Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Is Markus shooting too much?  (Read 6886 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] Is Markus shooting too much?
« on: December 14, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
Howard's statline against UW was rough, literally one of the worst high volume performances in recent cbb history. And yet, looking at a lot of fancy numbers, I think Markus' heavy usage approach this season is not only appropriate, it's necessary for Marquette to contend for the BEast title. Here's 2,500 words to back that up.

https://painttouches.com/2018/12/14/howards-delicate-dance-of-volume-vs-efficiency/

BM1090

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Is Markus shooting too much?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 02:15:50 PM »
Good, interesting read. Thanks for this

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 02:29:16 PM »
No.  He needs to make more.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »
He needs to shoot less only if the other guys get more aggressive.

Thing that stands out to me as a negative are some decisions he makes to shoot over bigger guys on the drive to the hoop.

Stay aggressive Markus.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 02:55:30 PM »
I'm willing to bet that the coaches against UW just said "keep shooting" during every timeout.  Clearly he can shoot and score at a high level, and the last thing he needs to be doing is second-guessing himself, or forcing passes just because his last few shots didn't go down.  Let him go 7-for-29 or you'll never get 17-for-29.   

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
I don't mind when he tries to create something at the end of a possession, but it drives me crazy when he takes a highly contested low percentage shot with 22 seconds left on the shot clock. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 04:08:21 PM »
Well written.  I'm confident that Markus is analyzing his game with the assistance of his coaches.  He wants to win more than anything else.  It has never been about 'him'.  He'll do whatever is in his power to maximize MU's shot at victory.  And he'll continue to refine his game to achieve that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »
Well written.  I'm confident that Markus is analyzing his game with the assistance of his coaches.  He wants to win more than anything else.  It has never been about 'him'.  He'll do whatever is in his power to maximize MU's shot at victory.  And he'll continue to refine his game to achieve that.
I would definitely say that Sam wants to win more than anything else.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 04:42:23 PM »
I loved Markus approach to the game.  I want him to come out looking for shots every game, because the majority of time he will go 20-29 and we will win.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 05:33:32 PM »
I rewatched the game earlier in the week, and found that most of his misses were the types of shots that he usually makes at a much higher clip--he just was off a little.  Sure, there were a few bad shots early in the possession, but many were actually pretty good looks (or at least one or two late possession shots that he just had to try and create something).  After rewatching, I was less concerned about his overall volume, because I think he just had an off-shooting night. 

I do think his defensive effort has ramped up (and especially on Trice), so his timing on the offensive end has not been quite as crisp as in other years.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
Yes, he shoots too much.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Richie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
I don't mind when he tries to create something at the end of a possession, but it drives me crazy when he takes a highly contested low percentage shot with 22 seconds left on the shot clock.
Agree 100%. Early in a possession before touches by others, not necessarily paint touches, drives me nuts. If he bails us out at the end, or takes a bad shot at the end after a bit of ball movement and a touch by Sam, I can accept that. Even the last shot in the Badger game at the end of regulation was fine, it was within what we were trying to do. It's not about number, but situation

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 06:47:57 PM »
Markus is a leader who makes a huge difference by shooting or playmaking.  We should all appreciate him while he is a warrior.  He is a winner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 07:49:06 PM »
Great article. Thanks for posting.

Agree that Markus is doing what's needed to give MU the best chance too win. He's gonna have off nights. But if this team is going to reach its full potential, everybody else needs to step up. Theo and Ed are turning the ball over way too often. I don't expect Bailey and Cain to shoot under 30% for the rest of the season. Sacar can play a bigger role in the offense. And Chartouny needs to settle in.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 09:50:33 PM »
What would have helped reduce some stress on Markus would have been Anim filling his role as slasher.  JC tried 2-3 times and got to the hoop before missing.  But we really need someone to step up as a slasher like Vander showed up his JR year. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 10:01:55 PM »

This.

Except I doubt he takes as many of those as you think.

A couple/few times a game, he reminds me of what Rowsey used to do sometimes -- fire up some extremely low-percentage shot "just because" -- but Markus isn't as good at it as Rowsey was. Markus also is not gifted with great court vision when it comes to finding open teammates.

But Markus is very good at what he does, and as Andrei said, nobody was beyotching about it when he was scoring 45 against K-State.

Shooters gotta shoot.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 03:24:25 AM »
Interesting piece and thread. I think how (Wojo gets) Markus (to) self-regulate(s) will determine our ceiling this season. I'd argue we beat UW in spite of Markus, rather than because of. If he plays a bit more within himself - realizes he's having a bit of an off night and looks the get the ball more to Joey, Sam or Sacar I think we'd have won that game by a dozen. Of course he normally makes a lot of the shots he took vs. UW, but there were even better looks available on many possessions. Even on his off nights, Markus is going to draw a lot of attention. If we can consistently exploit that, I think we can win a lot of games when Markus is far from his best.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 04:54:18 AM »
I am just reviewing the makeup of past successful Marquette teams.  Teams with balanced scoring spread across four guys that can consistently drop 12+ point a game is what spelled success for Marquette the last 15+ years.  If you get five scorers who can all put in 12+ points a game you probably have a final four team. 
Teams like:
Wade Diener Novak Robert Jackson
Novak James, Mathews McNeil
James Mathews McNeil Hayward
Hayward Butler Cubby Maurice (these guys stepped up their senior year)
Mix and Buzz's teams of
Butler DJO Crowder Wilson Junior Davante, etc..

Just looking at MU past history of success, if you have an offense with Markus shoot first and then the rest I think this team will be at best 500 in the BEAST.
Defense won the Wisconsin game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 05:48:38 AM »
Just looking at MU past history of success, if you have an offense with Markus shoot first and then the rest I think this team will be at best 500 in the BEAST.
Defense won the Wisconsin game.

Defense has won most of our games. Sam and Joey are both averaging double figures. Sacar, Theo, & Chartouny have all proven capable at times of being a fourth scorer. None of the teams you mentioned had 4 guys averaging 12+. The capability is there, and the defense gives us a little more room for error.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 08:21:47 AM »
Been some really good discussion.  Agree completely that Markus needs to develop a bit of a better clock in his head.  Early in the possession: can I get a good look that I have every expectation of making or is my look only 'okay' and do I need to see Joey/Sammy outside or Ed/Theo down low?  Late in the possession: I need to get us a shot so we don't have an empty possession.

That last play in regulation was perfectly fine.  And when nothing has worked and we're down to 8 on the shot clock, go for it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 08:56:56 AM »
My complaint about Markus last year was that once he got the ball it was not going to go anywhere else. The Wisconsin game reminded me of last year.
Several years ago UConn won the Big East tournament and the NCAA tournament, because their guard (Walker?) went on a nine game roll where nobody could stop him. The way Markus played against Kansas St. reminded me of Walker. I think a hot Markus gives us the chance to beat any team. Markus needs to share the ball more when he is not on fire. Generally, Markus took good shots against Wisconsin, but he should of realized after his first drive he was not going score when he drove in against Happ and Ruevers.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 09:34:12 AM »
What would help Marcus’ percentages and all outside shooters percentages is if we can aggressively attack the rim.   The last 4 games, we have started out attacking the rim, getting 8nside, feeding the post.   We need more slashers like Sacar - can’t wait for Greg to get back.   Then the outside shooters will have more open shots. 

Love the aggressiveness on D.   We will be fine. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
For Markus to take less shots, Joey and Sam need to figure out how to get open, or run a better offense to get them open.  Secondly,  MU needs to take advantage
of Theo or Ed down low, then movement on the outside to get the Hauser boys open shots.  Until that happens, Markus might be the show all year.  Sacar has to
be more aggressive as well as he can get his own shot. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
MU can run more sets for Joey/Sam...but Markus needs to find them as well.  Against UW Sam literally had to grab Joey to calm him down as he was pissed at Markus for missing him and taking a tough shot during clutch time.  I'm not convinced Markus will ever be a pg.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
Markus is a phenomenal shooter, which is why it's clear to me he's shooting way too much. 23 PPG on under 40% is ROUGH. 40% is not the percent of a marksman, that's the percent of a bricklayer. Supporters of him shooting all game at a 40% clip will be changing their tune once MU starts dropping more games including a couple to inferior teams due (exclusively) to poor shot selection.

feedback