[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pat Fitzgerald And The Packers  (Read 6621 times)

augoman

• All American
Re: Pat Fitzgerald And The Packers
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »
I had season Northwestern football tickets for years and well remember the 3 big whatever titles in 10 years and Randy Walker's sudden death.  Fitz was a legend then with his back to back defensive player of the year awards and his devotion to the school/program.  That being said Northwestern has a history of beating uw at Madison and various other self aggrandizing programs while being the smallest and only private school in a major football conference.  The know it all posters that pretend to know what the school or the coach is 'happy' with are obviously wrong.  Fitz just bought a new home there, NU just built a new practice facility on the lake for 260 million, he is working miracles with 2nd string running backs and has a great quarterback waiting in the wings. His boys and family love the school and are often very involved.  He recently signed a 10 year extension.  I would be shocked and disappointed if he were to leave, but I have no idea what his thoughts are.  He did however say in his post game interview that "I'm not going anywhere". 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
That being said Northwestern has a history of beating uw at Madison and various other self aggrandizing programs while being the smallest and only private school in a major football conference. 

Ever heard of Vanderbilt? Or the SEC?

Or Stanford and the Pac 10?

Or Duke, Miami and Wake Forest in the ACC?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 10:42:00 AM »
I had season Northwestern football tickets for years and well remember the 3 big whatever titles in 10 years and Randy Walker's sudden death.  Fitz was a legend then with his back to back defensive player of the year awards and his devotion to the school/program.  That being said Northwestern has a history of beating uw at Madison and various other self aggrandizing programs while being the smallest and only private school in a major football conference.  The know it all posters that pretend to know what the school or the coach is 'happy' with are obviously wrong.  Fitz just bought a new home there, NU just built a new practice facility on the lake for 260 million, he is working miracles with 2nd string running backs and has a great quarterback waiting in the wings. His boys and family love the school and are often very involved.  He recently signed a 10 year extension.  I would be shocked and disappointed if he were to leave, but I have no idea what his thoughts are.  He did however say in his post game interview that "I'm not going anywhere".

If by "history" you mean "twice in the last twenty years," then yes.

But your post is spot on.  It makes perfect sense why he would stay.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 06:52:58 PM »
Ever heard of Vanderbilt? Or the SEC?

Or Stanford and the Pac 10?

Or Duke, Miami and Wake Forest in the ACC?

Yes and USC and ND.

I guessing but I think he meant the smallest (by enrollment) and only private school in the Big 10.

But, it does have one of the largest endowments, if not the largest endowment, in the Big 10
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 09:19:31 PM »
Yes and USC and ND.

I guessing but I think he meant the smallest (by enrollment) and only private school in the Big 10.

But, it does have one of the largest endowments, if not the largest endowment, in the Big 10

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 05:39:30 PM »
 Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Despite multiple NFL inquiries, Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald is not going to be a candidate for any NFL jobs, agent Bryan Harlan tells me. The #Packers had hoped to interview him, among others.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 07:27:22 PM »
  So, endowments don’t matter, ey? (Beat ya to it 4ever) 💪
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »
Reports are he has had interest from NFL steams since as early as 2011. Keeps turning everything down.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 09:17:18 PM »
  So, endowments don’t matter, ey? (Beat ya to it 4ever) 💪

Better to be well endowed than not.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 07:03:19 AM »
Yes and USC and ND.

University of Michigan has by 1.5 bil or so...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 07:43:35 AM »
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Despite multiple NFL inquiries, Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald is not going to be a candidate for any NFL jobs, agent Bryan Harlan tells me. The #Packers had hoped to interview him, among others.

Told ya so

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 07:46:16 AM »
It appears that Pat does not want to mess with happy. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 09:21:45 AM »
Should be a good recruiting bump for Fitzgerald, and if that begets more success, the NFL will keep calling.

Lincoln Riley had a good point in some interview that top coaches can now make a lot of money but with more job security. If only everyone responsible for college football popularity was so well compensated...

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 06:45:52 PM »
Should be a good recruiting bump for Fitzgerald, and if that begets more success, the NFL will keep calling.

Lincoln Riley had a good point in some interview that top coaches can now make a lot of money but with more job security. If only everyone responsible for college football popularity was so well compensated...

Just couldn't help yourself huh

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »
Belichick's coaching tree is horrible though.  The only one with a winning NFL record is Bill O'Brien.

Maybe McDaniel's will be better this time around, but hiring Belicick assistants because teams believed they "could use a little Belichick" has been a bad route for most programs.

Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz both from Belichick coaching tree.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 04:08:45 AM »

Uh...no.

Go Blue!!
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 09:46:12 AM »
Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz both from Belichick coaching tree.

Assistants that worked with him before he found success have been successful.  That Browns staff was sneaky stacked (Saban, Ferentz, Pat Hill, Al Groh).  But once he got to NE, truly figured out his system and put it in place, that seemed to stop.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
Assistants that worked with him before he found success have been successful.  That Browns staff was sneaky stacked (Saban, Ferentz, Pat Hill, Al Groh).  But once he got to NE, truly figured out his system and put it in place, that seemed to stop.

The theory on this - and it's a good one - that that Belichick is such a micromanager that his assistants don't really learn the inner-workings of his methods, they just see how he acts outwardly and try to mimic it ... usually with disastrous results.
Like, Matt Patricia has the surly Belichick routine down pat, but seems to understand nothing of the methods that have brought about the Patriots' success.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 08:27:05 PM »
Anybody who likes football at all and hasn't seen "Do Your Job," the NFL Network production from the Patriots win after the Seahawks Super Bowl, needs to find time to do so.  It's awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback