followed through with the same rule) has determined that a player can get off a shot in .3 seconds. So, yeah,  .8  doesn't seem impossible.

Everyone agrees that you can catch and shoot in .3 seconds.  So, the question is whether you can do the rest of what Sam did (fall and jump) in .5 seconds.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2019, 05:30:28 PM »
what happened on the final play is exactly what happens on all such plays. Perh So, yeah,  .8  doesn't seem impossible.

If true, I would agree - absolutely possible to catch and shoot in .8 - but not if you have to jump to catch the ball and land before you go back up to shoot.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »
That’s not what he did. The clock doesn’t start till he touches it so all he had to do was make the catch, jump and release.

When I watch the replay he is in the air when he first touches it. Had to land, jump and release in .8.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2019, 05:42:57 PM »
This thread has turned into the Warren Commision.

Sam Hauser was just a patsy!!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »
From what I could see, I thought it was going to be waved off. I think the refs did not want to decide the game. There would be more pressure on them to make a decision, if the shot was a game winning shot. I felt that the fact that it was a game tying shot allowed the refs to take the easy way out and vote for overtime.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2019, 06:14:11 PM »
Speaking of no good, how about the Blue Jay cheerleaders?

Glad ewe said it Rican. Creighton is an equal opportunity school, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2019, 07:26:06 PM »
This thread has turned into the Warren Commision.

Sam Hauser was just a patsy!!

It was Sacar from the grassy knoll.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2019, 09:36:25 PM »
Raving? LOL. One of your favorite tactics.

CT and I aren't raving, merely stating what we believe to be a physical impossibility. Do you believe it's possible to jump to catch a ball, land. jump again and release a shot in .8?

The jump to catch the ball is a non-factor.  Clock doesn't start until you touch it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »
Just to add to this pointless conversation. Michael Jordan was at .91 from the foul line. Assume Sam is Jordan and was at the peak of his jump. You'd be at .46 for the coming down part of the jump (after he catches it) with a healthy .34 available for the shot. If you think Sam is more of a Jordan Farmar type of athlete, you have .38 available for the shot. Count it.
https://youtu.be/vZqVq5LrdQQ

Also the TV overlay clock onscreen is always behind the real clock by about .1-.2. Can't use that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2019, 10:03:03 PM »
The jump to catch the ball is a non-factor.  Clock doesn't start until you touch it.

??? He caught/touched the ball at the top of his jump.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2019, 10:13:26 PM »
Yes.  You are making it sound like jumping up to catch the ball should be included in the .8 seconds.  It isn't.  The time elapsed included landing and going back up.  He still might not have been able to do that, but jumping up is a non-factor is elapsed time.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2019, 11:49:21 PM »

Yup, but a human being has to see it, confirm it, press a button, have that signal go to the clock and start.  Let me ask you this, as you watch the replay, do you feel the clock started LATER than what is normal and appropriate for basketball?  We can all agree that the nanosecond the ball touches Hauser the clock doesn't start, but it doesn't ever for any basketball play because this isn't a situation where there is a touchpad in the pool for Michael Phelps to touch in the 100 Meter butterfly. 

I don't see where the clock started any later than it would under normal circumstances, and that should be the measuring stick because that is what is used as the standard in a basketball game.  Until we get to a point where sensors are in bodies and the ball, that's the process.

When his left foot hits the ground, the clock is at .7 or .6 already, tough to tell.  Ref did his job at that point, the clock is the clock once it starts.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2019, 12:26:35 AM »
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2019, 08:11:20 AM »
Yes.  You are making it sound like jumping up to catch the ball should be included in the .8 seconds.  It isn't.  The time elapsed included landing and going back up.  He still might not have been able to do that, but jumping up is a non-factor is elapsed time.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. My point was that he didn't just "catch and shoot" which certainly be accomplished in .8. The fact that he touched the ball at the top of his jump (and therefore had to return to the ground before starting his shooting motion) is what makes .8 not realistic.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2019, 08:15:39 AM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding. My point was that he didn't just "catch and shoot" which certainly be accomplished in .8. The fact that he touched the ball at the top of his jump (and therefore had to return to the ground before starting his shooting motion) is what makes .8 not realistic.

Maybe you break out a stopwatch and time Sam's shot for yourself.  Let us know the results.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2019, 08:17:09 AM »

But, it's widely accepted that a human can catch and shoot in .3.  So, you're arguing that a human cannot return to the ground and start a shooting motion in .5.  I'm not convinced.

Incidentally, I'm also not convinced Sam got the shot off in time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »
That’s not what he did. The clock doesn’t start till he touches it so all he had to do was make the catch, jump and release.

He was in the air when he caught it, so he had to land first.  It is a dumb debate, in that it is irrelevant.  Don't why I keep responding.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2019, 08:29:40 AM »

Lenny

Reminds me of how Al would argue with the refs to put 0.X back on the clock because a half a second could make all the difference. At the time I thought Al was being Al but now I realize he was genius. Attention to detail yields results.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »
Nobody is doing any tactics. Some just find it odd that you're trying so hard to argue MU didn't deserve to win, even though what happened on the final play is exactly what happens on all such plays. Perhaps you should petition the NCAA to install sensors on players so timing could be more precise.

Who said MU didn't deserve to win? 

I said clearly that without the extra time required for the ref/clock operator to start the clock (probably about 0.2 seconds, which is perfectly normal and standard) Sam wouldn't have gotten the shot off in time, because he took longer than 0.8 seconds in real time from first touch to release.  I said it was normal, not an error.  Not sure what you and Cheeks are even arguing about. 

Based on the information available at the time to the refs, they did nothing wrong and since they called it good on the floor, based on the video evidence they had, the call should have stood.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »
I was at a Speedway this morning (Friday) getting gas in North Carolina.  They have the pumps with video screens.  They were showing Sam's miracle shot.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2019, 10:08:37 AM »
Maybe you break out a stopwatch and time Sam's shot for yourself.  Let us know the results.

I actually did this because I was bored and obviously it is far from scientific but most of my tests ran from .86 to .94. .8 on the clock also means the real time could be anywhere from .80 to .89 seconds.

Closer than I thought.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2019, 10:14:06 AM »

Based on the information available at the time to the refs, they did nothing wrong and since they called it good on the floor, based on the video evidence they had, the call should have stood.

Excellent point.

If they had called it no good from the floor, that would have stood as well. Simply too close to call.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2019, 11:46:42 AM »
I actually did this because I was bored and obviously it is far from scientific but most of my tests ran from .86 to .94. .8 on the clock also means the real time could be anywhere from .80 to .89 seconds.

Closer than I thought.

Since the adjusted the clock from .6 to .8, wouldn't that mean that .80 was on the clock?  Not .81 to possibly .89?  I do not know for sure but am curious.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
Sam's shot was discussed on Waddle and Silvy with Big Cat.  (Lamenting his CU -6). 

Was the first conversation I have heard about the game where Markus was never mentioned.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2019, 01:47:07 PM »
I thought the Jay cheerleaders had nice guns!!  ;)
I think there was a general consensus in that regard.  8-)
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback