[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: End of game coaching  (Read 5845 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: End of game coaching
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 08:09:36 AM »
UW was making it tough for MU to inbound.  They actually have fairly decent length.  As I said, I will take that shot 10 times out of 10 - and Markus will generally hit it 8 out of those 10.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 08:10:49 AM »
One of the easiest things to do in CBB today because of the inconsistent refereeing allowing lots of holding and blocking during dead ball situations and because there are no Chris Paul's at this level is to defend the inbound pass for 5 seconds.  Because of this, you only call TO if you don't have the right guys on the court...  for example you need a 3 and don't have shooters because of a previous defensive sub... or you don't have rebounders and the strategy is to throw it up with 6 seconds and get the putback.  The issue here is that these are not in-game decisions.  These are practice issues - scenarios that are repeated over and over again so it's like instinct. 

Does Wojo come up with good plays after most TO's?  Yes.  Would I stop play if I had 2 Hausers + Marcus + Sacar on the floor?  Not a chance... get a 3 with 5-6 seconds and then crash the boards.

This.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
Didn’t like that he didn’t call time out to set something up but in reflecting about it Wojo showed a great amount of confidence in his team. Even though it didn’t work out this time it should show future dividends.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
In a home game against a rival, I 100% go with a shot in my best players hand that is going to leave no time left of the clock. Markus had a good look and I thought it was going in. Besides something like 70% of rebounds are defensive anyway so why take the risk of a silly over the back foul on the rebound or leaving 2-3 seconds for a heave and shot?

Generally in that game I wished Markus was looking more to distribute than create for himself because he was doubled in the lane a ton, but the last play in regulation was perfect for what a top 20 defense in Wisconsin was going to let us have.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 09:48:33 AM »
One of my favorite late game plays was Vander Blue’s layup to beat St Johns in OT—puts it up with about two seconds to play.  The shot bounced on the rim a few times before dropping, but almost simultaneously Jamil Wilson and Trent Lockett leapt on either side of the bucket ready to tip in while Davante is parked directly underneath in case it came off the front of the rim.  Absolutely beautiful play.

I won't disagree with this at all ... but there was major difference between this situation and the one on Saturday:

We were behind against Davidson. We NEEDED to give ourselves a chance at a tip-in had Vander missed. No basket there and the game -- and the season -- is kaput. In that situation, you go as quickly as you can and take the first good shot you can.

In a tie game, especially at home, I still say you want the ball to go in just as the buzzer sounds. Brew makes a decent case, but he and I (and others) disagree.

It would be interesting to talk to a panel of coaches we all respect and get their viewpoints, but I want the very worst-case scenario there to be OT on my home court.

And again, I had no problem with Wojo's strategy or the shot we got: a pretty darn good look for a proven scorer who has made similar shots dozens of times.

If you ask Markus to do something he's not great at -- such as drive, create and kick -- maybe he throws the ball out of bounds or travels or gets the ball stolen with 5 seconds left. And then, when F%cky scores the winner at the buzzer, we can really hear some Scoopers howl about what an idiot Wojo is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 09:52:07 AM »
In a home game against a rival, I 100% go with a shot in my best players hand that is going to leave no time left of the clock. Markus had a good look and I thought it was going in. Besides something like 70% of rebounds are defensive anyway so why take the risk of a silly over the back foul on the rebound or leaving 2-3 seconds for a heave and shot?

Generally in that game I wished Markus was looking more to distribute than create for himself because he was doubled in the lane a ton, but the last play in regulation was perfect for what a top 20 defense in Wisconsin was going to let us have.

For all the hero ball he tried, this was the right shot at the end of the game. I would have said in Markus' hands or Sacar's for a drive and floater. That's what happened.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »
I won't disagree with this at all ... but there was major difference between this situation and the one on Saturday:

We were behind against Davidson. We NEEDED to give ourselves a chance at a tip-in had Vander missed. No basket there and the game -- and the season -- is kaput. In that situation, you go as quickly as you can and take the first good shot you can.

In a tie game, especially at home, I still say you want the ball to go in just as the buzzer sounds. Brew makes a decent case, but he and I (and others) disagree.

It would be interesting to talk to a panel of coaches we all respect and get their viewpoints, but I want the very worst-case scenario there to be OT on my home court.

And again, I had no problem with Wojo's strategy or the shot we got: a pretty darn good look for a proven scorer who has made similar shots dozens of times.

If you ask Markus to do something he's not great at -- such as drive, create and kick -- maybe he throws the ball out of bounds or travels or gets the ball stolen with 5 seconds left. And then, when F%cky scores the winner at the buzzer, we can really hear some Scoopers howl about what an idiot Wojo is.

He wasn't talking about Blue's shot v. Davidson.  He was talking about the one earlier that year v. St. Johns that clinched the BE.  That was a tie game situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QygEB3AYu2g

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »

He wasn't talking about Blue's shot v. Davidson.  He was talking about the one earlier that year v. St. Johns that clinched the BE.  That was a tie game situation.

Oh shyte ...

I gotta work on my reading comprehension.

So on half of my post, anyway, I'll pull an Emily Litella!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 10:00:45 AM »
For all the hero ball he tried, this was the right shot at the end of the game. I would have said in Markus' hands or Sacar's for a drive and floater. That's what happened.

Yeah we had a debate on the Scrambled Eggs pod about Markus' hero ball (shameless plug: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=57181.0) I think Markus' hero ball in the game was not good, but I agree 100% called for at the end of the game. I trust him more than any other player to create a shot that gives us a chance and it's not close.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »
Oh shyte ...

I gotta work on my reading comprehension.

So on half of my post, anyway, I'll pull an Emily Litella!

No worries.  I realized that the Davidson play was when we were down one but included it anyway in my post since the two plays were so similar.  Very clear that they had practiced the timing of those plays many times.

I actually have very little problem with Howard's shot or Wojo letting them play in that situation--it was a good look and most of the time Marcus makes that shot.  I'm glad he pulled up instead of trying to drive all the way and get blocked at the rim.

Personally, I'd rather see him initiate his drive a second or two earlier to put the shot up with enough time for a put-back regardless of whether we are tied or not.  Morrow did a great job of getting position and grabbing the board, but didn't have time to put the shot back up.  It'll be interesting to see how they adjust to late game situations going forward.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
Yeah we had a debate on the Scrambled Eggs pod about Markus' hero ball (shameless plug: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=57181.0) I think Markus' hero ball in the game was not good, but I agree 100% called for at the end of the game. I trust him more than any other player to create a shot that gives us a chance and it's not close.
Agree, I'll take a 13-foot decent look from Markus in that situation every time.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.