[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Downtown Milwaukee Living  (Read 8851 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Downtown Milwaukee Living
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2018, 01:09:54 PM »

Minneapolis... downtown... while more vibrant than Milwaukee.. can also feel dead at night & certain weekends. Even the skyways aren’t super resident-friendly (eg, some don’t open until noon on Sundays... how can I get yo church or brunch?!?!)

Love MPLS, but I'm not a fan of the skyways. I get why they have them, but IMHO they killed street level activity and have the downsides you mentioned about hours of operation. If I ever move there (a possibility w/in a few years), I would probably look in the Calhoun Isles, Whittier and Lyndale areas, or possibly the North Loop.

Regarding Milwaukee, the Third Ward is nice.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »
A friend of mine was telling me I should try and buy a condo in foreclosure near the river. Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a forclosed property?

I only know of one coworker that did it, and it took a very long time to complete the sale. I believe there was a sheriff’s sale or auction, and the previous owner wouldn’t vacate the property. I thought by the time of a sherrif’s sale the house had to be vacant. Needless to say it was a headache, but if the property is vacant, like it should be, it seems like you can get a good deal as long as the property is in good condition.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »
Love MPLS, but I'm not a fan of the skyways. I get why they have them, but IMHO they killed street level activity and have the downsides you mentioned about hours of operation. If I ever move there (a possibility w/in a few years), I would probably look in the Calhoun Isles, Whittier and Lyndale areas, or possibly the North Loop.

I think downtown would still feel dead a lot of the time and I’m the summer, many steer clear of the skyways.

This morning I walked from my place to Target Center for morning b-ball... then strolled back, all in the skyway wearing shorts - love that! Can order via app to pick up food on the walk home, no coat required.

But, lots of buildings aren’t connected or connections require you to walk way more than just going outside.

Good and bad... but outside in the warm weather, you get plenty of street level traffic in Nicollet, etc. Join us!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2018, 05:01:53 PM »
A friend of mine was telling me I should try and buy a condo in foreclosure near the river. Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a forclosed property?

I only know of one coworker that did it, and it took a very long time to complete the sale. I believe there was a sheriff’s sale or auction, and the previous owner wouldn’t vacate the property. I thought by the time of a sherrif’s sale the house had to be vacant. Needless to say it was a headache, but if the property is vacant, like it should be, it seems like you can get a good deal as long as the property is in good condition.

If you don't know how to do it or don't have a good real estate attorney who will work cheaply I would stay away. You have to deal liens, court costs, banks, etc. Also, no inspection and is as is. Just cause it's new doesn't mean it wasn't built with shiit materials and craftsmanship. You're better off buying a property that is either 1) in an about to be very hot area or 2) something that needs renovation - hopefully that you can do with some sweat. That's your best plan to build equity vs. foreclosure.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2018, 12:16:52 AM »
Milwaukee sure is a lot cooler place since I went to MU and worked in the dreary Grand Theater. I didn't love stepping out of that dump into the night and waiting for a bus.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »

IM me if you'd like to discuss the process.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2018, 09:30:32 AM »
Milwaukee sure is a lot cooler place since I went to MU and worked in the dreary Grand Theater. I didn't love stepping out of that dump into the night and waiting for a bus.

Speaking of, you may enjoy this- https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/12/19/msos-warner-grand-theatre-renovation-reveals-long.html

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2018, 10:14:29 AM »

Still pissed that they shut down the Uptown Arby's, ain-a?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »
If you don't know how to do it or don't have a good real estate attorney who will work cheaply I would stay away. You have to deal liens, court costs, banks, etc. Also, no inspection and is as is. Just cause it's new doesn't mean it wasn't built with shiit materials and craftsmanship. You're better off buying a property that is either 1) in an about to be very hot area or 2) something that needs renovation - hopefully that you can do with some sweat. That's your best plan to build equity vs. foreclosure.

This.  ZOMG, this. 

And Chili didn't even get into redemption... foreclosures are sources of (potential) income, not primary residences.  Unless you like living in purgatory for 12-18 months.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »
Speaking of, you may enjoy this- https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/12/19/msos-warner-grand-theatre-renovation-reveals-long.html

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks a ton for that, MUfan. Very interesting, and like you I am very curious to see what the finished product will be.

This gives me a jumping point to one of my favorite (and true) MU stories ...

I worked as an usher at the Grand as a freshman. Got paid something like $2.50 an hour; given how lazy I was, that's was probably too much - ha!

Anyhoo, one of our perks was that we could take home some popcorn at the end of the night. I'd get one of the long, rectangular boxes in which the popcorn cups were shipped, and I'd fill it with popcorn. It was a shyte-ton of popcorn! I very meticulously would put in a layer of popcorn and then drizzle on some of the fake-butter crapola (probably toxic chemicals), and then more popcorn, and then more toxic crap, etc.

I'd carry that bad boy on the bus with me, take it back to McCormick and give it to my floor-mates. A couple of the guys who got high pretty much every day would memorize my work schedule and would meet me at the elevator when I was arriving with the popcorn.

It was like a pavlov's dog thing -- elevator would "ding" and the salivating would start!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2018, 08:11:38 AM »

Sure dat wuzant da Princess Theatre, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2018, 09:06:30 AM »

Sure dat wuzant da Princess Theatre, hey?

Yes. Sure. Hey.

feedback