[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Road Warriors  (Read 14521 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: Road Warriors
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2019, 12:36:06 PM »
finally just getting to the board after a night of celebrating the game and then being worthless this morning....
WOW what a game.

After rewatching the Sam 3 about 15 times, I noticed everyone started celebrating and going nuts... except WOJO. What a cool customer that guy is. I love how level headed he is in these situations. Yes I get he is the coach, but still very impressive.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »
finally just getting to the board after a night of celebrating the game and then being worthless this morning....
WOW what a game.

After rewatching the Sam 3 about 15 times, I noticed everyone started celebrating and going nuts... except WOJO. What a cool customer that guy is. I love how level headed he is in these situations. Yes I get he is the coach, but still very impressive.

https://media.giphy.com/media/FiJxP9ugRHlvO/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »
Feel free to read through the Creighton board if looking for some sinister entertainment

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »
I do not dislike Sacar one bit. Hes just not as very good offensively on a team led by stellar offensive talent and plays a position that usually affords a team a really good offensive player.  95% of the time we pkay at a deficit from that position this year.

With these edits, I could agree with your second sentence. I don't agree with your conclusion.

Offense is only half the game of basketball. Sacar may be a below-average offensive player, but he's a good fit for this Marquette team because we have others who are well above-average on that end -- including 2 of the top 10 scorers in the Big East (Markus and Sam) plus a contender for freshman of the year (Joey). More importantly, he's an above-average defensive player. Quite possibly the best defensive player on the team.

Is Sacar going to make the All Big East team this season? No. But that doesn't automatically mean we're playing at a deficit with him in the lineup. Only one player can shoot the ball at a time. Most of the time, that player should be Markus, Sam or Joey. Sacar is one of our main rotation players because he helps the team win in more ways than just scoring. Statistics such as plus/minus suggest Sacar contributes more than the average player.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:20 PM »
Feel free to read through the Creighton board if looking for some sinister entertainment

Some of my favorite posts from bluejayunderground.com:

"If they literally just handed the ball to Marquette under their basket, the Jays would have won. Now it is OT."

"Good lord foul him on the catch. Hell, foul someone before they get a chance to inbound it. Why let him come down with it and shoot. We do such stupid stuff sometimes."

"Make someone else shoot please...trap him, double him, something..."

"Marquette scored on every possession in OT, other than the possession where they said the ball went off of Howard before going out of bounds (it was clearly off Zegarowski)."

"That was a gut punch."

"Marquette just owns the Jays, but to give up a game in that way is just brutal."

"I'm damn tired of losing to Marquette."

"Don't forget we let another player have a career game. How many times have this happened in the last 5 years?"

"Simply pathetic."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2019, 01:47:21 PM »
Some of my favorite posts from bluejayunderground.com:

"If they literally just handed the ball to Marquette under their basket, the Jays would have won. Now it is OT."

"Good lord foul him on the catch. Hell, foul someone before they get a chance to inbound it. Why let him come down with it and shoot. We do such stupid stuff sometimes."

"Make someone else shoot please...trap him, double him, something..."

"Marquette scored on every possession in OT, other than the possession where they said the ball went off of Howard before going out of bounds (it was clearly off Zegarowski)."

"That was a gut punch."

"Marquette just owns the Jays, but to give up a game in that way is just brutal."

"I'm damn tired of losing to Marquette."

"Don't forget we let another player have a career game. How many times have this happened in the last 5 years?"

"Simply pathetic."

This is pretty mild stuff compared to some of the things I have seen on Scoop.
Have some patience, FFS.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
This is pretty mild stuff compared to some of the things I have seen on Scoop.

I didn't include any of the "fire Mac" posts (of which there are quite a few).

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2019, 06:57:02 AM »
Was watching UCLA Oregon last night and it had a very interesting ending.   Oregon was up 4 with about 7 seconds left when UCLA made a three to cut it to one.

UCLA fouled with 3.3 seconds left and Oregon made both to go up by three. 

Oregon then decided to foul so they couldn't shoot a three and did with 2.7 seconds left.  What a mistake.

UCLA made the first,  missed the second got  the rebound , put it in to tie and got fouled as time expired.  While he missed the FT to win UCLA ended up winning in OT.  Sometimes what seems like a smart coaching decision bites back. 

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2019, 09:13:54 AM »
With these edits, I could agree with your second sentence. I don't agree with your conclusion.

Offense is only half the game of basketball. Sacar may be a below-average offensive player, but he's a good fit for this Marquette team because we have others who are well above-average on that end -- including 2 of the top 10 scorers in the Big East (Markus and Sam) plus a contender for freshman of the year (Joey). More importantly, he's an above-average defensive player. Quite possibly the best defensive player on the team.

Is Sacar going to make the All Big East team this season? No. But that doesn't automatically mean we're playing at a deficit with him in the lineup. Only one player can shoot the ball at a time. Most of the time, that player should be Markus, Sam or Joey. Sacar is one of our main rotation players because he helps the team win in more ways than just scoring. Statistics such as plus/minus suggest Sacar contributes more than the average player.

One of the things that Sacar does pretty well, that no one on our team does is make a cut to the basket when we have the ball in the low post block area.  I can remember 4 layups he has when he cuts into the lane as his defender is looking away.  I think 3 of the passes came from Sam and one from Joey.  He did it vs. X and got an And 1 as well.  Would love to see him  and the whole team do this a bit more.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »
Was watching UCLA Oregon last night and it had a very interesting ending.   Oregon was up 4 with about 7 seconds left when UCLA made a three to cut it to one.

UCLA fouled with 3.3 seconds left and Oregon made both to go up by three. 

Oregon then decided to foul so they couldn't shoot a three and did with 2.7 seconds left.  What a mistake.

UCLA made the first,  missed the second got  the rebound , put it in to tie and got fouled as time expired.  While he missed the FT to win UCLA ended up winning in OT.  Sometimes what seems like a smart coaching decision bites back.

That's why the foul/don't foul dilemma is a dilemma. 

The right answer may even depend on your personnel.  A few years back when we were a poor rebounding team and would give up missed foul shot offensive rebounds with some regularity, I would be more inclined to let the possession play out and not foul.  On an excellent rebounding team, I may be more inclined to foul.

I happened to watch the UCLA-Oregon regulation finish last night, and the foul shooter did a good job of purposely missing the second free throw and getting an unusual bounce off the miss, enabling the offensive rebound.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:47 AM »
As a coach, you pick one.   It it works, you are a genius.   If it doesn't you're an idiot.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2019, 10:18:22 AM »
I think the choice is pretty clear.

Let me ask this...If Marquette was down 3 with the ball, would you prefer the opponent foul or not foul?