'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If Markus continues to put up 30 and 40 point games, and stays in the conversation for NPOY, do you expect Markus to return for his senior year?

Yes, 80-100% certain he will return.
218 (50.6%)
Probably, 60-80%
149 (34.6%)
Maybe, 40-60%
42 (9.7%)
Probably not, 20-40%
16 (3.7%)
No, 0-20%.  He is ready for the league.
6 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 429

Author Topic: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?  (Read 48262 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?
« on: December 23, 2018, 10:24:23 PM »
While there are not many 5'11" shooting  guards in the NBA, Markus is an elite scorer.  With the ability to shoot like he can I have a hard time believing he doesn't have a place in the NBA.  I am absolutely hopeful he has a long, successful NBA career, but that it does not begin until after a 2020 Final Four appearance.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:34:51 PM »
He is a very poor ball handler.  Watch his 5 first half turnovers.  He struggles to pass and handle the ball. Great shooter.  At 5’11” he needs to greatly improve his ball handling and court vision.  Not on draft boards for a reason.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 10:35:12 PM »
He'll be given a chance - in the G League at least.  Keep putting up these performances (I'm not trying to encourage him), and he may get drafted.  He does need to improve his ball control and assist numbers to really make NBA teams believe. 

MuMark

• All American

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 11:47:57 PM »
Only 19, has a LOT to work on.  I have published info from scouts in the past on Cracked Sidewalks around the draft.  Will do so again this year when it is time, but early discussions they say would be a bad move.  Undersized, average handle, streaky shooter, small body, not a great defender but getting better.  Many many positives, too....incredible college player....tough to see it translate to NBA. 

I was not high on Hank in NBA, believe Wades and I had a bet on that...but Hank coming out was a no brained because that draft class was so damn bad and the one after so good.  Business decision.  In Howard’s case, it isn’t a business decision at this point because the prospects aren’t there.  Now, with this new G league $100K stuff, maybe he goes down that path, but he has the chance to play in Europe and maybe somehow NBA one day, he needs to get better at some table stakes stuff. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

burger

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 12:43:39 AM »
Said he was going 4 years.....

Sam wants to play with his brother.....

We shall see.....

Things may change if something significant were to occur.....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 12:46:11 AM »
Every NBA team needs shooters, now more than ever. I can see a team that already has a really good PG and some size in the backcourt taking Markus as a floor-spacer who can get passes from a drive-and-kick PG and hit open 3s. It would be a role more similar to his role as a freshman, when he was more of a supporting player and benefited from others having more attention from defenses.

He has not yet shown he has the kind of court vision an NBA point guard needs to help his teammates excel. And he's far too loose with the basketball.

If he has the kind of season he's capable of, he'd be wise to take advantage of the rules, seek the opinion of NBA types and then act upon it. If he is fairly sure he'd be a first-round draft pick, go; if not, stay. Hard for me to believe he'd be a first-rounder, but I never though Lazar would be, either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 07:41:23 AM »
I expect he'll be back simply because I don't think his size fits what the league is looking for. But I also think it would be a mistake for him not to test the waters. Could be a busy summer for him. There's the draft, potentially the Pan-Am Games, then a Marquette international trip.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 07:45:38 AM »
Yes

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 07:56:15 AM »
I also think Markus (And Sam) know that next year could be special. I expect everyone to be back for a big year.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 08:11:33 AM »
Unlike the last non-lottery-pick player who left MU early for the draft, Markus is a very bright kid who values education, is extremely loyal, and is aware of his current strengths and weaknesses.

There is almost no downside to him staying for his senior year. He continues to improve, plays another year on a great team that will lose no starters, gets another year of favorable press, and likely picks up some (more) awards.

Chick jr. is on pace to complete her master's degree at Marquette in Spring of 2020, and I when I go the commencement ceremony, I fully expect to see Markus there in his cap and gown.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:35:45 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 08:18:54 AM »
Unlike the last non-lottery-pick player who left MU early for the draft, Markus is a very bright kid who values education, is extremely loyal, and is aware of his current strengths and weaknesses.

You could say nice things about Markus without disparaging Henry you know.  You have no idea how bright and loyal Henry is.  You also have no idea if he values education or not.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 08:27:38 AM »

You could say nice things about Markus without disparaging Henry you know.  You have no idea how bright and loyal Henry is.  You also have no idea if he values education or not.

You are right.

I should have said non-projected-lottery pick.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 08:31:16 AM »

In Henry's interviews he didn't exactly come off as the brightest. Hey not everyone's great at PR though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »
Let's put it this way.  The Ellenson family and Marquette each got what they wanted out of that brief relationship.  It was nice to see Henry at the game a couple weeks back.  Nice round of applause.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 08:42:34 AM »
Let's put it this way.  The Ellenson family and Marquette each got what they wanted for Henry out of that brief relationship.  It was nice to see Henry at the game a couple weeks back.  Nice round of applause.

FIFY   :-*
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »
#M2N

(I put 60 to 80% he's back).

I'm pleased this is a topic on Scoop in December 2018. Two and a half years ago not many of us saw the greatness that would be revealed.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »

There is almost no downside to him staying for his senior year. He continues to improve, plays another year on a great team that will lose no starters, gets another year of favorable press, and likely picks up some (more) awards.

Chick jr. is on pace to complete her master's degree at Marquette in Spring of 2020, and I when I go the commencement ceremony, I fully expect to see Markus there in his cap and gown.

Which means I wouldn't be surprised if he's on track to graduate in 3 years, like he did in HS. If he averages 25 ppg and we make an E8/FF with him having big performances, it would be difficult to see him stay when he already accomplished the degree

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »

I interpreted this as Vander
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 09:24:29 AM »
Which means I wouldn't be surprised if he's on track to graduate in 3 years, like he did in HS. If he averages 25 ppg and we make an E8/FF with him having big performances, it would be difficult to see him stay when he already accomplished the degree

Oh, no!  Markus is going to be a grad transfer!

As smart as he is, I doubt that he would have the capacity time-wise to graduate in 3 years. And what would be the incentive? There are only 24 hours in a day.  If he has extra room in his schedule, I think he would rather spend that time working on his basketball skills. 

I know he graduated from high school in 3 years, but if he had gone a 4th year, he could have loaded up on the AP courses and would have been even more likely to be able to graduate early.
Have some patience, FFS.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 09:31:39 AM »
Markus is this year's Trae Young.

But Trae is 6'2" and a much better ball handler.

Markus is a second rounder, and most likely. undrafted right now.  We'll see what the next 20 games bring.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 09:38:52 AM »
Well yeah, wear wood he be goin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 09:40:57 AM »

I think it is better than 50/50 Markus will be back next year. But there is always a downside to staying: A catastrophic injury before you get that first big check.

Also, no need to talk down on others who made what they felt was the best decision for their future, whether that decision was right or wrong. Loyalty has nothing to do with it. Vander is years in the rear view mirror. Time to let go.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:43:40 AM by Coleman »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 09:41:59 AM »
Markus is this year's Trae Young.

But Trae is 6'2" and a much better ball handler.

Markus is by far a better shooter (and younger than Young).

Trae coughed up the ball a ton. 5-6 turnovers in a game was norm for him. Despite an ultra-high usage, his turnover rate was 20% and he shot just 36% 3FG%.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.