[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Road Warriors  (Read 14523 times)

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
Re: Road Warriors
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 09:13:15 PM »
Wow what a game. After Chartouny missed an uncontested layup to make it a 3 point game at the end of regulation I asked myself why even bother, thank you Joseph for not giving up and putting that layup in with .8, huge rebound and play overall. Incredible effort by him on Hauser’s missed 3 to set it up.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:18:16 PM by Smokin' Jae »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2019, 09:16:13 PM »
Manna from heaven.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 09:17:16 PM »
My daughter was doing homework in our kitchen with my wife helping her, my son was playing Fortnite. They all ran into our family room to see if I was ok from screaming.

Similar to my house. How’s your son doing?
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
I had a feeling about this game. I am vacationing in Florida with my family and could not find a way to stream the game and I could not find it on cable so I bought 30 days of Hulu TV for $33. Seemed pretty expensive but after that win it was the best $33 I spent this year!

I don't feel we stole this game. I think we took this game a way from a very good team on their home court. The team is growing up and we have a ridiculously awesome guard in Markus Howard. They will write songs about him and etch petroglyphs of his amazing feats on basement walls!

Let's take some magic from this game and really bring the house down on Seton Hall Saturday. Time to paint faces and get real loud.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 09:22:30 PM »
Just saw boxscore.

Markus played 43 minutes and Sam played 42.  Out of 45. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2019, 09:30:01 PM »
I’m becoming a really big fan of Theo. He was huge tonight. Love his development.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2019, 09:34:47 PM »
I don't get CBS Sports Net on my streaming package so I was gonna watch the game on reddit. I even did a test run yesterday to make sure I could, and I watched a few minutes of whatever game it was (can't even remember). So I was sure it wouldn't be a problem.

But for whatever reason -- whether it was my computer or reddit or my wireless or my brain -- I couldn't get the game on. So I had to settle for checking the score constantly, and I was getting frustrated. I decided that if we were within 8 at halftime I'd drive to a bar to watch the second half. We were within 6 so off I went. Mrs. 82 has to work early tomorrow so she didn't join me.

Got to the bar a couple minutes into the second half and watched as our gallant lads fought back. Every time we'd get within a couple/few, Creighton would bank a 3 or make some other crazy shot. Markus goes off and I'm trying to stay chill because I'm the only one watching this game in a fairly crowded bar. But after one of Markus' 3s I went, "Yeah baby!" and pumped my fist. We pull within 1 and finally get a stop and have a chance for the lead ... and then Markus, who split the D to get open, passed up the open shot to try to get the ball to Sacar. "Whattaryadoin'!" I yelled. A couple at the bar laughed.

We're down 5 with a few seconds left and Creighton gives JCS the layup because of course they don't want to foul him. If he makes it, there's 2.5, maybe 3 seconds left and we still have a chance. But he misses it, gets his own board and scores, so now, as we all know, only 0.8. Even though I'm a huge optimist, I'm resigned to the loss.

Then Creighton doesn't touch the ball on a long inbound pass -- how glorious was that? -- and we know what happens next, and I go crazy. (BTW - it makes sense for one of the tall guys to be on the receiving end of Markus' pass. Much easier to enter it in to Sam or Joey than to a 5-11 guy.)

But the replay takes forever and every time I watch it, it looks like the ball is still on the tip of Sam's middle and index fingers when the red light comes on. The refs keep watching the replay, then the one guy puts on the headset like 3 times. I guess he was talking to Ground Control or Major Tom or something. I don't have volume on the TV, so I don't know what the announcers are saying. The score says 85-85 and the bartender comes over and says, "Wow, y'all tied it up." And I said, "Yeah, we hit a miracle shot, but I think it was a nanosecond late and they're gonna wave it off." But then ... it's good!

As good as the OT was, with Markus in the effen twilight zone, it was almost anticlimactic. How about JCS calmly sinking those 2 FTs, though?

After it was over, I apologized to the couple sitting next to me. The guy says, "That's cool, bro, we enjoyed how much the game was torturing you." I leave the bar, and on my way home my little brother calls me. He tells me he got pissed off with 6 seconds left in regulation and turned off the TV. I laughed my arse off! He looked at his phone a little while later to see how much we lost by, only to see it was in OT. He did watch the replay of Sam's shot and see most of the OT.

That was my crazy night. That's sports, baby. That's why we all love this shyte. You never know when you watch a sporting event what's gonna happen; sometimes, it's special like this.

Sports is the only true -- and by far the best -- reality TV.

We are ... Marquette!!!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2019, 09:35:09 PM »
2.  Markus made two huge mistakes towards the end of regulation.   Some fans complain about him playing hero ball.   And yet when he tried to give it up to Sacar it was the wrongg choice and when he drove to the rack was wrong.   And yet...... Markus did so many Markus things.   We just have to accept that as good he is, he isn't perfect.   (only 19, after all)

I'll have to rewatch, but why do you think it was wrong to give it to Sacar?  From what I recall, he was open on the wing, but either Sacar was in the wrong spot or it was a bad pass, but was open. 

I want to hear the press conference about the Markus play with 15 seconds left.  Some teams opt to go for 2 rather than 3 in that situation. Was that the plan, fine if it was.  Or did Markus not listen to coaching staff?  Would love to know what the design there was.

Finally, end of regulation it looks like McDermott was telling his guys to foul on purpose on the inbounds to Hauser. That would have been the right call.  He was giving them the X signal with his arms, which I interpreted as purposely foul him. 

I've argued for years that is the correct strategy.  If that's what he wanted and his team didn't execute, not good. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2019, 09:37:35 PM »
My daughter was doing homework in our kitchen with my wife helping her, my son was playing Fortnite. They all ran into our family room to see if I was ok from screaming.

NICE!!! 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 09:38:45 PM »
Three overtime games so far, three overtime wins -- and we still have half the season to go.

Creighton is a dangerous team, especially in Omaha. Give the MU coaches and players credit for hanging in there, no matter what. Even when the Bluejays seemed to be hitting every shot they took. Even when there seemed to be only the faintest hope at the end of regulation.

The first road win wasn't easy, but it was sure fun to watch.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2019, 09:42:59 PM »
How about JCS calmly sinking those 2 FTs, though?
Joey too. He about the calmest Freshman I can ever recall seeing.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2019, 09:47:20 PM »
I'll have to rewatch, but why do you think it was wrong to give it to Sacar?  From what I recall, he was open on the wing, but either Sacar was in the wrong spot or it was a bad pass, but was open. 

To me, the issue was that Sacar sat at the 3-pt line too long to then penetrate for the drive. Markus was already in the lane and so it made sense that he would assume that Sacar was still outside. Sacar was indeed wide open, but could’ve attacked earlier and Markus, further out, might have seen him cutting.

I want to hear the press conference about the Markus play with 15 seconds left.  Some teams opt to go for 2 rather than 3 in that situation. Was that the plan, fine if it was.  Or did Markus not listen to coaching staff?  Would love to know what the design there was.

Totally agree. Given how he was shooting, I was shocked he went into the lane. Would love to know if there was a plan.

Finally, end of regulation it looks like McDermott was telling his guys to foul on purpose on the inbounds to Hauser. That would have been the right call.  He was giving them the X signal with his arms, which I interpreted as purposely foul him. 

I've argued for years that is the correct strategy.  If that's what he wanted and his team didn't execute, not good.

Yup.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2019, 09:48:44 PM »
It was the right choice to give it up to saca.  sacars man had stepped to ft line to stop markus drive. Sacar was wide open on the baseline cut with no one within 15 feet of him.  Similar to the markus to Cain lob vs Xavier.  Markus just threw it behind him. Right choice, bad pass. We were down one with less than a minute left.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »

The first road win wasn't easy, but it was sure fun to watch.

I wouldn't have called it fun....well, maybe the last 5:00.8 minutes...
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2019, 09:52:25 PM »
I want to give TREMENDOUS credit to Wojo for 2 adjustments.

1) Mostly go away from the high P/R allowing Markus to initiate off the wing and break down the opponent 1 on 1.

2) The extending of the D to absolutely guard the 3 line forcing runoffs by Creighton.  They were less effective inside the arc.

In neither case was it perfect.  But it allowed us to recover from an early double digit deficit and allowed us to get and remain within striking distance. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
To me, the issue was that Sacar sat at the 3-pt line too long to then penetrate for the drive. Markus was already in the lane and so it made sense that he would assume that Sacar was still outside. Sacar was indeed wide open, but could’ve attacked earlier and Markus, further out, might have seen him cutting.

The funny thing is that Markus had split the D and HE was open. I'm thinking, "Since when do you pass up an open shot?!?!?!?"

Joey too. He about the calmest Freshman I can ever recall seeing.

True dat. But I actually expected Joey to make his. Gotta admit I wasn't as confident about JCS. I wanted him to pass to Sam, who was open, because I trust Sam more. But JCS made 'em. Nice to get that kind of leadership from a senior.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2019, 09:53:26 PM »
I really enjoyed the game. It was everything I expected it to be and then some. Both teams did what they do best which is shoot threes.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2019, 09:54:07 PM »
I want to give TREMENDOUS credit to Wojo for 2 adjustments.

1) Mostly go away from the high P/R allowing Markus to initiate off the wing and break down the opponent 1 on 1.

2) The extending of the D to absolutely guard the 3 line forcing runoffs by Creighton.  They were less effective inside the arc.

In neither case was it perfect.  But it allowed us to recover from an early double digit deficit and allowed us to get and remain within striking distance.

Great points, glow.

I kept pleading with our guys to stop leaving their shooters open from 3. "Anything but an open 3!" Agree that was a major factor in our win.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »
6.  We really miss Elliott.  Sacar is simple not very good at all.  His early 3s are brutal.  His free throws are terrible and his defense is average at best.  Worst 2 in BE by far. 
End of regulation n overtime hinged on Markus and the defense played by Chartouney.  Obvioosly other things too but the defense Chartouney pkayed after Sacar fouled out was simply fantastic
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2019, 09:54:59 PM »
What an amazing game! A joy to watch.
Ring out Ahoya!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2019, 09:55:30 PM »
The funny thing is that Markus had split the D and HE was open. I'm thinking, "Since when do you pass up an open shot?!?!?!?"

True dat. But I actually expected Joey to make his. Gotta admit I wasn't as confident about JCS. I wanted him to pass to Sam, who was open, because I trust Sam more. But JCS made 'em. Nice to get that kind of leadership from a senior.
Joe played really well after he came in when Sacar fouled out.  Hope he can build on that.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2019, 09:56:48 PM »
Joe played really well after he came in when Sacar fouled out.  Hope he can build on that.

Agreed. He actually has had quite a few decent to good games. I thought he was one of our best (if not the best) players against St. John's.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »

As soon as he got fouled, he told each guy on the court "I'll make 'em", while walking to the line. He did.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »
Lead story on Sportcenter tonight.
Have some patience, FFS.