'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Opponents not looking great of late  (Read 89118 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Opponents not looking great of late
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »
I don't know, as I don't follow all the little brat fights so closely, but weren't they, in fact the number 1 team in the country a few weeks ago?

Yes, in the polls

However, in NCAA NET rankings they are 14th BEFORE today's loss.  7th in Sagarin and 11th in Ken Pom (with today's loss).
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2019, 09:28:57 PM »
One person who did look great tonight was Sandy Cohen III. He hit an awesome double clutch, off glass, mid-range jumper at the buzzer to beat Cleveland State 90-89. Cohen went for 30 pts/7 reb/6 ast on the night. Glad to see him doing well as one of the leaders of the current top team in the Horizon.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
One person who did look great tonight was Sandy Cohen III. He hit an awesome double clutch, off glass, mid-range jumper at the buzzer to beat Cleveland State 90-89. Cohen went for 30 pts/7 reb/6 ast on the night. Glad to see him doing well as one of the leaders of the current top team in the Horizon.
Good for Sandy.  I really like him, but it was the right decision to move on and find his level.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2019, 09:41:11 PM »
Yes, in the polls

However, in NCAA NET rankings they are 14th BEFORE today's loss.  7th in Sagarin and 11th in Ken Pom (with today's loss).

That is all I was looking for. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2019, 10:36:28 AM »
That is all I was looking for.

The rest was a bonus at no cost to you. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
Cheeks

Opponents are looking pretty much as expected. The UW and KState wins will have a lot less juice in March than many on here thought. MU needs to take care of biz in down BE or they might be in trouble come March.
As I know you will challenge me again, but UW is not a very good team this season. Glad we beat them, but far from marquee W.

Wisconsin bounces back tonight to crush Penn State on the road.  Faired better than Buzz did at PSU.   :D

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2019, 10:08:24 PM »
Kstate went from 21 down to win today against WVU. They needed that. Hopefully it gets them back on track.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2019, 10:44:45 PM »
F%cky just lost at home to Purdue.

Was I supposed to root for F%cky? If so, sorry, I couldn't do it.

Trice sent it into OT by hitting two 3-pointers in the last minute, though the first was a lucky bank shot ... not that any MU fan is allowed to call any team's important shots "lucky" for the rest of this season!

Side note: Carson Edwards had a great game, no surprise there. But with game tied and the ball in his hands as the clock ticked down in regulation, he pulled up from 30 feet and shot an airball that gave F%cky a chance to win it with 3.8 seconds to go.

I still say the smart play there is to take a shot with so little time left that the worst-case scenario is OT. Edwards' dopey shot, with too much time remaining, coulda cost Purdue the game. Lucky for them, F%cky failed.

With this loss, I'm guessing that Ken Pom will move F%cky up to No. 5 in the nation, and Lunardi will have them as a 2 seed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 10:47:48 PM »
#22 Indiana lost to Maryland too.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:24 PM »
Wisconsin is absolutely horrible. Gard cannot coach worth a lick. How did they beat NC state and Oklahoma. Once Happ is gone next year that team wont even be .500

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »

Trice sent it into OT by hitting two 3-pointers in the last minute, though the first was a lucky bank shot ... not that any MU fan is allowed to call any team's important shots "lucky" for the rest of this season!

Side note: Carson Edwards had a great game, no surprise there. But with game tied and the ball in his hands as the clock ticked down in regulation, he pulled up from 30 feet and shot an airball that gave F%cky a chance to win it with 3.8 seconds to go.

I still say the smart play there is to take a shot with so little time left that the worst-case scenario is OT. Edwards' dopey shot, with too much time remaining, coulda cost Purdue the game. Lucky for them, F%cky failed.

With this loss, I'm guessing that Ken Pom will move F%cky up to No. 5 in the nation, and Lunardi will have them as a 2 seed.
And with less than 3 minutes remaining, Floppy McDickpuncher threw himself at the floor and drew a ridiculous charge.  Thankfully that garbage ended up not meaning anything with the loss.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2019, 10:53:02 PM »
Yikes...maybe only one of the three #12s MU played in non con will make the tourney? I won’t lose any sleep over it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2019, 10:55:09 PM »
Wisconsin is absolutely horrible. Gard cannot coach worth a lick. How did they beat NC state and Oklahoma. Once Happ is gone next year that team wont even be .500
They have an All American, recruited by Bo, and a bunch of mediocre role players, almost all recruited by Gard, who wouldn't be getting more than 10-12mpg on a good team. 

Rodent Administration, please extend Gard's contract.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2019, 10:57:16 PM »

They had their chance last year to fire Gard.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »
Wisconsin is absolutely horrible.

Exaggerate much?

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »
Bo left Wisconsin the same way that Buzz left us. The only difference is that Wisconsin has not restarted their rebuild yet that took Marqutte until this year to get over. Once Happ is gone it will truly be Gard's team.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2019, 11:07:42 PM »
Exaggerate much?

I am frustrated that our opponents are not looking like quadrant 1 wins anymore. I would love to see this team get a 3 seed and make it to the s16. Wisconsin was a huge win not more than 2 weeks ago. Now it looks like an average win.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2019, 11:10:53 PM »
I am frustrated that our opponents are not looking like quadrant 1 wins anymore. I would love to see this team get a 3 seed and make it to the s16. Wisconsin was a huge win not more than 2 weeks ago. Now it looks like an average win.

OK, I can mostly agree with that.

You were frustrated so you exaggerated. It happens.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2019, 11:30:58 PM »

Beautiful.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:50 PM »

#15. Love pomeroy, but that’s insane.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2019, 11:54:56 PM »
#15. Love pomeroy, but that’s insane.

No, it's math. Wisconsin generally runs up the score in low possession games which overinflates their rankings. This year, it's compounded by double digit wins against high majors in low possession games (11 point win at Xavier in 65, 16 v Stanford in 68, 20 v Oklahoma in 62, 19 at Penn State in 63). When compared to teams playing faster, the margins are effectively inflated and they are adjusted to give greater value being away from home.

It's also why the system rates us lower. 20+ point losses, smaller victory margins (especially away from home), and letting cupcakes stay close.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:52 PM »

Our three losses are pretty much guaranteed to be Q1. The closest one to falling out is Kansas who would need to fall 39 spots.

The wins are definitely closer to being in jeopardy. Creighton has a 23 spot buffer, Louisville can fall 18 spots, Buffalo can only fall 17 spots, and Wisconsin only has 14 spots and that was before this loss. K-State could theoretically regain Q1 status though they are trending down. They are 23 spots out at the moment.

Good news is, we will have some more opportunities for Q1 wins. @Seton Hall, @Butler, St. John's, Villanova, and @Villanova are all currently Q1 wins. Seton Hall, @Providence, @Xavier, Butler, and Creighton could all become Q1 wins as well.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2019, 06:33:24 AM »
No, it's math. Wisconsin generally runs up the score in low possession games which overinflates their rankings. This year, it's compounded by double digit wins against high majors in low possession games (11 point win at Xavier in 65, 16 v Stanford in 68, 20 v Oklahoma in 62, 19 at Penn State in 63). When compared to teams playing faster, the margins are effectively inflated and they are adjusted to give greater value being away from home.

It's also why the system rates us lower. 20+ point losses, smaller victory margins (especially away from home), and letting cupcakes stay close.

I subscribe to his website and listen to the pod. As a predictive tool, UW as the 15th best team is still insane. Their WAB is down to 35, probably propped up by the win against OU. They’ve lost 3 out of the last 4 against WKU, Minn and Purdue (who I think is probably as good as I4). I don’t think there are just 15 teams that are better then them going forward.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2019, 07:50:41 AM »
I subscribe to his website and listen to the pod. As a predictive tool, UW as the 15th best team is still insane. Their WAB is down to 35, probably propped up by the win against OU. They’ve lost 3 out of the last 4 against WKU, Minn and Purdue (who I think is probably as good as I4). I don’t think there are just 15 teams that are better then them going forward.

I'm not disagreeing, but this is what UW's system does to the math that drives the metric. Large margins of victory in slow paced games coupled with close margins of defeat will produce overinflated rankings. This has been a known quantity for at least 7 years now.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »
I'll be rooting for Wisconsin to lose the rest of their games.