[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Worst to first  (Read 6565 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Worst to first
« on: December 14, 2018, 07:36:35 PM »
According to KenPom.com, MU currently has the top rated adjusted defensive efficiency in the Big East -- after finishing 10th in the conference last season.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
Re: Worst to first
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
Personnel, not scheme.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 07:58:04 PM »
Agreed. But different personnel also allows Wojo to do some different things scheme-wise. Seems like we've mixed in a bit more zone and trap defense this season.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 08:06:22 PM »
Very little zone in the half court.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 08:08:13 PM »
So their defense is much better...........but their offense is a little worse? Hmm.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »
Offense is quite a bit worse if you go by just this season's stats.

Defense much better......no Rowsey.....add Morrow(subtract Heldt) and JC and Joey. Defensive rebounding numbers much better along with just about everything else other then forcing turnovers.

Offense worse.....no Rowsey.....

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 08:58:53 PM »

Defense much better......no Rowsey.....add Morrow(subtract Heldt) and JC and Joey. Defensive rebounding numbers much better along with just about everything else other then forcing turnovers.

Indeed it’s much worse. Most didn’t think it would be this bad, and will improve as the season progresses.
Some also didn’t think our defense would improve as well as it has, and that it would have little effect on our offensive numbers.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 09:29:26 PM »
Indeed it’s much worse. Most didn’t think it would be this bad, and will improve as the season progresses.
Some also didn’t think our defense would improve as well as it has, and that it would have little effect on our offensive numbers.

The trade off is worth it.  Better defense gives more options to win than better offense in the long run.  More ways to win.  Kevin O'Neill's clubs proved that.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »
Personnel, not scheme.
lmfao
Anyone can tell they are not pressuring out nearly as far as the past 2 seasons

Makes perfect sense too
They don’t have any quickness whatsoever

The pace of play has been limited to the high 70s

Give wojo credit...
He has realized he can’t play duke ball at mu

Finally...
Very smart tactical change by wojo!!!!
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »
lmfao

Makes perfect sense too

Give wojo credit...

Finally...

So your contention that replacing a midget who had absolutely no interest in even trying to play defense with a couple of players who actually know how to play D and want to do it has little to do with our defensive improvement?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »
The trade off is worth it.  Better defense gives more options to win than better offense in the long run.  More ways to win.  Kevin O'Neill's clubs proved that.
No sheet. Common sense proves it, hundreds of coaches and teams have proved it.....including KO.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »

I think you're spot on, though I do think the offense will get better as players get more comfortable in their rolls without the D declining. 

My impression is that some of the straight man defense, specifically with Marcus and Theo, is much better than last year.  Going into the WI game we all assumed Sacar would be on Trice the whole game but Marcus held him for the majority.  That's more than just making up for Rowsey right? 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 12:23:03 AM »
So your contention that replacing a midget who had absolutely no interest in even trying to play defense with a couple of players who actually know how to play D and want to do it has little to do with our defensive improvement?

Not going to speak for him and agree personnel plays a huge part, but we have definitely overhauled/simplified our defense. Packing it in more, switching ball screens instead of the high hedge.

Personnel allows them to switch more. Imagine Heldt on a scoring guard. Morrow and Theo can do it just well enough. But we're starting the defense lower than we have in years past for sure. That was an adjustment and one that seems to be paying off. We are forcing far less turnovers but the other 3 of the 4 factors have greatly improved.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 06:24:52 AM »
Trying to find in my post anything that resembles what you refer to here...
Can’t seem to find it.
I said they aren’t Extending as far out on d.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 09:16:13 AM »

Replacing a midget with a "couple" extra defenders sounds like pushing the rules.  But I can't disagree with the results! :-)

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »
No question the def se is much improved whether it be personnel or scheme or both.   We aren’t  hedging as much at the top of the key with outer bigs, and if we do Theo and Ed handle it better.  Matt is very good under the basket for defense.  We are oacking the paint a bit more, and in ball is better by Marcus.  Sacar solid, JC pretty dood on D, is like to see more Jamal, and looking forward to Greg returning.

The offense will come around - when Sam, Marcus and Joey are all hitting at the same time, we will be hard to stop.  Add Bailey hitting more, Jamal a few, Greg com8ng back - offense will be fine.

Go Marquette!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
My impression is that some of the straight man defense, specifically with Marcus and Theo, is much better than last year.  Going into the WI game we all assumed Sacar would be on Trice the whole game but Marcus held him for the majority. 

Markus did a fantastic job on Trice, much better than I think anyone would have bet.  That allowed Sacar to slide over to Floppy McDickpuncher.  What was his stat line, again?  ;D
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 09:49:18 AM »
lmfao

Makes perfect sense too

Give wojo credit...

Finally...
This is EXACTLY correct.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 10:49:26 AM »
Seems to be a combination of factors.

1. We are a lot taller team now
2. Better defensive team rebounding
3. Better overall defensive scheme
4. More experience from our key contributers
5. Better help defense

I don't think Joey and Bailey are good defenders but they have length.  Joe C's strength is his defense.  Markus seems much improved on the defensive end.  Anim has always been a good defender.  Morrow is solid and John is improved from his early freshmen season.  Heldt's minutes have decreased substantially which is good and Rowsey was an awful defender.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »
I think you're spot on, though I do think the offense will get better as players get more comfortable in their rolls without the D declining. 

My impression is that some of the straight man defense, specifically with Marcus and Theo, is much better than last year.  Going into the WI game we all assumed Sacar would be on Trice the whole game but Marcus held him for the majority.  That's more than just making up for Rowsey right?

Markus is so much improved on the defensive end it's almost like he isn't the same guy.

Subtracting Rowsey and adding guys that are bigger, tougher and more capable of playing defense has made a world of difference. We are now capable of switching screens with guys like Joey, Morrow, Theo, Chartouny, Bailey and Sam without getting into horrible mismatches too often.

If teams score on us now ....for the most part ....they earn it.......last 2 years they either exploited a mismatch, took advantage of a breakdown or got an offensive rebound.

Ps Joey is better then I thought on that end....he lives his feet pretty well and doesn't back down against difficult assignments like Dean Wade.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »
Markus is so much improved on the defensive end it's almost like he isn't the same guy.

Subtracting Rowsey and adding guys that are bigger, tougher and more capable of playing defense has made a world of difference. We are now capable of switching screens with guys like Joey, Morrow, Theo, Chartouny, Bailey and Sam without getting into horrible mismatches too often.

If teams score on us now ....for the most part ....they earn it.......last 2 years they either exploited a mismatch, took advantage of a breakdown or got an offensive rebound.

Ps Joey is better then I thought on that end....he lives his feet pretty well and doesn't back down against difficult assignments like Dean Wade.

Agree with all of this. Markus' effort on the defensive end has been really impressive to see.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
Trying to find in my post anything that resembles what you refer to here...
Can’t seem to find it.
I said they aren’t Extending as far out on d.

Well, unless I read it wrong, you started by laughing your effen arse off at the notion that personnel was more important than scheme to the improved defense.

I would contend that the changes in personnel made it possible to change the scheme, not vice versa. But sure, maybe I'm wrong about that.

Replacing a midget with a "couple" extra defenders sounds like pushing the rules.  But I can't disagree with the results! :-)

I can't believe we still haven't had a T called on us for having 6 guys on the court!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »
Agree with all of this. Markus' effort on the defensive end has been really impressive to see.
Well, he IS 19 now.   

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »

We should probably add this term to the Scoop banned words list. 

Not going to speak for him and agree personnel plays a huge part, but we have definitely overhauled/simplified our defense. Packing it in more, switching ball screens instead of the high hedge.

Personnel allows them to switch more. Imagine Heldt on a scoring guard. Morrow and Theo can do it just well enough. But we're starting the defense lower than we have in years past for sure. That was an adjustment and one that seems to be paying off. We are forcing far less turnovers but the other 3 of the 4 factors have greatly improved.

I agree with this analysis.  The scheme change has been quite beneficial as has the complexion of the chosen lineup - not playing two midgets small people together.

The defensive improvement has been greater than I anticipated, so tip of the cap to Wojo and staff.  Good to be able to win some games when we don't have to have an A-game offensively. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2018, 10:00:18 AM »
Well, he IS 19 now.
Do we think this might be the cause of his somewhat lower shooting numbers?  We know that we all slow down as we age...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback