'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Beating Bucky ugly  (Read 28150 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Beating Bucky ugly
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »
MU82

My expectations had them a bubble team. Aside from the last few wins, Wojo has surprised me a tad with guys playing time.  My expectations were based off Cain and Heldt playing more minutes this season. Wojo has played the better players and I like that. If he starts to play Morrow more minutes than John, I think the team will be better than I expected.
I think Theo is showing really solid growth, and if he continues he'll be a very good BEast starting center as an upper classman.  But it is also great being able to switch between the more experienced Morrow and Theo.  As well as Morrow played in the 2nd half, his 1st half was no bueno.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »
TSmith

Similar to my comments on Hekdt and Cain not playing much this year, I hope the same holds true for John next season. That means the program is taking steps in the right direction. Getting better players is the name of the game, and they have better players on this years team. Hope to see the trend continue.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »
Really good discussion here, but I kind of took the thread off-topic, so....the track/rails are back in sight...

Harold Baines elected to the Hall of Fame today. He of “Winning Ugly” White Sox fame.

When winning ugly involves us beating Bucky, can the outcome be anything but pretty? UW defends at a high level and excels at taking away what you do best. By definition, if you beat them, you’re probably doing it “ugly.” If you beat a Dick Bennett-coached UW team, well...you prolly just “won hideously”

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:03:16 PM by NorthernDancerColt »
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
TSmith

Similar to my comments on Hekdt and Cain not playing much this year, I hope the same holds true for John next season. That means the program is taking steps in the right direction. Getting better players is the name of the game, and they have better players on this years team. Hope to see the trend continue.
Fair enough.  Are we even pursuing a big, though?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2018, 01:04:45 PM »

Most are 2020s.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »
The hope is that Ike's back heals, I think. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »
The hope is that Ike's back heals, I think.
Even if it does, Ike is pretty much the definition of a project big I think.  With his (pre-injury) athleticism it makes sense to take a flyer on a guy like that, but with the expectations for the program I think you need to aim a lot higher.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
Have to agree with you, Goose. RIGHT NOW, no he’s not. However, Cain would be like the quintessential ‘80s ‘90s Cub who is traded (forced to transfer) and goes on to kill it with his new team. Hope he channels any anger and frustration into taking his game to another level RIGHT HERE. I think the defensive lapses have really hurt him re playing time, as one of the main reasons he and Greg were recruited was to help amp-up the D and exhibit toughness. Mental lapses on D can be fixed. Would hate to lose this guy...but think the transfer rumor is, if not ridiculous, totally premature.

Please stop. There is no rumor. There is one poster giving his un-informed/non-insider opinion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2018, 01:22:16 PM »
Even if it does, Ike is pretty much the definition of a project big I think.  With his (pre-injury) athleticism it makes sense to take a flyer on a guy like that, but with the expectations for the program I think you need to aim a lot higher.
Assuming he is healthy and everyone returns, Ike does not need to produce much next year.    In two years, he needs to produce. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2018, 01:26:21 PM »
Really good discussion here, but I kind of took the thread off-topic, so....the track/rails are back in sight...

Harold Baines elected to the Hall of Fame today. He of “Winning Ugly” White Sox fame.

When winning ugly involves us beating Bucky, can the outcome be anything but pretty? UW defends at a high level and excels at taking away what you do best. By definition, if you beat them, you’re probably doing it “ugly.” If you beat a Dick Bennett-coached UW team, well...you prolly just “won hideously”

Note to Jesmu...I DID stop. Just got scared by the (unsubstantiated) thought of an unhappy Jamal.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2018, 11:13:09 PM »
Wisconsin will have the best player on the court in just about every single game they play in, and quite often it will be by a pretty wide margin.  That goes a long, long way in college basketball.  I have very little doubt they end the season as one of the 20 best teams in college basketball.  Disciplined, well coached in terms of knowing they aren't going to outgun teams so they slow the game down, make you guard for 25+ seconds, and then make it very tough for you to score, and have one of, if not the, best players in college basketball.  It's really hard for college teams to be comfortable playing late in the shot clock.  Wisconsin is very comfortable there, and makes sure that both teams are consistently playing that game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2018, 11:15:35 PM »
The Badgers are not a very good team. If the last two Saturday's were against top 15 teams in the country, I will up my expectations for this team. That said, I want to watch a few more weeks to see how things shape up. At the moment, I am not not overly impressed with the teams ranked #12 in the country that have have visited MU.
NOTE---not a bash on Wojo or MU. They beat both teams and job well done.

Why is it whenever MU does something good, you downplay it? Every time.  The competition is bad, or we are lucky, always something.  Is there no joy?  Wisconsin is a top 20 team for a reason and will remain so throughout most of the season.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Goose

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2018, 01:23:52 AM »
WarriorDad
My post had zero to do with MU performance. It had to do with the two opponents noted. You obviously only read what you want to read. On numerous posts I have stated positives shown over the past couple of weeks.
Did you read my last line in the quote you noted? Did you read any other posts in this thread from me?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:21:16 AM by Goose »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2018, 08:00:17 AM »
I think Theo is showing really solid growth, and if he continues he'll be a very good BEast starting center as an upper classman.  But it is also great being able to switch between the more experienced Morrow and Theo.  As well as Morrow played in the 2nd half, his 1st half was no bueno.

Theo had a sweet block last year against the Badgers as well.
https://youtu.be/kvgOfL0bezM?t=112

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2018, 08:02:50 AM »
Wisconsin will have the best player on the court in just about every single game they play in, and quite often it will be by a pretty wide margin.  That goes a long, long way in college basketball.  I have very little doubt they end the season as one of the 20 best teams in college basketball.  Disciplined, well coached in terms of knowing they aren't going to outgun teams so they slow the game down, make you guard for 25+ seconds, and then make it very tough for you to score, and have one of, if not the, best players in college basketball.  It's really hard for college teams to be comfortable playing late in the shot clock.  Wisconsin is very comfortable there, and makes sure that both teams are consistently playing that game.
I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2018, 08:38:12 AM »
Marquette - Back to Back Super Bowl Champs!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2018, 08:38:52 AM »

Forgot that play.  Thank you.

Marquette - Back to Back Super Bowl Champs!!!

And boy does it feel good!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
Wow—Reuvers really filled out in just one year. Man he was a skinny frosh.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »
Yes it was! It comes right after the Maurice Lucas last second prayer that put Al on the scorer's table and the rest of us on the roof.  Ed Morrow's put back and block will be remembered a long time.

Glad you posted this! I said this same thing to a fellow 74 alum.  We both agreed had Marcus hit that shot at he end of regulation and we had a 16" snow storm outside it would have been exactly the same!

Pops Sims

• Walk-On
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2018, 03:10:41 PM »
Ah I did not know that, just saw a bunch of Badger fans whining about it. Assumed they did it cause it’s a “special” game. Shouldn’t have taken their word for it. Also I’ve seen that about 90% of them are defending Davison and saying it was unintentional, pretty pathetic

UW fan here. Davison should have been kicked out of the game. No place for that BS...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »
Agreed.   The question I have for Badger fans in general is this..... if the situation had been reversed and a few years earlier when so many Wisconsin fans were labeling MU players as thugs, and one of those 'thugs' had done the exact same thing to a Badger, what would your reaction have been?     Whatever the answer is, that should be your reaction to Davison.

Pops Sims

• Walk-On
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2018, 03:31:33 PM »
Agreed.   The question I have for Badger fans in general is this..... if the situation had been reversed and a few years earlier when so many Wisconsin fans were labeling MU players as thugs, and one of those 'thugs' had done the exact same thing to a Badger, what would your reaction have been?     Whatever the answer is, that should be your reaction to Davison.
Don't disagree with that. A number of years ago in Madison, Dominic James and Traevon Hughes got into it, right in front of where my son and I were sitting. Tempers get heated, things happen but what Davison did is a flagrant foul and is indefensible. My reaction would be the same whether it be a Marquette player or a player for any other team. Not sure how anyone could endorse what he did..   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2018, 04:59:52 PM »
UW fan here. Davison should have been kicked out of the game. No place for that BS...

Undercover Badger?

Hope I'm wrong here but not really feelin' it...hopefully Howard does his thing again and erases all doubt! 8-)

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2018, 12:09:33 AM »
WarriorDad
My post had zero to do with MU performance. It had to do with the two opponents noted. You obviously only read what you want to read. On numerous posts I have stated positives shown over the past couple of weeks.
Did you read my last line in the quote you noted? Did you read any other posts in this thread from me?

I'm trying to get over your opening line that the Badgers are not a very good team.   That seems to be a way of slapping down MU's accomplishment.

Wisconsin is top 20 in every major rating in the country.  When you say not very good, does that mean there are 5 good teams and 345 not very good teams?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Goose

• All American
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2018, 03:06:41 AM »
WarriorDad
The Badgers are not a very good team. They have one exceptional player and nothing else. If that is a slap at MU, you are looking to argue. How are things out in LA?

feedback