Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If Markus continues to put up 30 and 40 point games, and stays in the conversation for NPOY, do you expect Markus to return for his senior year?

Yes, 80-100% certain he will return.
218 (50.6%)
Probably, 60-80%
149 (34.6%)
Maybe, 40-60%
42 (9.7%)
Probably not, 20-40%
16 (3.7%)
No, 0-20%.  He is ready for the league.
6 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 429

Author Topic: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?  (Read 48259 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2018, 09:18:55 PM »
What does the n stand for?

Nationalbasketballassociation

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2018, 09:27:19 PM »
If Markus continues like this, my "near certainty" that he returns will change.  Bardo said it tonight.  If you can shoot like that, there will be a place for you in the NBA.  I mean, another year isn't going to get him to grow taller.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2018, 10:25:38 PM »
No I’m saying the key is he was a guy who could go 5th overall.

So it doesn’t matter if “people disagreed” with his call. He was gonna get paid.

Vander had zero guarantee of being paid.

So using a 5th overall pick as a talking point was irrelevant

I agree with you if we're comparing Richardson and Vander. The No. 5 pick in the draft is gonna get a lot of rope even if he sucks, and Richardson didn't suck.

However ...

Being drafted that high certainly is no guarantee that a player will last a long time in the league and make $100 million plus.

MJ drafted Adam Morrison #3 overall in 2006. He lasted only 3 seasons.

The 2000 draft was filled with busts. Here's the top 7:

Kenyon Martin ... Stromile Swift ... Darius Miles ... Marcus Fizer ... Mike Miller ... DerMarr Johnson ... Chris Mihm. Yikes! Mike Miller was the super-duper-duper star of that one.

But yes, PGH32, I think we agree in general. If you're gonna get drafted high, you go, even if you  aren't "ready."

Markus is very small and has yet to show he can play anything close to NBA-caliber PG. But the man can shoot (understatement of the year), and there is always a calling for that. It's going to be an interesting next 3+ months for Markus, and then it will be an interesting offseason.

Not a single mock draft has him going in the first round, and most don't have him going in the second. It will be up to him to prove he belongs.

I'm glad I get to watch him, whether it's for just another 3+ months or another season and a half.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2018, 11:50:42 PM »
If Markus continues like this, my "near certainty" that he returns will change.  Bardo said it tonight.  If you can shoot like that, there will be a place for you in the NBA.  I mean, another year isn't going to get him to grow taller.

Sultan, I would like to introduce you to my friend, Jimmer.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2018, 12:44:09 AM »
I agree with you if we're comparing Richardson and Vander. The No. 5 pick in the draft is gonna get a lot of rope even if he sucks, and Richardson didn't suck.

However ...

Being drafted that high certainly is no guarantee that a player will last a long time in the league and make $100 million plus.

MJ drafted Adam Morrison #3 overall in 2006. He lasted only 3 seasons.

The 2000 draft was filled with busts. Here's the top 7:

Kenyon Martin ... Stromile Swift ... Darius Miles ... Marcus Fizer ... Mike Miller ... DerMarr Johnson ... Chris Mihm. Yikes! Mike Miller was the super-duper-duper star of that one.

But yes, PGH32, I think we agree in general. If you're gonna get drafted high, you go, even if you  aren't "ready."

Markus is very small and has yet to show he can play anything close to NBA-caliber PG. But the man can shoot (understatement of the year), and there is always a calling for that. It's going to be an interesting next 3+ months for Markus, and then it will be an interesting offseason.

Not a single mock draft has him going in the first round, and most don't have him going in the second. It will be up to him to prove he belongs.

I'm glad I get to watch him, whether it's for just another 3+ months or another season and a half.

Kenyon Martin had a nice career. 15 years. Was an all star. Had a nice 10 years to start his career

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2018, 03:21:11 AM »
Mihm and Miles both played 9 years in the NBA, not bad.  Mikes had microfracture hampering his career.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2018, 07:03:25 AM »
  i love the optimism of  my fellow 'scoopers.  only about 10% feel he gowne  up to 50/50 he stays

i will never forget 2002/03 walking(not streaming) onto the court after we beat cincinnati.  i was with my then 9 year old son who eventually went to MU, and literally ran into dwayne thru all the mayhem.  my son, all 4' 10" of him, looked up at dwayne with the most sincerest of questions and asked him if he was staying...he looked down without hesitation and said...YES!  i knew he was gowne, but nothing wrong with little the little guy dreaming.  i think he(my son) was more in awe of just meeting him face to face. he never held it against him in any way and probably understood as dwayne pretty much became an instant nba star.

the only other people my son could have met at the time and just be pee in the pants in FREAKIN AWE would have been bret favre, his daughter brittney ;D) or God
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2018, 07:44:45 AM »

back to the markus thing-i think he may be weighing out some potential legacies including a good education.  let's just be realistic and say MU does well, goes deep into the dance and gets to the 16 or the 8.  he knows returning for his senior season, he gets another year of education, college fun, big man on campus, and BIG mention among the ncaa elite.   ALSO, he would be returning to essentially a better team losing only matt while gaining a year experience plus a couple of promising new comers.  MU would probably be on the short list to win the BIG ONE.   think of the numbers he could put up over a 4 year career

i believe returning would be a WIN-WIN with the exception of an injury.

there have been many "little guys" doing very well in the nba-

calvin murphy-isiah thomas-spudd webb-mugsy bogues-earl boykins-charlie criss-nate robinson-

don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »

Markus is a better shooter than Jimmer was.  He's also quicker. 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »
  there have been many "little guys" doing very well in the nba-

calvin murphy-isiah thomas-spudd webb-mugsy bogues-earl boykins-charlie criss-nate robinson-

Most of these guys are from a by-gone era.  Welcome to the modern NBA where 280 pound guys (LeBron) and seven-footers (KD) shoot as well as those little guys.

The modern NBA has no problem finding guys that can knock down a 3. Tons of guys in the G-League can do this. 

What the modern NBA needs is guys with the size to defend.  Cannot make every defensive play 5 against 4.

Of course their are exceptions, see Steph Curry.  As soon as MH start taking and hitting shots 15 feet behind the arc, I'll reconsider.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
Markus has a better career EFG and 3P% than Curry did at Davidson.

Of course that doesn't guaranty anything.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
Markus has a better career EFG and 3P% than Curry did at Davidson.

Of course that doesn't guaranty anything.

Curry is also 5 inches taller.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2018, 09:47:58 AM »
Curry is also 5 inches taller.

Yep.  As I said though, one more year of college isn't going to make him taller. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2018, 10:10:30 AM »
I don't know if he will go or not. If he's First Team All-American, it's been a little while since one of those guys stayed. Doug McDermott was the last to come back for another season after he was named First Team in 2013. Before that it was Jared Sullinger in 2011.

I'm not sure if Howard would get drafted even after a First Team year. My guess is he'd go in the second round just because his one skill is so elite, but in the last draft, no one whose height started with a 5 was drafted in either round. That said, I don't see his stock improving significantly if he is a First Team All-American. Does a POY award (if he doesn't win it this year) really move the needle that much?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2018, 10:13:36 AM »
That's why I think he goes through the process.  Go through what Ethan Happ did last year.  There's really no harm and only has an upside.

HammerScreen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »
Jimmer isn't a great comparison. As someone mentioned above, Markus is much quicker and Jimmer is a bigger guy. Fred Van Vleet might be a better comparison. If Markus continues the trajectory of playing better defense he has a chance to make it since Van Vleet is a tenacious defender, but I'd put it at 5%. 0% chance he leaves this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2018, 11:20:59 AM »
A slower, better shooting Van Vleet.  I like it!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2018, 11:43:08 AM »

Hasn’t Jimmer been getting NBA offers but elected to stay in China?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2018, 02:55:36 PM »
Let him go through process, no harm anymore.  Good reforms by evil NCAA that allows that ability to do so.  I think he comes back when they tell him where he will be drafted if he is drafted at all.  In the meantime enjoying his shooting especially when under control Markus is out there lighting it up....fun to watch.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
I think about Vander Blue. Premature to say the least. Henry Ellerson has done little but sit on the end of the bench.... Next year he will start an endless round of being the marginal player thrown in as part of a deal....
Could Markus listen to the wrong voices and take the plunge into the draft....perhaps.  I think he has clearly improved this season but not to the point he’s NBA ready.....yet.
Still any player with professional dreams has to know they are always one freak injury away from never being able to play again...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2018, 09:05:38 PM »
Unless Norway drafts him first.

Or the North Dakota semi pro league. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2018, 09:23:17 PM »
I think about Vander Blue. Premature to say the least. Henry Ellerson has done little but sit on the end of the bench.... Next year he will start an endless round of being the marginal player thrown in as part of a deal....
That was the way it was looking for Jae to start his career as well.  His trajectory changed dramatically.

Not that I think they are comparable, however.  I agree that your assessment seems like Henry's probable path.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »
Vander simply did not want to be in college any longer. His situation was different from Henry's and both are different from what Markus will face.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »
On this point....exactly right. 3 distinctly different situations. End game is the same...but all different applications.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »
On this point....exactly right. 3 distinctly different situations. End game is the same...but all different applications.
The story keeps getting worse and worse for poor Vander. Tonight he only played 6 minutes for the Wisconsin Herd. In the space of two years he has gone from g league MVP to potentially getting cut.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire