Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Those Bulls are tough  (Read 5334 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Those Bulls are tough
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
KenPom now has them listed as an A game for us.   When's the last time MU had 3 A games in its non conf.  Great stuff.

I'm going to assume you mean home games, but overall Marquette has 5 A games in non-conference.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
I think we see a lot of small ball in this game to cope with their 5 out offense.

Joey I think gets big minutes and stays on Perkins. If Joey can give him same treatment he gave Dean Wade that takes a big weapon away from them. Ed probably spells him if anybody.

Sammy matches up with Jeremy Harris. He's had a rough shooting start to the year but he shot 42% from deep last season with over 90 makes. This season he is shooting 26% from deep but take away his 4/5 performance against D2 LeMoyne and its an even worse 22%. Can't let this be the game he finds his stroke.

Sacar will get the tall task of slowing down CJ Massingurg. This is the matchup I am most unsure about because the guy is just beast of a player. He has a triple double on the season and his two biggest games were against the two biggest opponents (@West Virginia and @Cuse). I think he will get his but if Sacar can just slow him down that would be huge.

I think Markus gets Jayvon Graves. He's the fourth scoring option but has big game potential with three games of 16 points or more already. Do to him what he did to Trice and keep him from going off.

Finally I'd put Joe on Davonta Jordan. I know Joe had a rough go of it last night but Jordan is the floor general and is prone to some sloppy turnovers. If Joe can channel his inner steals leader of the last two seasons it could completely throw off their offense.

I'm not worried about our ability to stop their half court offense. It's our offense that will win or lose the game for us. We will have a lot of opportunities to create mismatches with this team. We will have a massive height advantage on the wing. This would be the perfect game for Jamal of Bailey to find their stroke from deep. If they don't, run ball switches until you can get one of the Hauser boys matched up on one of their 6"3 wings and fire away. I would try to establish Ed early and often. If he can get some fouls on Perkins then I don't think Buffalo will have the horses to keep up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
I think we see a lot of small ball in this game to cope with their 5 out offense.

Joey I think gets big minutes and stays on Perkins. If Joey can give him same treatment he gave Dean Wade that takes a big weapon away from them. Ed probably spells him if anybody.

Sammy matches up with Jeremy Harris. He's had a rough shooting start to the year but he shot 42% from deep last season with over 90 makes. This season he is shooting 26% from deep but take away his 4/5 performance against D2 LeMoyne and its an even worse 22%. Can't let this be the game he finds his stroke.

Sacar will get the tall task of slowing down CJ Massingurg. This is the matchup I am most unsure about because the guy is just beast of a player. He has a triple double on the season and his two biggest games were against the two biggest opponents (@West Virginia and @Cuse). I think he will get his but if Sacar can just slow him down that would be huge.

I think Markus gets Jayvon Graves. He's the fourth scoring option but has big game potential with three games of 16 points or more already. Do to him what he did to Trice and keep him from going off.

Finally I'd put Joe on Davonta Jordan. I know Joe had a rough go of it last night but Jordan is the floor general and is prone to some sloppy turnovers. If Joe can channel his inner steals leader of the last two seasons it could completely throw off their offense.

I'm not worried about our ability to stop their half court offense. It's our offense that will win or lose the game for us. We will have a lot of opportunities to create mismatches with this team. We will have a massive height advantage on the wing. This would be the perfect game for Jamal of Bailey to find their stroke from deep. If they don't, run ball switches until you can get one of the Hauser boys matched up on one of their 6"3 wings and fire away. I would try to establish Ed early and often. If he can get some fouls on Perkins then I don't think Buffalo will have the horses to keep up.

Thank you for this thorough analysis, TAMU. I'm psyched for another big win over a ranked opponent for our surging Warrior Eagles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
The game was close until the last 4:25. Cuse only scored 2 points the rest of the game. Basketball is a game of runs. We will need to be sure to find a way to stop them when a run starts. I think a lot of that is on Wojo to call good plays out of the timeout.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »
Buffalo's win at Cuse last night basically means we can't lose on Friday night (I mean, we can lose, but even if we do, it doesn't really hurt us). 

If Buffalo wins, then I think they likely become a sure-fire top 10 team and have a chance to go undefeated in the regular season--which means no one will sniff at a loss to them, even at home.  If Indiana sticks around the top 25, then our only non-con losses would be to top 25 teams.  If Buffalo lost to both us and Syracuse in one week, there's a danger they'd drop out of the rankings altogether.   

If we win on the other hand, we'll likely be the only tournament team to beat them, which will be a great feather in our cap. 

And, if Buffalo had lost to Syracuse, I'd be nervous that they'd come out gunning on Friday.  Now, there is a chance that we can catch them on a down night after a big win, the weekend before Xmas.  Basically, this set up about as well as you can imagine for us, other than concerns about having a good home crowd.

feedback