[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Worst/Best Christmas Songs?  (Read 38943 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Worst/Best Christmas Songs?
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2018, 02:11:03 PM »
Why is it those complaining about this song seem to not be as agitated about songs like Jump Around?

Fake News.  (With apologies to R.A.S.) I was adamant in calling on MU to remove it this year.  So far, I don't recall having hear Jump Around at any of the games so far this year, so unless my memory deceives, it would appear that I'm not alone on this hill.

To be clear, there is no illusion here that I was the cause - or even a factor - for the removal/hiatus, but I would be more than happy to take the blame.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
Well, if the "Date Raper's Society of America" has appropriated "Baby It's Cold Outside" as their theme song or anthem your analogy makes sense. Otherwise, not so much.

The fact it was appropriated is moot, the material component is that the swastika is symbolic of something with which no sane-minded individual should desire to associate.

Likewise, perhaps pressuring a woman to stay the night was normative behavior in the 1950's.  It isn't anymore.  Regardless of intention. 

So let's step aside from the song for a moment and look at a similar situation from a different perspective: a woman is over at a man's house.  Doesn't matter if the freakin' wind chill is 20 below zero, if the woman says she wants to leave (unless you live in rural Alaska) a real man gives her a warm coat and calls to make sure she got home OK.  Research paper, music lessons, coffee, dinner, cocktails, back rubs, foreplay, a best of five Hungry Hungry Hippos contest doesn't matter.... whatever has happened prior and leading up to that point is irrelevant.  She says she wants to go; he has no business standing in her way.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »
sort of depends on the illness but yeah I'd agree. That is a different argument entirely though and not christmas song related nor is it related to whether a rock star is attractive (which apparently this thread is about now)
If you insist threads stay on topic, the mods might as well shut down Scoop now.  However, I would contend it is very much related to whether a rock star is attractive.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2018, 03:02:06 PM »
The fact it was appropriated is moot, the material component is that the swastika is symbolic of something with which no sane-minded individual should desire to associate.

Likewise, perhaps pressuring a woman to stay the night was normative behavior in the 1950's.  It isn't anymore.  Regardless of intention. 

So let's step aside from the song for a moment and look at a similar situation from a different perspective: a woman is over at a man's house.  Doesn't matter if the freakin' wind chill is 20 below zero, if the woman says she wants to leave (unless you live in rural Alaska) a real man gives her a warm coat and calls to make sure she got home OK.  Research paper, music lessons, coffee, dinner, cocktails, back rubs, foreplay, a best of five Hungry Hungry Hippos contest doesn't matter.... whatever has happened prior and leading up to that point is irrelevant.  She says she wants to go; he has no business standing in her way.

This.

Keep in mind that this song is from the same era that spawned this advertisement, and no one gave it a second thought back then:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:57:24 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »
Fake News.  (With apologies to R.A.S.) I was adamant in calling on MU to remove it this year.  So far, I don't recall having hear Jump Around at any of the games so far this year, so unless my memory deceives, it would appear that I'm not alone on this hill.

To be clear, there is no illusion here that I was the cause - or even a factor - for the removal/hiatus, but I would be more than happy to take the blame.

They played Jump Around after MU won the game against Wisconsin.....not sure how I feel about it, cause it seems like a pretty fun troll :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »
Favorite: Oh Holy Night (4 part choral arrangement)

Worst: I don't remember the title, but the plot is a guy goes back to his small town home for Christmas,  he runs into his HS ex at the grocery store,  and they end up splitting a 6 pack in his car while reminiscing about old times.

Pet peeve: People singing Silent Night at the top of their lungs.  It's supposed to be a  lullaby.

Baby It's Cold Outside:

First, I never understood why it's considered a holiday song.  There is zero reference Christmas.  We know it's winter in a cold weather city, presumably New York City.   It could be February for all we know.

As for the lyrics, the song illustrates a woman with no ability to make her own choice about sex.  She can't say yes, or else her friends,  family, and neighbors will shame her.  But saying no is not respected by the male.  The woman is basically powerless in the decision making process,  and feels great conflict over what she should do.  It's not about whether or not she wants to have sex.  It's about weighing societal guilt versus the unrelenting advances of the man in the room.

Meanwhile,  the man has no concern for the woman.  He's only concerned with his own sexual desires, and decides to keep giving her drinks until she relents.  He repeatedly prevents her from leaving, and the woman has no way of knowing if an attempt to leave will suddenly turn into a physically violent assault.  So once again, the woman feels trapped  and powerless to make a decision.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2018, 04:20:11 PM »
Worst: I don't remember the title, but the plot is a guy goes back to his small town home for Christmas,  he runs into his HS ex at the grocery store,  and they end up splitting a 6 pack in his car while reminiscing about old times.

"Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Folgelburg. Not really a Christmas song though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »

Yes, that's it!  Probably why I hate it, too.  The song happens on Christmas Eve but has nothing to do with Christmas.  Yet the all Christmas radio station plays it a ton.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »

Yes, it is.  The story is set on Christmas Eve.  And it's Fogelberg.

Jinx!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2018, 04:55:31 PM »
A bunch of you cats must hate Smoove B too, aina?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »
Geez, can't we just hear it for the playful song it is?  But if we have to ban it, then please ban every rap song or country song having to do with rape/wife beating, misogyny, etc.   Personally, I think people should just turn it off if the song offends them, but that's me.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »
Geez, can't we just hear it for the playful song it is?  But if we have to ban it, then please ban every rap song or country song having to do with rape/wife beating, misogyny, etc.   Personally, I think people should just turn it off if the song offends them, but that's me.

Reductio ad absurdum.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
Worst Christmas song: Anti LGBTQ favorite "Deck the Halls", shocking in its bigotry. "Gay apparel"? Really? Literally disgusting.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »
Worst Christmas song: Anti LGBTQ favorite "Deck the Halls", shocking in its bigotry. "Gay apparel"? Really? Literally disgusting.

Why would it be ant-iLGBTQ?  It is talking about donning gay apparel.

I assume you know that actually means putting it on.  What is anti-LGBTQ about that?
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2018, 10:23:42 PM »
Why would it be ant-iLGBTQ?  It is talking about donning gay apparel.

I assume you know that actually means putting it on.  What is anti-LGBTQ about that?

???? "Gay" apparel is to be distinguished from "straight" apparel? And we only don it when decking the halls and falalalling? I thought as a member of a class that is routinely marginalized you would be more sensitive. Hurtful.

And yes, I know that don means "putting something on". Are you acquainted with the phrase "putting someone on"?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
This:

And this:

Baby It's Cold Outside:

As for the lyrics, the song illustrates a woman with no ability to make her own choice about sex.  She can't say yes, or else her friends,  family, and neighbors will shame her.  But saying no is not respected by the male.  The woman is basically powerless in the decision making process,  and feels great conflict over what she should do.  It's not about whether or not she wants to have sex.  It's about weighing societal guilt versus the unrelenting advances of the man in the room.

Meanwhile,  the man has no concern for the woman.  He's only concerned with his own sexual desires, and decides to keep giving her drinks until she relents.  He repeatedly prevents her from leaving, and the woman has no way of knowing if an attempt to leave will suddenly turn into a physically violent assault.  So once again, the woman feels trapped  and powerless to make a decision.

The only defense of the song is trying to justify one's own youthful behavior to say "date rape is okay" when clearly what society once turned a blind eye to is no longer acceptable. And there it is...

[flash=200,200]
In college we made drinks that tasted great, you couldn't tell much alcohol was in it, but that didn't mean some drug was in there.  Girls and guys would get drunk drinking the punch, which tasted like punch but didn't have a date rape drug in it.

When you look around society and realize your youthful behavior would no longer be acceptable, that doesn't mean you should justify it, it means society is moving on and you can either get on board or be left behind. We all did things in our youth that would be seen in a different light today. And that's okay. But not realizing that the times are still and always will be a-changing, that's not.

This isn't some PC culture. It's about women having agency and control over their own bodies. It's about not forcing them into sex, whether by physical, chemical, or coercive means.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2018, 09:22:33 AM »
ant-iLGBTQ? 

Damn AAPL.   Putting a lower-case "i" in front of a noun was one thing, now they're doing it to acronyms?!?  I get it that they're very forward thinking, but methinks they took it a bit too far this time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2018, 10:26:14 AM »
Instead of just reading the words to the song and applying one's own context I suggest you actually watch the duet being performed. Different (archaic, I'll grant you) "rules" about the man's and woman's roles (I'll be the first to celebrate those changing) but given those parameters I don't ever see even a hint of a woman in danger. On the contrary, she seems very much in charge.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
Instead of just reading the words to the song and applying one's own context I suggest you actually watch the duet being performed.

Damn YouTube copyright rules police musta censored the video, so all y'all have to settle for a video of the audio. .

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NauVZ8agPBY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NauVZ8agPBY</a>

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
(Partially tongue in cheek).....is Santa Baby the opposite of Baby, It's Cold Outside? Woman is using her full agency to extract stuff from Santa.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
(Partially tongue in cheek).....is Santa Baby the opposite of Baby, It's Cold Outside? Woman is using her full agency to extract stuff from Santa.

Same ting wich Mommy Kissin Santa Claus.

That fat f%ck gets a lot of action.  Plus he's got the old lady back waiting for the north pole, aina.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2018, 11:47:53 AM »

Extraction is the opposite of insertion.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
Same ting wich Mommy Kissin Santa Claus.

That fat f%ck gets a lot of action.  Plus he's got the old lady back waiting for the north pole, aina.

You get it, I think Eng gets it too. There were plenty of predators around in the 1940s. Plenty around today. When the snowflakes turn something innocent into something horrific they just give the real bad guys cover. But  self congratulatory outrage feels so good they can't resist.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »
You get it, I think Eng gets it too. There were plenty of predators around in the 1940s. Plenty around today. When the snowflakes turn something innocent into something horrific they just give the real bad guys cover. But  self congratulatory outrage feels so good they can't resist.

Oh I get it, Baby It's Cold Outside is an offensive song to some and can be a trigger for others who suffered some form of assault. If you want to listen to it that's cool, if you don't that's cool too. I'm never for "banning" something but I'm fine if private entities like radio stations decide they don't want to play it because they are making a business decision.

It's innocent in your life experience, which I'm fine with as well.

At the end of the day it's just something everyone wants to fight about because the "outrage culture" is alive and well on both sides of the political spectrum.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2018, 02:10:37 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CJB9GP5gyAw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CJB9GP5gyAw</a>

That is awesome.  My aunt and sister sent this to me this morning.  Good stuff.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback