[Today at 02:42:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:23:08 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Warhawk  (Read 3274 times)

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
Warhawk
« on: December 10, 2018, 01:06:59 PM »
Had opportunity to fly one of the great aircraft of all time - the P 40 Warhawk. Magnificent.

"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

manny31

• Starter
Re: Warhawk
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 07:22:10 PM »
Very cool.
Is there a difference between the Warhawk and the Tomahawk?
WW II fighter planes are a big reason I am literate, about the only thing I would read as a kid were books about WW II and planes like the P-40, 47, 38 and of course the p-51.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »
Weigh ta represent. Rock chalk Warkawk, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 07:43:51 PM »
Very cool.
WW II fighter planes are a big reason I am literate, about the only thing I would read as a kid were books about WW II and planes like the P-40, 47, 38 and of course the p-51.

World of Warplanes

Anyone play?  It’s pretty cool online gaming platform with mostly vintages WWII planes
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 10:28:27 PM »
I say we start a movement to change our name to the Marquette Warhawks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 02:04:00 AM »
Weigh ta represent. Rock chalk Warkawk, aina?

Hard to beat a Warkawk, Doc

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 02:13:33 AM »
Very cool.

Warhawk was flown by the USAAF while we sold the same variant to the Brits who called it the Tomahawk.

The P 40 was ubiquitous, especially in North Africa and CBI. It was mainly air-to-mud but a lot of guys became aces in the Warhawk.

theBabyDavid

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 06:52:39 AM »
Warhawk was flown by the USAAF while we sold the same variant to the Brits who called it the Tomahawk.

The P 40 was ubiquitous, especially in North Africa and CBI. It was mainly air-to-mud but a lot of guys became aces in the Warhawk.

Thanks, for everything.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 08:46:39 AM »
Well done, Crash.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »
War hawk or warthog, pick one Crash.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 01:25:49 PM »
I've been flying this baby quite a bit lately...

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 02:52:43 AM »
War hawk or warthog, pick one Crash.

No question: The Hog.

It's amazing to think that if the Brits had one squadron of Warthogs in 1940 there is no breakout at Sedan by Guderian. No Blitzkrieg. No Fall of France. No Battle of Britain. No Rommel in Afrika.

I marvel at how Air Power has changed in such a short period of time. My grandfather flew the Fe 2b in WW I. My father flew the F 4G then the F 15. In the span of one generation a man who wore silk scarves flying an open cockpit fighter watched as his son took an aircraft above 80,000'. At that altitude one sees the curvature of the earth as stars come out above the canopy at noon.   

If I have any regrets it is that space travel will become routine and I will not be there to participate. We are not that far off. I hope theBabyDavid has the urge to fly and can be one of those pushing the outer edge of the envelope beyond atmospheric flight.

In our grandparents' time, leaving the Old Country meant genuinely closing a chapter of one's life. On Monday, a colleague flew from Boston to Beijing. Non-stop.

I knew a Habu Driver based at Kadena AB. His job was to fly from Okinawa to UK, all the while taking images of Mother Russia. He told me he would have lunch in Okinawa then land the same day at RAF Lakenheath in time for breakfast.     
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:57:13 AM by theBabyDavid »

theBabyDavid

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
Waiting to board my plane yesterday in Minneapolis, flights were paused for a few minutes so a bunch of fighter jets could take off.  Heard loud noises while reading and thought nothing of it until I saw people standing at the window taking photos.  Looked like F-16's.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
Waiting to board my plane yesterday in Minneapolis, flights were paused for a few minutes so a bunch of fighter jets could take off.  Heard loud noises while reading and thought nothing of it until I saw people standing at the window taking photos.  Looked like F-16's.

If they were Electric Lawn Darts, it was probably 115th Fighter Wing out of Truax in Madison, did they have a red bar on the vertical stabilizer(tail)?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »
Thise jets took off at MSP around 1:20pm on Tuesday as well. Loud af
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 06:42:14 PM »
I think the MANG has C 130s.

The fast movers could be from anywhere. My guess is that one of the guys is from that area so they did an RON so he could see family. Less likely is that it was a cross country that stopped to get gas.

MN is an odd place to see Lawn Darts or Rhinos.

theBabyDavid

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 07:01:59 PM »
I think the MANG has C 130s.

The fast movers could be from anywhere. My guess is that one of the guys is from that area so they did an RON so he could see family. Less likely is that it was a cross country that stopped to get gas.

MN is an odd place to see Lawn Darts or Rhinos.

Yep that's why I assumed it was the 115th. And yes, MSP has the 934th airlift squadron which is slick 130s
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »
Yep that's why I assumed it was the 115th. And yes, MSP has the 934th airlift squadron which is slick 130s

I have tons of respect for the Guard guys. Lots of experience and doing it because they want to be there.

True story: In an AOC in the Sandox a Reg AF Capt is talking down to an ANG O-5 buddy of mine from Charlotte whose day job is flying Boeing aluminum for American.

My buddy Rabbi has over 4,000 Viper hours plus tons more flying for AA. Rabbi finally gets fed up with the condescension and asks the young Capt how many hours he has, total.

The Capt answers 600 some. Rabbu informs him that he has more time in the aft sh1tter in Seven Sixes than the kid has total time.

Guard guys have tons of experience and are willing to put their lives on hold to deploy for up to a year at a time. We couldn't fight the war without them.

I think the biggest mistake we made in Vietnam was not federalizing the Guard and calling up the reserves.

theBabyDavid

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 09:35:44 PM »
I have tons of respect for the Guard guys. Lots of experience and doing it because they want to be there.

True story: In an AOC in the Sandox a Reg AF Capt is talking down to an ANG O-5 buddy of mine from Charlotte whose day job is flying Boeing aluminum for American.

My buddy Rabbi has over 4,000 Viper hours plus tons more flying for AA. Rabbi finally gets fed up with the condescension and asks the young Capt how many hours he has, total.

The Capt answers 600 some. Rabbu informs him that he has more time in the aft sh1tter in Seven Sixes than the kid has total time.

Guard guys have tons of experience and are willing to put their lives on hold to deploy for up to a year at a time. We couldn't fight the war without them.

I think the biggest mistake we made in Vietnam was not federalizing the Guard and calling up the reserves.

I'm guessing the Reg AF Captain was a ring knocker to boot

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 01:32:31 AM »
I'm guessing the Reg AF Captain was a ring knocker to boot

Five by Five, Rhino. In the Pipe and Five by Five.

theBabyDavid

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
If they were Electric Lawn Darts, it was probably 115th Fighter Wing out of Truax in Madison, did they have a red bar on the vertical stabilizer(tail)?

They could have.  I ran to the window and saw the "flame cone" out of the back of the jet.  Was kind of mesmerized by that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
There is a small service drive, outside the fenced perimeter, on the north side of Truax just beyond the runway. 

Got lucky once, had the kids over there when they were little, to watch airplanes take off and land.  It was a flight day for the F16s.  4 takeoffs right over my car.  It was rocking.  Super cool experience.

My grandpa was a cilivilan mechanic and enlisted CMS in the ANG.  Joe Foss Field flew F16s, got to go out to the base with him a few times after he retired.  Sitting in an F16 cockpit at age 10 is about as good as it gets.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
There is a small service drive, outside the fenced perimeter, on the north side of Truax just beyond the runway. 

Got lucky once, had the kids over there when they were little, to watch airplanes take off and land.  It was a flight day for the F16s.  4 takeoffs right over my car.  It was rocking.  Super cool experience.

My grandpa was a cilivilan mechanic and enlisted CMS in the ANG.  Joe Foss Field flew F16s, got to go out to the base with him a few times after he retired.  Sitting in an F16 cockpit at age 10 is about as good as it gets.

A Chief Master Sergeant in any part of the USAf (Reg AF, AFRES, and ANG) is a big deal. Air Force Chiefs are the backbone of the service.

You should be proud of him. Tell him so. 

theBabyDavid

feedback