[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How Important Is This Season?  (Read 4476 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
How Important Is This Season?
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »
I'm a Northwestern football fan.  At the beginning of the year they opened their new $200 million practice facility.  Arguably it is the best facility in college football (until the next facility is built which is how the college sports arm race goes … a topic for another post).

NU followed-up this facility opening by making the Big 10 Championship game and the Holiday Bowl.  This is becoming a game changer for recruiting.  Now that are one of the best teams in the Big 10, with the best facility, and a young dynamic coach (Pat Fitzgerald).  This is getting them serious consideration from recruits that would not give them the time of day before … starting with the #2 HS ranked QB in the nation two years ago Hunter Johnson, who transferred from Clemson and will be eligible next year.

---------

I highlighted all this because I think the same story could be unfolding with MU.  Playing in the best basketball, and NBA, arena in the country (until the next one is built), having one of the better practice facility in the country (the AL was remodeled three years ago) and a young dynamic coach. So, if we stay a ranked most of this season, win or seriously competes for the Big East title, and wins at least a round or two in the Tournament (all looks doable now), does this become more than a good season, it becomes a game changing season?

Throw in they play in the Bucks arena, the home court of maybe the next MVP, and Milwaukee is becoming a serious basketball town.

Other than MU lays an egg or has a rash of injuries and performs poorly going forward, what is wrong with this argument?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:25:21 AM by Tower Tops »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
Re: How Important Is This Season?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »
The Holiday Bowl, like every other bowl not involved in the national playoffs, is a joke.

So there's the first thing wrong with your argument.

Seriously, it's an important season for our Warriors. But so was last season and the one before, and so will next season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »
The Holiday Bowl, like every other bowl not involved in the national playoffs, is a joke.

So there's the first thing wrong with your argument.

Seriously, it's an important season for our Warriors. But so was last season and the one before, and so will next season.

I did not say that NU was now competing for the national championship.  Rather, they are going to now be ranked every year because they are getting more four, and potentially five, star recruits (they have one with Johnson, and he is a QB!) NU should expect more trips to Indy and potential a New Year six bowl next, which they would have had this year if they did not sh!t the bed against Akron in September.

Like wise, I'm not arguing MU is going to have to clear space for another FF or NC banner.  But a repeat of 2011 to 2013 could up next, and could be starting this year!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:34:08 AM by Tower Tops »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
Yes, this season is huge. This is the roster Wojo has been patiently building. The fans need to see it pay off, recruits need to see the vision is coming to fruition. Agreed on the need to capitalize on the enthusiasm of the new stadium, opportunity to breed a new generation of fans

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »
The most important season is the next one right wades?  :D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »
I did not say that NU was now competing for the national championship.  Rather, they are going to now be ranked every year because they are getting more four, and potentially five, star recruits (they have one with Johnson, and he is a QB!) NU should expect more trips to Indy and potential a New Year six bowl next, which they would have had this year if they did not sh!t the bed against Akron in September.

Like wise, I'm not arguing MU is going to have to clear space for another FF or NC banner.  But a repeat of 2011 to 2013 could up next, and could be starting this year!

TT, I was joking (mostly) about the Holiday Bowl.

Yes, the season is important.

And I'll believe that Northwestern is about to become a long-term Big Ten powerhouse when I see it. They were on the verge under Gary Barnett, too, but didn't quite get there -- and that team even went to the Rose Bowl. I don't root for any college football team (except the one that plays Notre Dame every week), so I hope you get what you want from your Wildcats.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »
And I'll believe that Northwestern is about to become a long-term Big Ten powerhouse when I see it. They were on the verge under Gary Barnett, too, but didn't quite get there -- and that team even went to the Rose Bowl. I don't root for any college football team (except the one that plays Notre Dame every week), so I hope you get what you want from your Wildcats.

I think Northwestern faces a stern test establishing themselves at the top when you consider the resources Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska pour into their programs. They had a nice season, but long-term I'd bet on those five ahead of NU every time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

kclem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »
Another reason that this year's success is important is that next year we will be recruiting to replace Markus Howard, Sam Hauser, Sacar Anim, and Ed Morrow.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 10:32:29 AM »
Another reason that this year's success is important is that next year we will be recruiting to replace Markus Howard, Sam Hauser, Sacar Anim, and Ed Morrow.

While that's a rough class to replace we'll also have Joey, Bailey, Koby, John. Hopefully Elliott and Cain still as upper class men the following year. It'll be a step back but not a massive drop off.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
I think Northwestern faces a stern test establishing themselves at the top when you consider the resources Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska pour into their programs. They had a nice season, but long-term I'd bet on those five ahead of NU every time.

No, it is the opposite ...

NU has more resources than all of them.  They have the largest endowment in the Big 10 and they spent $200 MILLION to built a full indoor 100 yard practice facility on the lakefront.  It is the best practice facility in college football.

So the rest of them are worried that the sleeping giant in now awake and can, and is, outspending them. Add they have an established young coach that consistently has his teams finish higher than their recruiting classes.

FYI - this is the third year in a row NU was ranked, and they won their bowl game last year.  No, they are not going to compete for the NC ... but the losers are Nebraska and especially Wisconsin, they should get used to not being in Indy the first Saturday in December.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:40:58 AM by Tower Tops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
For now, I can see why a NW fan is excited but ...

There are few if any signs that Big 14 football will continue to be anything but Ohio State and Michigan at the top, with Penn State, Wisconsin and maybe another hopeful or two always trying to unseat the kings. Perhaps NW will be that "hopeful." If I were a NW fan, I'd say they will be.

But I'm not a NW fan, I'm an objective observer. That objectivity gives me an "advantage" over somebody like TT, who, like most fans, sees what he wants to see. The best I can do is, "I'll believe it when I see it."

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 10:57:26 AM »
Sorry, but why is there a discussion on Northwestern football on a Marquette basketball site? 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 11:11:10 AM »

NU has more resources than all of them.  They have the largest endowment in the Big 10 and they spent $200 MILLION to built a full indoor 100 yard practice facility on the lakefront.  It is the best practice facility in college football.

So the rest of them are worried that the sleeping giant in now awake and can, and is, outspending them. Add they have an established young coach that consistently has his teams finish higher than their recruiting classes.

FYI - this is the third year in a row NU was ranked, and they won their bowl game last year.  No, they are not going to compete for the NC ... but the losers are Nebraska and especially Wisconsin, they should get used to not being in Indy the first Saturday in December.
Northwestern has been trending up for a long time now. The school and donors are behind the program. You are correct the practice facility is a game changer.  It is extremely impressive. Football recruiting pipelines take a long time to build and Northwestern is just now starting to reap the benefits of their investments.

Basketball is a different sport than football and easier to rebuild, Recruiting cycle is shorter and change can happen quicker. This is an important year for MU in that it reestablishes  the position where the program was with Crean/Buzz. However, it is important that MU consistently follow through with strong performance year after year. That is the nature of being a non blue blood high major.  The asset base has been established at MU for many years, it is a matter of getting efficiency from the investment. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 11:28:33 AM »
Welcome back Heise.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
Welcome back Heise.
I was thinking the same.    And a little creeped out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 01:11:56 PM »

Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second. Maybe they have the largest endowment, but I imagine they have one of, if not the, smallest alumni bases. And it's not like they can put the entire endowment into athletics. If Ohio State or Michigan run a fundraiser for their athletics programs, they'll outraise Northwestern tenfold. If they're a sleeping giant, they're in bed next to DePaul.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second. Maybe they have the largest endowment, but I imagine they have one of, if not the, smallest alumni bases. And it's not like they can put the entire endowment into athletics. If Ohio State or Michigan run a fundraiser for their athletics programs, they'll outraise Northwestern tenfold. If they're a sleeping giant, they're in bed next to DePaul.

I am a graduate from MU and NU but I thought this blog is about MU basketball? Let's keep it focused on the topic this blog is about.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »
Welcome back Heise.

Was he banned, or just on hiatus?

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 01:25:56 PM »

The line about sleeping giant and DU might be one of the best comments of the year.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »
I am a graduate from MU and NU but I thought this blog is about MU basketball? Let's keep it focused on the topic this blog is about.

The line about sleeping giant and DU might be one of the best comments of the year.

That was the only reason I kept it going. Worth it to take a shot at DePaul 😄

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »
Its da tits, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »
Wasn't sure where else to go with this. With Gonzaga's loss, there are 9 undefeated teams left. Of those, two are on Marquette's schedule: Buffalo and St. John's. Buffalo will face a test at Syracuse before traveling to Milwaukee, while the Johnnies get Seton Hall on the road right before they play us. Both could still be unbeaten though when we see them. Would be nice to add those scalps to the Kansas State win.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 08:05:10 AM »

This isn't a blog, and feel free to talk about football, NU or Arby's.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 08:45:14 AM »
This isn't a blog, and feel free to talk about football, NU or Arby's.

Does Arby’s have a football team?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 08:54:55 AM »
I went to MU as an undergrad and NU as a grad student. While grad school is a different animal than being an undergrad in terms of having a pulse with the student body, it seemed that most NU students could care less about the athletics programs. NU has plenty of money and Fitz being an NU alum may be in it for the long haul.

Also, every season for MU is important, but this season we have the opportunity to take the Big East and make a statement to the Big East.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »
I went to MU as an undergrad and NU as a grad student. While grad school is a different animal than being an undergrad in terms of having a pulse with the student body, it seemed that most NU students could care less about the athletics programs. NU has plenty of money and Fitz being an NU alum may be in it for the long haul.

Also, every season for MU is important, but this season we have the opportunity to take the Big East and make a statement to the Big East.

As a guy who lived in Chicago for 16 years and who went to many Northwestern football and basketball games as a paid observer, I always felt Northwestern was a borderline non-entity on the Chicago sports scene.

It was Bears, Cubs, Bulls, White Sox, Notre Dame football, Blackhawks, Illinois basketball, DePaul (when they were good), golf, and then maybe Northwestern ... if there wasn't a great prep story like Garnett or Rose.

There were a couple of years there, under Barnett, where Northwestern football got some great headlines and hype -- and they certainly were higher on that list during those couple of years. But even then I felt they were more of a nice, national story -- Long Downtrodden NU Wildcats Burst Onto National Scene! -- than a team that dominated Chicago sports conversation. I felt there were thousands (probably tens of thousands, and maybe hundreds of thousands) more avid Notre Dame football fans than Northwestern fans, even when ND was struggling and NW was going to bowl games under the purple liar, Barnett. There were even empty seats at NW's quaint field for many years there.

I just have a hard time thinking Northwestern ever will challenge the Big 14 heavyweights for serious, long-term football dominance. But I don't blame NW fans for hoping otherwise.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
As a guy who lived in Chicago for 16 years and who went to many Northwestern football and basketball games as a paid observer, I always felt Northwestern was a borderline non-entity on the Chicago sports scene.

It was Bears, Cubs, Bulls, White Sox, Notre Dame football, Blackhawks, Illinois basketball, DePaul (when they were good), golf, and then maybe Northwestern ... if there wasn't a great prep story like Garnett or Rose.

There were a couple of years there, under Barnett, where Northwestern football got some great headlines and hype -- and they certainly were higher on that list during those couple of years. But even then I felt they were more of a nice, national story -- Long Downtrodden NU Wildcats Burst Onto National Scene! -- than a team that dominated Chicago sports conversation. I felt there were thousands (probably tens of thousands, and maybe hundreds of thousands) more avid Notre Dame football fans than Northwestern fans, even when ND was struggling and NW was going to bowl games under the purple liar, Barnett. There were even empty seats at NW's quaint field for many years there.

I just have a hard time thinking Northwestern ever will challenge the Big 14 heavyweights for serious, long-term football dominance. But I don't blame NW fans for hoping otherwise.
In your day everything you described was true. Things are steadily changing in Evanston for the better in all sports and there is starting to be a pulse.

Fitzgerald has the football program consistently in bowls, top half of the Big Ten  and in the top 25.  Basketball  has found its way out of the wilderness and has some positive vibes and a refurbished arena. In order for NU to challenge OSU  and Michigan  in football they have to move their program to be as highly regarded by recruits as Stanford ( mid size private school with high academics). I think that requires another 10 years or so of steady results. At that point there will be a 30 year history of a competitive program and the old image of NW will have faded away.

Basketball may have a harder road to travel . Big Ten Basketball is much more competitive than Big Ten Football so on a relative basis to the conference recruiting for NU basketball  is much more difficult. Then there are all the Big East schools which are the same size etc and can essentially sell the same story about playing time to recruits .I think the investment and commitment to athletics NW is making will help that program fight through.

Long Term I would like to see MU and NW have some kind of basketball series in place . I think it would be beneficial for  MU. Play the game during the week before conference season starts, instead of some random cupcake..   
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 02:25:06 PM »
Does Arby’s have a football team?
With that weird Gumby-like oven mitt thing roaming the sidelines as the mascot?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 06:19:48 PM »

It may have the largest endowment, but that doesn't necessarily translate into the largest football budget. According to this relatively recent article (https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/blogs/mike-carmin/2017/04/07/where-purdue-ranks-big-ten-football-revenue-expenses/100172108/), Northwestern spends far less than the traditional power schools in the conference on football. There's a reason why tOSU and Michigan are the traditional top two, and Penn State, UW@Madison, and Michigan State are typically in the running...and the reason is one the list.

A one-time capital expenditure like a practice facility is certainly an asset, but it takes consistent ongoing expenditures like coaches' salaries, recruiting budgets and the like to compete season after season. If NU climbs into the top five or so on this list regularly, then they might have a shot at top-tier status.

feedback