Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Greg Elliott to RedShirt  (Read 12510 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Greg Elliott to RedShirt
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 10:42:16 PM »
Common-sense, mature decision for Elliott. Now we'll get 3 good years out of him.

The only other positive is that we don't have to speculate about it any more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 11:29:31 PM »
Very smart move by Greg. It is one thing to be cleared to play and it is another to be D1 level ready to play.  Greg was slated for a major role this year and I am sure next year together with Koby and Markus we will have a very strong back court.

This also helps balance the classes. We will have 1 freshman (2 if Ike red shirts), 3 sophomores  , 4 juniors and 4 seniors next year.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 11:41:45 PM »
We will have 1 freshman (2 if Ike red shirts)

When Ike is done at Marquette, he can move in with Otule and Eschmeyer and they can take turns telling kids to get out of their yard.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 12:33:29 AM »
Very smart move for everyone involved.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

1SE

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 03:12:15 AM »
There will probably be a game or two where we will miss the depth, but again who knows how D1 ready GE would be coming back in any case. You know these guys live and breath to be on the court, so many props to GE for taking the decision that hopefully will serve him (and MU) in the long run. Hope he comes back 110%!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 05:34:29 AM »
This is probably best for Greg.   Not sure it is best for the team.    And, if Markus or Joe go down, it can always be pulled.     I did notice Sacar running the point for a couple of possessions last night.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 05:36:48 AM »
This is probably best for Greg.   Not sure it is best for the team.    And, if Markus or Joe go down, it can always be pulled.     I did notice Sacar running the point for a couple of possessions last night.

I don't know how sacars court vision is but I think his handle could certainly be good enough for PG. in the very least good enough to beat a press.
Maigh Eo for Sam

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 05:57:07 AM »
Wishing Greg a good recovery.
Can any of the walk-ons play point like Cam Marrotta?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 06:23:52 AM »
Again, I think it is the right decision for Greg.    From a team standpoint, I am now scared to death.   Down to two guards.    Every time Markus goes down in a heap after a drive, our collective hearts are going to be in our collective throats.    I am flashing back to Marcus Jackson bringing the ball up the floor because Dameon Mason and Joe Chapman couldn't handle it.     Sacar ran the point for a few possessions last night.    Now picture that against SJU or any other team that pressures the ball.   Oh, wait, that will be every team if Sacar is at the point.   
   Time to try some zone.     Protect Markus on the defensive end from an endless stream of picks. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

1SE

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 07:06:59 AM »
Again, I think it is the right decision for Greg.    From a team standpoint, I am now scared to death.   Down to two guards.    Every time Markus goes down in a heap after a drive, our collective hearts are going to be in our collective throats.    I am flashing back to Marcus Jackson bringing the ball up the floor because Dameon Mason and Joe Chapman couldn't handle it.     Sacar ran the point for a few possessions last night.    Now picture that against SJU or any other team that pressures the ball.   Oh, wait, that will be every team if Sacar is at the point.   
   Time to try some zone.     Protect Markus on the defensive end from an endless stream of picks.

To be fair that’s the case whether Greg is suited up or not
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 07:35:50 AM »
We need Joe C to be who we thought he would be.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 07:38:09 AM »
Time for Jamal to step up...not as a guard but as energy off the bench. Wish I knew why he gets so little time after decent last year? Must be a practice thing.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 07:55:26 AM »

Wildly disagree...injuries happen and while I will pray to whatever saint is the patron of sports injuries and crazy fandom that Markus stays healthy we can't change our defense now. We are who we are and we got to play that way. This team is way more prepared than the Marcus Jackson year simply because anyone of the Hausers, Chartouney, or Sacar in a pinch can bring the ball up.

Markus has to play smart but we got to dance with the girl that brought us.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 07:58:05 AM »
Greg still needs his body to mature as he is so skinny, needs to add 20 pounds to that frame but that will not happen.  Supposedly he gained 5 pounds, hope he
can add 5 more pounds this next year to get up to 180.  Since MU already uses a 9 man rotation, maybe 10 with Matt sometimes it would be hard for him to get his
minutes.  Chartonny will have to play better, but he is a turnover every minute it seems, and I mean bad turnovers.  He has to improve.  Looked good at times yesterday
then made 2 horrendous turnovers, maybe 3.  He does play decent D and rebounds well, but the turnovers, ouch.  Watched Buffalo, they play solid D, much like K State.
Marcus will have to have a big game, they play hard, and compete big time on the glass.  They had like 17 offensive rebounds yesterday.  This game will tell us how
MU will be in the Big East.  Very quick and talented.  Have to get the ball inside to Theo and Morrow, might be the best game at the Fiserv this year.

Also, any work on Eke, will he ever play again?  If not, there is 2 open scholys for next year.  Like to see them get a 6'5" slasher.  Not sure about Cain or Bailey, being
that guy.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 07:58:22 AM »
Wildly disagree...injuries happen and while I will pray to whatever saint is the patron of sports injuries and crazy fandom that Markus stays healthy we can't change our defense now. We are who we are and we got to play that way. This team is way more prepared than the Marcus Jackson year simply because anyone of the Hausers, Chartouney, or Sacar in a pinch can bring the ball up.

Markus has to play smart but we got to dance with the girl that brought us.

He can always remove the redshirt in some sort of disaster scenario, right?  I thought this was more of a media/fan message that he isnt likely to come back vs. something official.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 08:03:08 AM »
He can always remove the redshirt in some sort of disaster scenario, right?  I thought this was more of a media/fan message that he isnt likely to come back vs. something official.

Yes, you can always remove the redshirt.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
Sounds like the best move for Greg.

Barring injuries, we should be fine. If Joseph steps up his game, we should be more than fine. And for those who think he can't/won't, remember that many here were still down on guys like Lockett and Reinhardt at this point in their respective MU careers. Before they left, both helped in key BE wins.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »
Sounds like the best move for Greg.

Barring injuries, we should be fine. If Joseph steps up his game, we should be more than fine. And for those who think he can't/won't, remember that many here were still down on guys like Lockett and Reinhardt at this point in their respective MU careers. Before they left, both helped in key BE wins.

Chartouny does not concern me.   Injuries do. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2018, 08:31:45 AM »
We need Joe C to be who we thought he would be.

Outside of the turnovers,  he pretty much is what I thought he would be.   I thought his role would be a little bigger but not much.   25-30 mpg, 5-7 ppg, 4-5 apg, solid defense,  shooting about where he's at.

The turnovers have been a killer.  But his per minute stats fit my expectations.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2018, 08:46:43 AM »
Chartouny does not concern me.   Injuries do.

Fair enough. But if we have a key injury and Greg really is ready to play, they can always lift the redshirt.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »
Fair enough. But if we have a key injury and Greg really is ready to play, they can always lift the redshirt.

That would be an interesting conundrum.   I remember Cadougan did it with his achilles but then didn't play that many minutes.   If, at the end of January for example, there was an injury to Markus or Chartouny, would/should Greg lift the red shirt?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »
Outside of the turnovers,  he pretty much is what I thought he would be.   I thought his role would be a little bigger but not much.   25-30 mpg, 5-7 ppg, 4-5 apg, solid defense,  shooting about where he's at.

The turnovers have been a killer.  But his per minute stats fit my expectations.
I guess the question are Wojo’s expectations the same as yours?
He seems over his head to me.
If JC steals the Ball and turns it over on the fast break, not good.
He’s got to hit the open 3.
He needs to hit his FTs—especially late in the game or Wojo will have to get him out.
I’m holding out for the improvement as the season progresses, but I think most thought he would be more (if he is what he is now).

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »

JoeC has been awful. He's a net-negative player, weighted down by a 37% turnover rate (!!!) which is worse in transition (where it's at 60%). That is deadly. 

how bad? Torvik tracks stats for 2208 qualifying players -- 2,193 players are better at protecting the ball than Chartouny. He has the 2nd worst turnover rate of any player in a major conference.

He's deadly.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 09:01:52 AM »
That would be an interesting conundrum.   I remember Cadougan did it with his achilles but then didn't play that many minutes.   If, at the end of January for example, there was an injury to Markus or Chartouny, would/should Greg lift the red shirt?

Yes it would. IMHO, that would depend on (1) where the team was (on top of the BE heading for a 1-4 NCAA seed vs mid-pack), (2) how game-ready Greg looks, and (3) what Greg thinks about the situation.

If we are fighting for a championship and the docs/coaches feel Greg is really ready to play full-tilt (NOT "I'll give it my best shot" ready, like Junior or Dominic when they tried, but really ready), then I'd support Greg's choice. If we aren't there yet, I'd keep him out.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
Like it!  Great for the program. Smart choice in Greg’s part IMO.

feedback