[Today at 09:05:48 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Running up the score encouraged by NCAA Net Rankings  (Read 1368 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Running up the score encouraged by NCAA Net Rankings
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
Interesting article, not the 10 point cap but the efficiency aspect that may encourage teams to run up the score

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2019/01/sec-coaches-discuss-ncaas-new-net-ranking-system-and-why-it-might-encourage-running-up-the-score.html
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Running up the score encouraged by NCAA Net Rankings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 06:53:49 AM »
We've discussed this a bit on here and how the efficiency margins effectively dismiss the 10-point cap, but this is a pretty solid explainer of why Wisconsin is always so favored by these metrics. They absolutely clobber their buy games and their slow pace insures losing margins are never very big.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
Another article on this, LSU coach says running up the score encouraged by new formula and easier for schools in lesser conferences to take advantage of the rankings.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2019/01/lsus-will-wade-on-the-net-rankings-their-formula-is-wrong.html
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:17:04 PM »
Another article on this, LSU coach says running up the score encouraged by new formula and easier for schools in lesser conferences to take advantage of the rankings.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2019/01/lsus-will-wade-on-the-net-rankings-their-formula-is-wrong.html

unnatural carnal knowledge that article. First of all, why is MU listed as a "non-Power 5" team (not a thing in CBB) but St John's and Villanova are not? Second, one of the teams they seem to be complaining about is the Houston team that beat LSU. Third, 7 of the 10 schools they mention are either ranked or receiving votes in both the AP & Coaches polls, so maybe tell them these teams don't belong.

And fourth...if you want to see someone gaming the system, LOOK AT LSU! Only 1 road game (loss at Houston). Neutral site games & quality mid majors at home, but few Q1 games, instead stacking Q2s that look like they were always going to be Q2. It's smart, don't get me wrong, but the 12th toughest schedule in the country and only 2 Q1 non-con games? Small schools aren't taking advantage of the system, LSU is. What a load of BS.

Except the part about the efficiency differential. That's a valid point.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.