[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If Markus continues to put up 30 and 40 point games, and stays in the conversation for NPOY, do you expect Markus to return for his senior year?

Yes, 80-100% certain he will return.
218 (50.6%)
Probably, 60-80%
149 (34.6%)
Maybe, 40-60%
42 (9.7%)
Probably not, 20-40%
16 (3.7%)
No, 0-20%.  He is ready for the league.
6 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 429

Author Topic: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?  (Read 48275 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »
I think it is straight forward . If Markus is consistently on the mock drafts as a first rounder he will go. Right now he is not even on many mock draft boards at all.

I followed the mock draft board below closely during Henry’s season and it ended up pretty accurately predicting where he went. Markus is not listed in the top 100.

https://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/
bigboard

Will keep an eye on this for changes.

I agree with this. If he is on the board he probably goes and I would wish him all the best.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2018, 11:38:43 AM »
Oh, no!  Markus is going to be a grad transfer!

As smart as he is, I doubt that he would have the capacity time-wise to graduate in 3 years

Jalen Brunson just did it.  Classes in summer help.  I expect Marcus to stay, have enough credits to graduate in a December if he chooses to,  and then take graduate level courses at MU.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2018, 02:53:19 PM »
Trent Lockett also did it at ASU

Difference is Markus has not been loading up.on summer classes. Before his first season he played for Team USA in the summer and last year he went home I believe.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2018, 03:51:02 PM »
Trent Lockett also did it at ASU

Difference is Markus has not been loading up.on summer classes. Before his first season he played for Team USA in the summer and last year he went home I believe.
I believe he has only been on campus for Summer Session 2 for each of his 3 summers.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2018, 08:36:29 AM »
I do not believe that last year at this time Donte DiVincenzo had any thoughts about leaving early. I think Markus is in a similar predicament. If he has a tournament run like Donte, he's gone.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2018, 08:39:59 AM »
I do not believe that last year at this time Donte DiVincenzo had any thoughts about leaving early. I think Markus is in a similar predicament. If he has a tournament run like Donte, he's gone.

I sincerely hope he has that kind of tournament run.

I would gladly trade a fourth year of Markus for a second NCAA title!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »

DD had NBA build though, if Howard was taller or had a handle and speed of Nate Robinson, Mugsy or Isaiah Thomas he'd be gone by now. I think it would take increases his offensive efficiency to that of his freshman year again to get him to the first round which is the only reason to leave early anyways.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »
DD had NBA build though, if Howard was taller or had a handle and speed of Nate Robinson, Mugsy or Isaiah Thomas he'd be gone by now. I think it would take increases his offensive efficiency to that of his freshman year again to get him to the first round which is the only reason to leave early anyways.

Those 5 inches mean a lot.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
Current mock drafts....2019 nothing.

ESPN. MH not in top 100, but Sam Hauser is 98th for 2019.  Hauser projected 50th in 2020, Howard 60th in 2020.

NBA Draft.net has MH has 54th player selected in 2020 draft

His profile by one service with links within to others.

https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/markus-howard-scouting-report

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »
I'd say there is about a 1% chance Markus leaves Sam and Joey before he's supposed to. That being said, if they win a National Championship this year...that may change things, otherwise, that's his goal I believe.

Welcome back
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »

Need to have these private conversations at home 8-)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2018, 11:39:53 AM »
Say what you will about how he fits in the NBA etc, but if Ethan Happ stayed at UW, Markus will stay at MU. Happ, perhaps much like Markus, probably realizes the NBA is a long shot with his skill set, so might as well stay in school.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »

So barring a ncaa title run where he lights the nets and before that grows to 6’4” with NBA athleticism we are good?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2018, 07:51:02 PM »
Um, no. Nothing about growth spurts. But if we have a deep tourney run - like Villanova last year - and Markus has a good tourney along the way - like Donte did - he will make a move up the draft boards. The only way we would get that far is if he shows NBA athleticism. I'm not sure Donte showed NBA athleticism - certainly not prior to the tourney - to warrant such a high draft pick.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2018, 12:12:04 PM »
It is going to come down to draft projections, as many others here have mentioned. It will have nothing to do with loyalty, Wojo, Markus' intelligence, a degree, Marquette University, the potential for a "special season" next year, or any other of the ridiculous things mentioned by others. It is a business decision.

if Markus is projected to go in the first round after this season, he will almost certainly go. If he is projected to go in the 2nd round, I'd say its 50/50. If he isn't projected to be drafted he will return.

This is why I said earlier in this thread I think it is better than 50/50 he stays. Most NBA scouts do not see him being drafted in 2019.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:13:59 PM by Coleman »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
It is going to come down to draft projections, as many others here have mentioned. It will have nothing to do with loyalty, Wojo, Markus' intelligence, a degree, Marquette University, the potential for a "special season" next year, or any other of the ridiculous things mentioned by others. It is a business decision.

if Markus is projected to go in the first round after this season, he will almost certainly go. If he is projected to go in the 2nd round, I'd say its 50/50. If he isn't projected to be drafted he will return.

This is why I said earlier in this thread I think it is better than 50/50 he stays. Most NBA scouts do not see him being drafted in 2019.

As badly as I executed it, that was the point I was trying to make when I called Markus "very bright".

Vander was on few, if any draft boards as a pick.  Notwithstanding the other factors I mentioned, Markus is too smart to give up his college eligibility if his chances of getting drafted are slim.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2018, 12:20:12 PM »
As badly as I executed it, that was the point I was trying to make when I called Markus "very bright".

Vander was on few, if any draft boards as a pick.  Notwithstanding the other factors I mentioned, Markus is too smart to give up his college eligibility if his chances of getting drafted are slim.

Fair enough. I can see your original meaning, although I agree on the execution. Not to re-litigate the past, but I  do agree that Vander's decision was in spite of the reality of most draft boards at the time. I guess I'm still just touchy about the amount of heat a 21 year old kid took on this board. It didn't reflect very well on Scoop.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:22:52 PM by Coleman »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2018, 12:57:27 PM »

Agreed, but your assumption here is that Markus' chances of getting drafted will be slim at year end.

Compare him to Isaiah Thomas from Washington. He was 5'8" and left early after a junior year of a 113 ORtg, 51.7 % eFG, 35% 3FG, 72% FT, 32.7% ARate, 18.9% TORate. He was drafted last pick and put up some all star years before getting injured.

Markus is 5'11" and currently at 115.7 ORtg, 52.9% eFG, 40% 3FG, 91% FT, 28.9% ARate, 16.6% TORate. So comparable/better numbers, with one major difference: Markus is 2 full years younger than Isaiah Thomas was as a junior, and the NBA loves youth.

If he continues to average 25ppg with those efficiency numbers and we remain ranked high, win the BEast, and make a tourney run, I guarantee you will see him pop up on draft boards that he is not currently on. Ultimately he has an advantage over Vander with the new ability to declare and get better feedback with a longer time frame to return if you don't like what you hear. And as a very bright person, I have no doubt he will gather as much information as possible then ultimately make the best decision for his career.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »

But hè no longer has to give up his eligibility if not drafted.......

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/college-basketball-ncaa-rules-agents-explanation-nba-draft-undrafted-players-fbi

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
Agreed, but your assumption here is that Markus' chances of getting drafted will be slim at year end.

Compare him to Isaiah Thomas from Washington. He was 5'8" and left early after a junior year of a 113 ORtg, 51.7 % eFG, 35% 3FG, 72% FT, 32.7% ARate, 18.9% TORate. He was drafted last pick and put up some all star years before getting injured.

Markus is 5'11" and currently at 115.7 ORtg, 52.9% eFG, 40% 3FG, 91% FT, 28.9% ARate, 16.6% TORate. So comparable/better numbers, with one major difference: Markus is 2 full years younger than Isaiah Thomas was as a junior, and the NBA loves youth.

If he continues to average 25ppg with those efficiency numbers and we remain ranked high, win the BEast, and make a tourney run, I guarantee you will see him pop up on draft boards that he is not currently on. Ultimately he has an advantage over Vander with the new ability to declare and get better feedback with a longer time frame to return if you don't like what you hear. And as a very bright person, I have no doubt he will gather as much information as possible then ultimately make the best decision for his career.

What are the NBA guys saying, does he have a chance to be drafted after this season?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
But hè no longer has to give up his eligibility if not drafted.......

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/college-basketball-ncaa-rules-agents-explanation-nba-draft-undrafted-players-fbi

Great outcome for him.  Is this part of the Rice Commission?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2018, 01:17:24 PM »
What are the NBA guys saying, does he have a chance to be drafted after this season?

Interesting question! Why don't you log off as WarriorDad and respond to your own post as Cheeks with the NBA guys' opinions you already promised us?

Also, it does not matter what they think now. It matters what they think at the end of the season. Markus has plenty of chances to keep putting up wow-factor performances (he's already done it to two teams ranked in the mid teens).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2018, 01:39:26 PM »

Agree with this.

And this.

What NBA scouts might or might not be saying now matters little. What will they be saying 3 months from now?

Markus will -- and absolutely should -- make the decision that is best for Markus.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »
Um, no. Nothing about growth spurts. But if we have a deep tourney run - like Villanova last year - and Markus has a good tourney along the way - like Donte did - he will make a move up the draft boards. The only way we would get that far is if he shows NBA athleticism. I'm not sure Donte showed NBA athleticism - certainly not prior to the tourney - to warrant such a high draft pick.

Well his nickname was "the Michael Jordan of Delaware."

feedback