[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another millennial thread...  (Read 27327 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Another millennial thread...
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2019, 11:23:41 AM »
If things are so much better now, why do we need to make America great again?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »

Great America is still going strong, but overall, it has been on something of a decline.  I blame Wisconsin Dells.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2019, 12:15:47 PM »
Things aren't better or worse, they're different.

We had less stuff/technology in our youth, for sure.  I don't know if that's a bad thing.  I think kids today are able to do amazing things because of the technology, but have lost some ability to meaningfully connect with other people, which may make them less happy in the long run.  When we were young, you had to seek out other people, and you were more accepting of other people, because you needed other people just to not be bored out of your mind, if nothing else.  I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people who really dislike each other on this board would be very friendly with each other if they had met and talked and argued like we did a long time ago. 

The millennials face challenges, just like we did, they're just different challenges.  Whether they're better or worse depends on your POV.  I think if you dropped millennials into a time machine and forced them to live like we did 40-50 years ago they would not think it was better at all.  I also think if you pushed our 18 year old selves suddenly 40-50 years ahead we wouldn't like it much, either. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2019, 12:44:53 PM »
I don't disdain any generation.  I'm saying Millenials, Gen Z, have it much better than we did.  I'm not one to go back and say how great life was back in my day.  If anything, I wish I was starting out 25 years ago, or today.  The complaining about how bad it is, you don't know what you are talking about because you didn't live back then. How can someone that has lived the last 65 to 70 years not have a better grasp of those 65 to 70 years than someone who has only lived half that time?  Let's use common sense.  Yes, I am lumping Gen Z along with Millenials and others.  You do not have any idea how much better you have it.

Crime
Economy
Technology
Environment
Opportunities
Travel
Disease prevention
Healthcare improvements
No draft or wars killing or maiming our citizens with massive casualties

The list is endless.  No disdain, but have some awareness of how great you have it.  Want to know why my generation and generations older than mine shake our heads at some of the comments coming out of those that came after?  It is because we have lived life, we have experiences you don't have, and we shake our heads at how good you have it and don't realize.  No patience.  Constant whinging and blaming.  Suck it up, we'll be dead soon enough and you can unnatural carnal knowledge over the country as you accused us of doing and then the next generation that has it even better can tell you how evil you were.

Although I agree with a lot of what you've said here, I've got to disagree on the economy/opportunities part. Post-WWII, we and others had thoroughly decimated many competing industrial economies, Europe was in shambles, and when the rules were rewritten we had basically ensured a couple of booming decades for US manufacturing and jobs. That wasn't because people generally were better then, smarter, worked harder, or anything like that (though this is still what we hear today - the generation now doesn't know how to work hard and support their family).

One was blessed to be born in or around that time frame. You could get a job doing menial manufacturing work and support an entire family, plus receive a pension. You didn't necessarily need an education or knowledge to support an entire family. While this can still happen today, it's more of something that might be a feel good story on the news or a movie, as opposed to something that defined a generation.

One could work at McDonald's (or the like) over a short summer break and pay for an entire year's worth of tuition. I still hear this from that generation today, kids just don't want to work to pay for it. Find me a summer job that pays $60+ per hour and is easily gotten. I don't know many. You couldn't even earn enough at McDonald's over a year of full time work to pay the cost of tuition alone, let alone all the other expenses...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »

They aren't better now, we should make them better.  :)   If they were great, wouldn't you still want to make them better if you could?  Progress, baby, progress.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »
I don't disdain any generation.  I'm saying Millenials, Gen Z, have it much better than we did.  I'm not one to go back and say how great life was back in my day.  If anything, I wish I was starting out 25 years ago, or today.  The complaining about how bad it is, you don't know what you are talking about because you didn't live back then. How can someone that has lived the last 65 to 70 years not have a better grasp of those 65 to 70 years than someone who has only lived half that time?  Let's use common sense.  Yes, I am lumping Gen Z along with Millenials and others.  You do not have any idea how much better you have it.

Crime
Economy
Technology
Environment
Opportunities
Travel
Disease prevention
Healthcare improvements
No draft or wars killing or maiming our citizens with massive casualties

The list is endless.  No disdain, but have some awareness of how great you have it.  Want to know why my generation and generations older than mine shake our heads at some of the comments coming out of those that came after?  It is because we have lived life, we have experiences you don't have, and we shake our heads at how good you have it and don't realize.  No patience.  Constant whinging and blaming.  Suck it up, we'll be dead soon enough and you can unnatural carnal knowledge over the country as you accused us of doing and then the next generation that has it even better can tell you how evil you were.

Define the age group you are talking about.  Others have a point in that you may be defining people other than millenials.  However, even the definition of what a millenial is changes depending on whom you talk to.

Just today there is an article about millenials and debt.  CNBC says a millenial is age 18 to 37.   Link below.  Meaning kids born in 2000 and beyond.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/08/1-in-5-millennials-with-debt-expect-to-die-without-ever-paying-it-off.html

If using that definition, you may be right as certainly 18 year olds have been swiping their existence for more than half of their life.   Other sources say 1995 is the cutoff.   http://www.millennialmarketing.com/2018/03/the-birth-years-of-millennials-and-generation-z/

This may be causing some of the arguing back and forth because not everyone is aligned on what a definition is.  Born in 1995 vs 2000 is actually a HUGE difference technologically and the life these people have experienced.  In 1994-95, Katie Couric was asking what the Internet was.  By 2000 it was already well underway.  If you were born in '95, the iPhone launched when you were 12, but you were only 7 if you were born in 2000.  The timing and definitions matter.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2019, 05:24:18 PM »
They aren't better now, we should make them better.  :)   If they were great, wouldn't you still want to make them better if you could?  Progress, baby, progress.

You sound like one of those never satisfied reformists.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2019, 06:04:03 PM »

That's not what I've been told ad nauseam in this thread.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2019, 09:01:17 PM »
That's not what I've been told ad nauseam in this thread.

Different people have different points of view, right?  Aren't there a bunch of folks here saying our parents (boomers) had it great and ruined it for you guys? I'm a Gen X, don't fit into any of these categories.

Personally, I miss the days of not locking the doors at night, knowing my neighbors, listening to Randy Newman's Short People Got No Reason to live and not losing my crap like people would today, Don Martin's book of jokes, MAD magazine, New Years Day for football, the NBA short shorts and travels were called, hockey had great fights, Atari 2600, hand held Mattel electronic football, staying out until 10:00pm and parents wouldn't dream of calling the cops because nothing wrong was happening.

Yes yes, please don't bother with all of the bad injustices. So stipulated.   There were plenty.  I was lucky, lived a great childhood.
 We're all a product of how we grew up and our life's experiences.  There were also so great things back then.  Times change. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »
Millennials are awful. All of them should be shot by the guns they think should be controlled. Would serve 'em right. They've had it so easy, they'd probably even die easy. Losers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
You sound like one of those never satisfied reformists.

Yup, once an activist always an activist. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
Millennials are awful. All of them should be shot by the guns they think should be controlled. Would serve 'em right. They've had it so easy, they'd probably even die easy. Losers.

I'll keep looking here for even Elizabeth Warren Native American levels of ancestry to be correct in you statement.  So far I come up with 0% of what you said was said here, which means Warren by a smidge.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »
Define the age group you are talking about.  Others have a point in that you may be defining people other than millenials.  However, even the definition of what a millenial is changes depending on whom you talk to.

Just today there is an article about millenials and debt.  CNBC says a millenial is age 18 to 37.   Link below.  Meaning kids born in 2000 and beyond.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/08/1-in-5-millennials-with-debt-expect-to-die-without-ever-paying-it-off.html

If using that definition, you may be right as certainly 18 year olds have been swiping their existence for more than half of their life.   Other sources say 1995 is the cutoff.   http://www.millennialmarketing.com/2018/03/the-birth-years-of-millennials-and-generation-z/

This may be causing some of the arguing back and forth because not everyone is aligned on what a definition is.  Born in 1995 vs 2000 is actually a HUGE difference technologically and the life these people have experienced.  In 1994-95, Katie Couric was asking what the Internet was.  By 2000 it was already well underway.  If you were born in '95, the iPhone launched when you were 12, but you were only 7 if you were born in 2000.  The timing and definitions matter.

Extending it to 2000 is ridiculous. There is nothing in common between a 19yr old today, a person who was 19 in 2009 and a person who was 19 in 1999. Heck I'd argue the 19yr old in 09 may have more in common with the one from 99
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2019, 11:32:38 PM »
I'll keep looking here for even Elizabeth Warren Native American levels of ancestry to be correct in you statement.  So far I come up with 0% of what you said was said here, which means Warren by a smidge.

Huh? Why are you bringing up politics here? I didn't. Must be that mature, non-Millennial brain of yours working overtime.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2019, 01:41:51 PM »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2019, 04:48:29 PM »
Extending it to 2000 is ridiculous. There is nothing in common between a 19yr old today, a person who was 19 in 2009 and a person who was 19 in 1999. Heck I'd argue the 19yr old in 09 may have more in common with the one from 99

Strongly disagree. The challenges of the young are similar across generations. You've finished college, you're getting married, you're starting a career and you are building a life for yourself. You get frustrated because throse old folks in the way don't see things the way you do.

Young folks are bombarded with options and face the same challenges across generations. What's best? What's right and wrong? How do I fit? There are certain positive moral values (channeling my inner Dr. Beach here) that transcend generations. The situations certainly are different. The ethics, morality and challenges facing people are not.

"Don't trust anyone over 30?" That's certainly not new!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »
Strongly disagree. The challenges of the young are similar across generations. You've finished college, you're getting married, you're starting a career and you are building a life for yourself. You get frustrated because throse old folks in the way don't see things the way you do.

Young folks are bombarded with options and face the same challenges across generations. What's best? What's right and wrong? How do I fit? There are certain positive moral values (channeling my inner Dr. Beach here) that transcend generations. The situations certainly are different. The ethics, morality and challenges facing people are not.

In that context sure, but that was not what I was referring to. Pointing more towards similar childhood experiences, due to technology, freedom parents gave their kids, etc.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2019, 10:21:40 AM »

This is a great question.  Here I have been told the wrong generation has been included, but the definitions you gave show that may not the case.   My youngest is 20, my oldest in their 30's.  According to some of these definitions, what I have said fit.  That may be the problem, we are not all using the same definitions to define these generations.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »

As a father of a 20 year old and a father of another in their late 20's and one in their early 30's, that statement you made is not true.  NOTHING IN COMMON?  Wholly untrue, especially if they grew up in the same household.  They may not have much in common or in some cases nothing, but that isn't going to be true in every case.  Blanket statement not correct.

Earlier one of your messages said crime may not be better because you grew up in an area where someone what shot.  I am speaking of averages, and crime is down on average across this country.  You seem to be making the error of extrapolating your experience and saying it applies to all. 
— Plato

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2019, 10:51:56 AM »
A general note. The current youngest generation (Generation Z) is sometimes referred to as the "Delta Generation," as they have been part of constant change. Some in this generation indicate they cannot remember a time of stability.

They've witnessed, 9/11, endless wars, the Great Recession, and now the most combative and unstable political system in a long long time.

Their parents have lost jobs, lost homes, been sent overseas to fight endless wars, etc. All while having to face global environmental catastrophes that are supposed to come to a head in their lifetime.

To say these people have had it easy is ignorant or reality. Maybe it is because many on these boards come from lives of privilege, that they do not have a clue what life is like for the majority of Americans.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2019, 11:01:56 AM »

This is sound from my experience.  You and I are probably in a similar age group.  The opportunities right now are amazing for people.  Social media is one area that I believe causes younger people to feel like the world is on fire, and it isn't.  24 hours a day, bombarding your brain with stuff may not be a good deal.  World news events, skirmishes, natural disasters have always happened, but now they are delivered to people in minutes or seconds, often straight from the source without vetting by media.  That's the one area that I believe can have a corrupting influence on younger people today. Group think is the worst I have ever seen in my life. Tribal.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »
A general note. The current youngest generation (Generation Z) is sometimes referred to as the "Delta Generation," as they have been part of constant change. Some in this generation indicate they cannot remember a time of stability.

They've witnessed, 9/11, endless wars, the Great Recession, and now the most combative and unstable political system in a long long time.

Their parents have lost jobs, lost homes, been sent overseas to fight endless wars, etc. All while having to face global environmental catastrophes that are supposed to come to a head in their lifetime.

To say these people have had it easy is ignorant or reality. Maybe it is because many on these boards come from lives of privilege, that they do not have a clue what life is like for the majority of Americans.

Your point is well taken, but I'm not sure where people are saying they have it easy.  Not to my reading.  Easier, doesn't mean easy.
 More opportunities, better crime stats, better environment, doesn't mean easy.  Life is hard.

There were endless wars in my day where Americans lost lives at an alarming rate, we had the draft.  Nothing like today's endless wars.  The news doesn't even cover these endless wars with rare exception when some Americans are killed, which isn't often.

Unemployment during the great recession never hit what it was in the early 1980's here.  1960's politics was incredibly unstable with riots.  We had a president resign in the 1970's.  We had a bunch of students hold the USA hostage at the end of the 1970's in Iran. Each generation goes through these things.  The difference is the informational bombardment of today, the availability in pictures and video, that didn't exist in the past.

— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2019, 05:09:53 PM »
Boy is cubbiechicos ever working OT to keep repeating versions of his generalizations over and over and over again.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2019, 06:03:57 PM »
Boy is cubbiechicos ever working OT to keep repeating versions of his generalizations over and over and over again.

CubbieChicos?  Is this a new one?

Living rent free in Miguel’s head (with Erin) for all these years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »
CubbieChicos?  Is this a new one?

It's WarriorDad. Or you.

feedback