[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pat Fitzgerald And The Packers  (Read 6617 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Pat Fitzgerald And The Packers
« on: December 31, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »
What happens with this?

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Pat-Fitzgerald-Packers-head-coaching-rumors--127089148/

Adam Schefter of ESPN reported the Packers are expected to request an interview with Fitzgerald as soon as the team returns from the Holiday Bowl. The only problem is Fitzgerald has turned down NFL interviews before and by the looks of things, he has no intentions of leaving Northwestern.

"It is unclear whether Fitzgerald would interview, according to the source, but he certainly would be comfortable with the man leading the interview for the Packers," Schefter wrote. "Packers CEO and president Mark Murphy was Northwestern's athletic director when Fitzgerald was hired as the head coach at his alma mater in 2006."
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Pat Fitzgerald And The Packers
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:47:47 PM »
Murphy and Fitz are close friends and Murphy hired him before. There was never any doubt from the day Mac was fired that GB would talk to him.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:58:21 PM »
Fitz in his post game presser

“I’m not going anywhere”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
Definitely no other posts about this at all

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »
Fitz in his post game presser

“I’m not going anywhere”

Haven't heard that before

"It's GB - It's GB"
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 11:36:36 PM »
Haven't heard that before

"It's GB - It's GB"

Little different. Besides Saban, Fitz may have the best job security in all of college football, Northwestern has the potential to really get off their wallet, plus he's a Northwestern grad.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:17:57 AM »
Little different. Besides Saban, Fitz may have the best job security in all of college football, Northwestern has the potential to really get off their wallet, plus he's a Northwestern grad.

Betcha Green Bay has a bigger wallet? 

What head coach wouldn’t have a dribble down his leg to stand where some of the greatest coaches ever stood.  Many thought forest gregg and Bart Starr had job security too, until they didn’t win.  I understand Chicago, you don’t want to see fitz go anywhere, but for a chance to coach in a virtual hall of fame place would be like bubba mcCountry singer to turn down a concert at the grand ole opry or chef mcGreasy fingers to turn down an offer to cook at eleven Madison park, New York

What did you expect fitz to say?  Yeah, thanks for everything, as he does a lambeau leap over the interview table as dundun dada dundun go pack go blares over a boom box speaker?  Only bear and Viking fans don’t get goose pimples over that one right there.  To say you were the coach of Aaron Rodgers and stood in the same place as curly and Vince once stood??  Hey, “what the hell is going on out there” 🤷🏼‍♂️🏈

don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 08:05:54 AM »

I would agree about this.  Northwestern is perfectly happy with his performance so far.  They don't expect B10 titles.  Just be competitive with a couple new years day bowls.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 08:07:25 AM »

What did you expect fitz to say? 

"Now's not the time to talk about that."  Making definitive statements leads to no wriggle room.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 08:40:43 AM »
Or maybe he is happy where he is.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 08:45:03 AM »
Exactly. There are many reasons I could see why he would want to stay at Northwestern.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 08:53:12 AM »
I would think Fitz is the wrong guy at the wrong time for the Packers and it would be a mistake form Murphy to hire him.

The Packers are older elite QB surrounded by bad players.  If your objective is to rebuild, start over, pile on the draft picks, then Fitz might make sense.  But that also means trading Rodgers this offseason for a couple of #1s.  That is what starting over means.

If the objective is to rebuild around Rodgers, is Fitz the right guy to get the most out of Rodgers for the remainder of his career?  I would say no.  Josh McDaniels might be a better fit.

So the question is what are the Packers trying to do and how does Fitz fit into that plan?

------

Finally, here is my conspiracy theory, Murphy is trying to do his friend Fitz a favor.  Say the Packers are interested to raise Fitz's stock and help him on the recruiting trail.  He's not serious about actually hiring him, just trying to get more 4-star and 5-star recruits to consider his friend.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 08:57:09 AM by Tower Tops »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »
Ain’t gonna happen.

No way. No how.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 10:34:42 AM »
Daniels gonna bee da choice, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
Daniels gonna bee da choice, hey?

Mike Daniels???

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 10:47:15 AM »
Wee alreddy had a Big Mc, sew eye'm shortin' it ta just Daniels. Dis isn't sew hard to understand, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 11:19:15 AM »
Saw a pretty good tweet last night something along the lines of.

I would not want anybody but Pat Fitzgerald to coach Northwestern.

I would want anybody except Pat Fitzgerald to coach my NFL team.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »
Wee alreddy had a Big Mc, sew eye'm shortin' it ta just Daniels. Dis isn't sew hard to understand, hey?

Someone is having fun with his Wiki profile:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_McDaniels
Ludum habemus.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »

Chris Mack was a Xavier grad and had all the job security in the world.

I doubt Fitz is the guy for Packers, but people leave their alma mater for other opportunities despite feeling comfortable where they are.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 03:12:45 PM »
Believe it or not, some coaches really like where they are.

For example, do folks think Mark Few never had higher-profile, better-paying opportunities than Gonzaga?

Maybe Fitzgerald is that kind of person: It's his alma mater, he is paid well, and most of the pressure on him is the pressure he puts on himself. Nobody -- not school higher-ups, not the AD, not alums -- expects him to compete annually for Big 14 titles, Rose Bowl bids, etc. Get to a bowl game most years, run a clean program, make a big-bowl run every 5-7 years, be an all-around good guy who reflects positively on all things Northwestern ... and you're beloved and paid well.

Some would argue those are the very best jobs in the entire coaching universe.

I don't know Fitzgerald, so I don't know if that describes him or not. I do know that Gary Barnett said he would never leave Northwestern. But about 24 hours after telling his players he wasn't going anywhere because "I bleed purple," he left for big money and what he thought was a better job at Colorado. It wasn't.

As for whether Fitzgerald would be a good NFL coach, a bad NFL coach or a middle-of-the-road NFL coach ... who knows? None of us here, that's for sure.

Except Smuggles, of course.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
I would think Fitz is the wrong guy at the wrong time for the Packers and it would be a mistake form Murphy to hire him.

The Packers are older elite QB surrounded by bad players.  If your objective is to rebuild, start over, pile on the draft picks, then Fitz might make sense.  But that also means trading Rodgers this offseason for a couple of #1s.  That is what starting over means.

If the objective is to rebuild around Rodgers, is Fitz the right guy to get the most out of Rodgers for the remainder of his career?  I would say no.  Josh McDaniels might be a better fit.

So the question is what are the Packers trying to do and how does Fitz fit into that plan?

------

Finally, here is my conspiracy theory, Murphy is trying to do his friend Fitz a favor.  Say the Packers are interested to raise Fitz's stock and help him on the recruiting trail.  He's not serious about actually hiring him, just trying to get more 4-star and 5-star recruits to consider his friend.

Excellent points tower II.  Has josh mac ever explained his whoopsie-do with the colts?  In any event, no question about his football lineage and experience.  We could use a little belichick up here about now

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 04:00:33 PM »
“For example, do folks think Mark Few never had higher-profile, better-paying opportunities than Gonzaga?”

Thought the same about brad Stevens

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »
Belichick's coaching tree is horrible though.  The only one with a winning NFL record is Bill O'Brien.

Maybe McDaniel's will be better this time around, but hiring Belicick assistants because teams believed they "could use a little Belichick" has been a bad route for most programs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »
(Lions fan nods dejectedly)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 07:06:32 PM »
Chris Mack was a Xavier grad and had all the job security in the world.

I doubt Fitz is the guy for Packers, but people leave their alma mater for other opportunities despite feeling comfortable where they are.

Yep. It gets down to whether he wants to take a shot in the NFL.

feedback