'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference Results/ NCAA/NIT/CBI  (Read 211475 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2019, 12:50:10 AM »
I thought Buzz was a great coach.  There's no way a high major level coach would ever let an opponent go on a 19-0 run.

At least that's what I've been told.

Not sure why all the VT love. They have been destroyed by the 2 teams who actually have more than a pulse. What an awful schedule they’ve played thus far.  (Aside from their best win against a struggling Purdue at the time)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2019, 07:58:53 AM »
So what is keeping MU's NET ranking so low? The two blow out road losses? As I watch it it seems like whenever MU wins there's almost little effect on their net ranking.. at first I thought it was because they hadn't won a road game but then they beat Creighton and then they beat Georgetown on the road and it did nothing for their net ranking

Their NET is significantly higher than all the other computer rankings. And yes, put simply its because when we lose, we get blown out but when we win, we only win by a few points. Personally, I think 21 is pretty right on the money for this team. NET is off for many other teams but not for us IMHO.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
I thought Buzz was a great coach.  There's no way a high major level coach would ever let an opponent go on a 19-0 run.

At least that's what I've been told.
remember the Louisville Meltdown/Lava Flow? We were ahead by about 22 or 23 with about 6 1/2 minutes left and Buzz blew it out his kielbasa.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2019, 08:26:42 AM »
Their NET is significantly higher than all the other computer rankings. And yes, put simply its because when we lose, we get blown out but when we win, we only win by a few points. Personally, I think 21 is pretty right on the money for this team. NET is off for many other teams but not for us IMHO.

At some point, the reality is that WE DON'T.  So put that in your effin' computer model b*tch!

(Not you TAMU.... them.)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2019, 08:30:31 AM »
remember the Louisville Meltdown/Lava Flow? We were ahead by about 22 or 23 with about 6 1/2 minutes left and Buzz blew it out his kielbasa.

It was 18pt lead 5:45 left. Just saw my sophomore year Facebook status about the game a couple days ago. Still hurts
Maigh Eo for Sam

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
At some point you would think our wins over Louisville, K-State, Wisconsin and Buffalo would start to help us out in the net rankings. K-State would be a top 15 team just like when we beat them if they weren't down 2 starters for multiple games including Wade who was out like 6.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #356 on: January 22, 2019, 08:46:00 AM »

Why should we be punished because we refuse to humiliate our opponents by running up the score?   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #357 on: January 22, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #358 on: January 22, 2019, 09:22:41 AM »
At some point you would think our wins over Louisville, K-State, Wisconsin and Buffalo would start to help us out in the net rankings. K-State would be a top 15 team just like when we beat them if they weren't down 2 starters for multiple games including Wade who was out like 6.

Yeah the Wade injury hurt them and us. Kstate is clearly better than their NET indicates.

Hopefully they stay hot and beat TT tonight
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #359 on: January 22, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »
So what is keeping MU's NET ranking so low? The two blow out road losses? As I watch it it seems like whenever MU wins there's almost little effect on their net ranking.. at first I thought it was because they hadn't won a road game but then they beat Creighton and then they beat Georgetown on the road and it did nothing for their net ranking

I suspect it's because we're winning games we're supposed to win. I don't think margin matters a ton, certainly not as much as people are saying, because our RPI is 18. I don't think beating Creighton, Georgetown, Providence, and (DLTD) DePaul will move the dial much. The teams that make bigger jumps are doing so in the ACC and Big 10 that have conferences loaded with depth.

I think our best chance to move up in that regard is to keep winning and hope teams we played do the same. Another thing that hurts is our buy opponents haven't helped us much. Presbyterian is the only one close to top-200 status. The rest are all sub-250 and 4/6 have losing conference records.

While the Buffalo win was the single best buy game value for any team in the nation this year, we'd really be well served by having teams like Charleston Southern, Bethune Cookman, North Dakota and UMBC competing in their leagues.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #360 on: January 22, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »
Why should we be punished because we refuse to humiliate our opponents by running up the score?   ;)

We shouldn't, but who really cares. Will the NET tell which team is a good or a bad match up come selection Sunday? Would you rather have a high NET rank because you clobbered your opponents then lose the National Championship game by one? The only real result that matters is who scored the most when the clock runs out. So just keep winning.

Duh!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #361 on: January 22, 2019, 11:47:59 AM »
I suspect it's because we're winning games we're supposed to win. I don't think margin matters a ton, certainly not as much as people are saying, because our RPI is 18. I don't think beating Creighton, Georgetown, Providence, and (DLTD) DePaul will move the dial much. The teams that make bigger jumps are doing so in the ACC and Big 10 that have conferences loaded with depth.

I think our best chance to move up in that regard is to keep winning and hope teams we played do the same. Another thing that hurts is our buy opponents haven't helped us much. Presbyterian is the only one close to top-200 status. The rest are all sub-250 and 4/6 have losing conference records.

While the Buffalo win was the single best buy game value for any team in the nation this year, we'd really be well served by having teams like Charleston Southern, Bethune Cookman, North Dakota and UMBC competing in their leagues.

I suspect you are right on the money. However, I thought UW beating Michigan would have impacted MU's NET to some extent, yet it had almost zero effect. I also would think that beating UW and Buffalo and K State would impact their NET ranking more than it has. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter...EXCEPT if it is used to seed teams..And since I don't trust the committee, and never have, never will..I could see them looking at MU being #21 in NET(at end of year hypothetically) and going "Yup...the top 6 seed'. When in reality, they should be(if the season ended today) no worse than a 4 seed, IMO.

You think their NET ranking is right on...maybe so, but if you ask me...they are closer to being as good as their AP ranking is currently(#12), then they are as low as their NET ranking has them(#21).
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #362 on: January 22, 2019, 01:09:47 PM »
I suspect you are right on the money. However, I thought UW beating Michigan would have impacted MU's NET to some extent, yet it had almost zero effect. I also would think that beating UW and Buffalo and K State would impact their NET ranking more than it has. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter...EXCEPT if it is used to seed teams..And since I don't trust the committee, and never have, never will..I could see them looking at MU being #21 in NET(at end of year hypothetically) and going "Yup...the top 6 seed'. When in reality, they should be(if the season ended today) no worse than a 4 seed, IMO.

You think their NET ranking is right on...maybe so, but if you ask me...they are closer to being as good as their AP ranking is currently(#12), then they are as low as their NET ranking has them(#21).

When the first NET came out we were sub-100 and have climbed from there. As nice as UW-M's win was, remember they were ranked I think 4th in NET when we beat them and are now 16th. I think it would help for UW-M to get back to Q1A status and KSU into Q1B, but I still think what drags us are the 6 lowest wins. We're great on high end quality, but too many low Q4s for my taste.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #363 on: January 22, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »
Big game for Butler tonight versus Villanova. Sold out crowd. Butler swept the Wildcats last season.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #364 on: January 22, 2019, 07:13:59 PM »
I’m not one to think the seeding will be paint-by-numbers with the NET. What’s the point of having a Committee if there are no decisions to make?  And how do you explain Syracuse the last few years?  I can’t believe that if Wisconsin finishes in the lower half of the B1G, how would the Committee view a 16 NET?  If Buffalo doesn’t lose again this season, how would the strength of their schedule be compared to ours?  Not gonna worry about it.  As folks say, just keep winning and the rest will take care of itself.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #365 on: January 22, 2019, 07:28:13 PM »
Still lots of time in this game.

But Nova looks good again.

If they win this one on the road. They will be tough to beat in the standings

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #366 on: January 22, 2019, 07:30:16 PM »
Big game for Butler tonight versus Villanova. Sold out crowd. Butler swept the Wildcats last season.
The Butler snake pit environment is a good thing for the Big East.  Would like to see Butler win, it is 61-56 with 7:59 left in the game.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #367 on: January 22, 2019, 07:32:55 PM »
NET rankings came out late today. Here they are as of Sunday January 21 games. MU moved up to 19.
New Old
19   21   Marquette   
28   28   Villanova   
40   42   St. John's
44   43   Butler   
56   56   Seton Hall   
62   63   Creighton   
80   80   Xavier   
84   83   Providence   
96   94   DePaul   
103   95   Georgetown   
                       ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #368 on: January 22, 2019, 08:24:14 PM »
I do want to win the conference but it's really not the worst thing building a big lead on everyone but Nova. It is possible that after tomorrow 8 conference teams will have at least 4 losses

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #369 on: January 22, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
I do want to win the conference but it's really not the worst thing building a big lead on everyone but Nova. It is possible that after tomorrow 8 conference teams will have at least 4 losses

It’s gonna be tough for us to fall out of top 2 regardless. It’s nice if Nova loses a few not just to try and win 1st. But so that other teams can get solid wins(that aren’t us).

A butler win tonight woulda helped them and it also woulda made a potential win vs Butler better for us.

But you’re right. Not the end of the world.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #370 on: January 22, 2019, 10:22:29 PM »
I find myself rooting for the underdog in BE play (except when MU involved of course). For some reason MU Going 18-0 and everyone else 8-10 is my perfect BE year.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 05:02:44 PM by MUBigDance »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #371 on: January 23, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
Big East Net Rankings after games of Tuesday January 22. Villanova moved up, MU moved down.
New Old
21   19   Marquette   
24   28   Villanova   
38   40   St. John's
47   44   Butler   
56   56   Seton Hall   
62   62   Creighton   
78   80   Xavier   
80   84   Providence   
95   96   DePaul   
107   103   Georgetown   
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #372 on: January 23, 2019, 07:07:40 PM »
Cooley & Company  hanging in there on the road against X. Up 62-52 with 3:35 left in the game
                       ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #373 on: January 23, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
Prov survives

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #374 on: January 23, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »
Cooley comes through .
                       ---Al McGuire