[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Downtown Milwaukee Living  (Read 8833 times)

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
Downtown Milwaukee Living
« on: December 12, 2018, 09:46:45 PM »
I’m curious if anyone here lives in downtown Milwaukee, what do you like and dislike about it? Being a single 28 yr old woman I feel like downtown living would be more enjoyable than Tosa where I currently rent. Ideally I’d like to live somewhere along the river downtown.

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: Downtown Milwaukee Living
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »
Other scoopers might have more recent input, but I rented for a summer during graduate school near Grand Ave mall about 7 years ago. I was surprised that downtown really emptied out after about 6:00 each night and often never really picked up on the weekend. I assumed that downtown would always "feel busy" but that wasn't typically the case.  I get the impression that places like the 3rd/5th wards or a bit north of downtown in the brady st-prospect areas might have a little more intentional feel about them - there might seem like there are fewer options for things to do, but those things may be more aimed to a residential (rather than specifically 9-5) crowd.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »
I’m curious if anyone here lives in downtown Milwaukee, what do you like and dislike about it? Being a single 28 yr old woman I feel like downtown living would be more enjoyable than Tosa where I currently rent. Ideally I’d like to live somewhere along the river downtown.

We own a condo along the river and love it. Can't beat the short walk anywhere during the summer.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »
I lived on Kenilworth near the intersection of Oakland and North for a couple years after law school. It was a good building (underground parking was a must), and the area was in walking distance of a bunch of restaurants and bars, though I went to more restaurants than bars.

It was a bit pricey, but was a lot of fun at the time. I'd recommend the area and it seems to be continually developing.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:27:22 AM »
I'd recommend the area and it seems to be continually developing.

I'd highlight this as a caveat to my post, too.  Even when I was there, there was a lot of redevelopment going on, so things probably look very different than when I was there (especially just to the north with the FF and that entire area really blowing up).

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »
Lower east side was great back in the day for kids your age. Dunno about now.

I recommend having both a house in the burbs and an apt in the city.

Minneapolis... downtown... while more vibrant than Milwaukee.. can also feel dead at night & certain weekends. Even the skyways aren’t super resident-friendly (eg, some don’t open until noon on Sundays... how can I get yo church or brunch?!?!)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »
When moving to the city the goal is alway to live as close to points east pub as possible
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
So there's two areas you should consider deltagurl; along the Water Street area near Brady and the 3rd Ward.  Both are very 'urban cool'.  The Upper and Lower East Side are still good options if you don't want to be right downtown.  Anyone who hasn't touched downtown Milwaukee in 5 years really can't have an informed opinion at this juncture.

I will tell you that our daughter (almost exactly your age) did the reverse and went to 'in town' Tosa after 4 years on the east side and loves it.  Frankly, that's the beauty of MKE.  She's still 15 minutes from her old haunts anytime she wants to go.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »
Lower east side was great back in the day for kids your age. Dunno about now.

I recommend having both a house in the burbs and an apt in the city.

Minneapolis... downtown... while more vibrant than Milwaukee.. can also feel dead at night & certain weekends. Even the skyways aren’t super resident-friendly (eg, some don’t open until noon on Sundays... how can I get yo church or brunch?!?!)

Agreed. I would check the hours of operation for the shops/fast-casual restaurants in the area you're looking. Most of the stuff in the Minneapolis skyway closes after the lunch hour on workdays and never opens on the weekends. Milwaukee feels a bit less focused on the 9-5 crowd though

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
I’d love to have a house in the country and apartment in the city, but as a first year Resident the income isn’t quite there yet!  :)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »
Before I moved to Chicago 8 years ago I lived in Bay View and loved it. It's still my favorite neighborhood I have I have ever lived in. I've lived on the Upper East Side near Lake Park / Downer & Marquette in Milwaukee and Bucktown, Logan Square and now Avondale in Chicago.

If I were to ever live in back in Milwaukee again it's where I would live no doubt.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:18:29 AM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
deltaforce

If looking to rent, I am big fan of the downtown Tosa area. My MIL lives in State Street Station and absolutely loves it. Done of folks from the medical complex living there. Great location and a ton of things within walking distance.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »
I’d love to have a house in the country and apartment in the city, but as a first year Resident the income isn’t quite there yet!  :)

So you're charged with a new and important responsibility around here deltagurl given your profession.  All wild arse speculation regarding health issues surrounding the players is now YOUR responsibility.  Your first assignment:  full diagnosis and definitive return date for Greg.  You've seen updated photos.  That should be enough.  Get on it!  And prescribe some Arby's while you're at it because we know it speeds recovery.

djvern414

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »
Live in the Third Ward

Ageless, 18-80
Bars/restaurants
Brunch everywhere
2 blocks to summer fest/festivals
HOP to jazz in park/Milwaukee streer/pick n save, 20 min walk to Fiserv
Right off highway for commute
Riverwalk
Right by lake

Dislikes:

Nothing. It's pricy, I suppose.
If you're still in party mode, Brady Street. Bayview super cool, vastly more affordable, but you can find something close to 1,000 if you're creative anywhere in MKE.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »
Am a 60ish something Scooper and am beginning to think about what to do when we downsize our suburban Chicago home for something more intimate. The issue is Milwaukee or Chicago. As I see it for us, here's the relative benefits:

Milwaukee -- Lower East Side/Prospect Avenue/Lakefront high rise
1) Has an younger/older crowd
2) Affordable
3) Easy to get around
4) Close to Third Ward, lakefront
5) Comparatively modest crime
6) Still close to Chicago
7) Easy to get to see early season Warrior games.

Chicago
1) Vibrant
2) Everything nearby
3) Outstanding lakefront
4) If still working, easy commute
5) Close to ORD and ways out of town
But:
6) Astronomical costs
7) Unstable local government with massive pension issues
8) Uncertain crime problems

This is a discussion in our home now. Not sure where it's going but cost of living will be a factor.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »

Furst of all, dis depends grately on yo specialty. Eye no sum peeple hoo no sum peeple. Nex, suprised PGY1 has any tyme ta fart around postin' on a cite like dis, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »
So there's two areas you should consider deltagurl; along the Water Street area near Brady and the 3rd Ward.

Second this. On Water, you're close enough to Brady and North to enjoy the area but far enough away to not have to deal with bartime nonsense.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »
Am a 60ish something Scooper and am beginning to think about what to do when we downsize our suburban Chicago home for something more intimate. The issue is Milwaukee or Chicago. As I see it for us, here's the relative benefits:

2) Affordable
3) Easy to get around

Chicago
1) Vibrant
2) Everything nearby
3) Outstanding lakefront
But:
6) Astronomical costs

This is a discussion in our home now. Not sure where it's going but cost of living will be a factor.

You don't think Milwaukee has the first 3 pluses you have for Chicago?

Run the numbers.  I am not sure that Milwaukee is more expensive to fly out of than O'Hare, but it is way less of a hassle.  And for the money you would save by living in Wisconsin, you could take a limo down to O'Hare when you needed to and still come out money ahead.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »

2) Affordable
3) Easy to get around

Chicago
1) Vibrant
2) Everything nearby
3) Outstanding lakefront
But:
6) Astronomical costs

You realize Milwaukee has more crime per capita right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 01:27:23 PM »

More reported crime, perhaps.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »

Yeah, but it's highly segregated.....literally and figuratively.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
Am a 60ish something Scooper and am beginning to think about what to do when we downsize our suburban Chicago home for something more intimate. The issue is Milwaukee or Chicago.

Milwaukee is so much less expensive than Chicago that it would seem to trump just about everything else for a person who insists that "cost of living will be a factor."

Furst of all, dis depends grately on yo specialty. Eye no sum peeple hoo no sum peeple. Nex, suprised PGY1 has any tyme ta fart around postin' on a cite like dis, hey?

Huh?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »
You don't think Milwaukee has the first 3 pluses you have for Chicago?

Run the numbers.  I am not sure that Milwaukee is more expensive to fly out of than O'Hare, but it is way less of a hassle.  And for the money you would save by living in Wisconsin, you could take a limo down to O'Hare when you needed to and still come out money ahead.

MKE is way less hassle from airport navigation standpoint but in terms of total transit experience its a wash at best....very view direct flights out of MKE to go anywhere interesting and a lot of traffic goes through O'Hare anyway and that flight gets cancelled all the time. When I travel, half the time I drive down to O'Hare (90 minutes door to security line) because I'd be going through O'Hare anyway. I love that I can get to my house to the gate at MKE in less than an hour(including security which is like 15 minutes these days) but the logistics our of MKE are a nightmare unless I'm going to a hub (Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Houston, etc).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »
Milwaukee is so much less expensive than Chicago that it would seem to trump just about everything else for a person who insists that "cost of living will be a factor."

MKE is way cheaper than Chicago and the convenience factor of lakefront and other fun stuff in Chicago is while not as varied or voluminous certainly as convenient in MKE.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 01:44:45 PM »
Yeah, but it's highly segregated.....literally and figuratively.

While true, that fact is also misleading when compared to many other metro's.  The way it is measured is affected more by where municipal and census borders are, rather than a true measurement.

Take a look here:   https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/

feedback