[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU recruiting stories to fill the break  (Read 13193 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Re: MU recruiting stories to fill the break
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2018, 06:09:18 PM »
Bo was half right, Ohio State was one of a couple of time where TC went Zero Dark Tommy and no one knew where he was.  Arkansas amazingly was another.  He whole staff was wondering where he would land.  Tommy went hard after a few gigs.

This. TC had basically stopped recruiting cause he wanted the OSU job. Amazingly, that summer we got the three amigos after losing Bobby Frasor.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2018, 06:18:53 PM »

Bill Mulligan had it all goin' on. J got to us from Waukegon via Saddleback

Al stashed players with Mulligan at Riverside and Saddleback.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »
Mulligan was big time. We got Artie from him as well.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »
Wes wasn't close with his dad growing up and his Mom and Bo didn't see eye to eye from what I recall so there wasn't really much to overcome.

I don't mean to pry, so feel free to not share if you don't want to, but what did Bo and Wes' mom not see eye to eye about?  On-court issue?  Role/playing time/style of play?  Off-court issue?  Academics/where to get a massage?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
I'd rather not get into it.....I doubt it was the overriding factor anyway......just that MU was not at a disadvantage when recruiting Wes as might be the case in other situations like this.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »
I'd rather not get into it.....I doubt it was the overriding factor anyway......just that MU was not at a disadvantage when recruiting Wes as might be the case in other situations like this.

That's fair. I respect your decision. Couldn't hurt to ask.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2018, 09:59:41 PM »
At one point during the recruitment Bo or one of his assistants.....can't remember which....told Wes that Crean was taking the Ohio State job.

He had TC in a bunch of jobs over the years.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:02:34 PM by MUfan12 »

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2018, 12:46:26 PM »
Part of Crean's on-campus pitch to Bobby Frasor was showing him a made-up room of what his apartment would look like. That's not that abnormal, but Crean had pictures hung up of Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen and other "sexy ladies" which Frasor thought was really weird. Not saying that's the reason he didn't commit, but it didn't help. All ended up working out in MU's favor though.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »
In 1978 Scooter McCray was all but signed, sealed and delivered to MU.  Rick Majerus popped in at the McCray home for a visit, and being on such good terms with the family, Mrs McCray sent Big Rick up to Scooter's bedroom.  Well, Rick walked right in and found Scooter choking the gopher.  Needless to say, things became awkward, Scooter couldn't look Rick in the eye and had a quick change of heart and committed to Louisville.  It was a huge shock to almost everyone when he chose not to come to Marquette.

Long story, short.  His younger brother Rodney joined him at U of L, and the 2 of them helped Pervis Ellison win the 1980 National Championship.

True Story!

that's animal cruelty, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »

Scooter's lucky Rick didn't drop a deuce write next ta Rosie Palm and her five friends, aina?

thinkin that would be a kinda of a buzz kill...double eyn'a?

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2018, 10:13:22 PM »
Part of Crean's on-campus pitch to Bobby Frasor was showing him a made-up room of what his apartment would look like. That's not that abnormal, but Crean had pictures hung up of Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen and other "sexy ladies" which Frasor thought was really weird. Not saying that's the reason he didn't commit, but it didn't help. All ended up working out in MU's favor though

Frasor’s Final three were NC, MU, and Stanford.  MU finished 3rd

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2018, 01:55:41 AM »
Recruiting is pretty strange, experience it first hand somewhat recently.

Back when Nader was being recruited by Marquette, one of MUs assistants at the time Aki Collins came to a practice to talk with him and see him workout. I was rarely at my dads practices but for whatever reason I was there that day and decided I made the decision that I was going to Marquette just a few weeks before.

My pops kinda mentions it in passing to Aki, and he goes "Oh maybe if things work out we can find you a mangers spot on the team." Careful not to make any promises but a healthy nudge to try and convince Nader to consider Marquette.

It was also really interesting because Nader did not have the ACT score and it was pretty much thought that he was going to end up at a prep school for a year. Didn't stop Northern Illinois from swooping in at the 11th hour though. Right before he committed everyone was telling him "Do not commit anywhere yet." Still to this day don't know what Northern offered him. Worked out in the end though.

This is also when I found out how big of a prick Steve Alford is. After he decomitted from New Mexico, Alford calls up the head coach from high school and goes on a rant something alonf the lines of "Eff him, I will eff up his entire career, he will never see another D1 offer so long as I'm around."

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2018, 05:22:21 AM »
I believe he showed up in a limo.  The four wheeler is what he almost flipped at Marquette Madness.

Haha no kidding thx
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2018, 09:48:10 AM »
This is also when I found out how big of a prick Steve Alford is. After he decomitted from New Mexico, Alford calls up the head coach from high school and goes on a rant something alonf the lines of "Eff him, I will eff up his entire career, he will never see another D1 offer so long as I'm around."
Sounds like he learned a lot from the General.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
Sounds like he learned a lot from the General.

except for the WINNING part.  the players had to know playin for bobby wasn't gonna be a walk in the park