[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Candidates for the job  (Read 12300 times)

muballbuster

• Walk-On
Re: Candidates for the job
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2018, 07:51:05 AM »
Archie Miller "It's Marquette, It's Marquette"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »
I think once Greg comes back we'll hit our stride in conference season, and all of this will be moot.

However, if that does't happen, the top of my list would be Nate Oats at Buffalo. Plays a tough-minded Buzz-esque style and he's from Wisconsin.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2018, 04:29:04 PM »
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »
Wojo is not going anywhere but I don't know why he never hired a seasoned veteran assistant coach.  Buzz did it and grew as a coach. 

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2018, 05:38:22 PM »
I think once Greg comes back we'll hit our stride in conference season, and all of this will be moot.

However, if that does't happen, the top of my list would be Nate Oats at Buffalo. Plays a tough-minded Buzz-esque style and he's from Wisconsin.

A successful wisconsinite.  That sounds intriguing.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2018, 05:39:37 PM »
Wojo is not going anywhere but I don't know why he never hired a seasoned veteran assistant coach.  Buzz did it and grew as a coach.
Wojo had Mark Phelps for the first year or two and has had Rob Judson on staff this year and last year.   Both seasoned HCs.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »
I think Stan would make a good coach.

Aristotle? King of the philosophers on Twitter?  The guy who has missed out on his last 3 fall recruiting targets (Tillman, Grimes, Mannion)? Never been a head coach? Pass.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:13:16 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2018, 07:11:25 PM »
Micah Shrewsberry
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »
Aristotle? King of the philosophers on Twitter?  The guy who has missed out on his last 3 fall recruiting targets (Tillman, Grimes, Mannion)? Never been a head coach? Pass.

Wojo took lead on Tillman.  Getting in Final 3/2 of Grimes and Mannion a major accomplishment by Stan - considering Wojo has yet to prove he can win.

You can thank Stan for:  Markus, Koby, Bailey, Greg, Jamal, Sacar, Theo.  Stan's gotten it done on the recruiting trail.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »
Wojo took lead on Tillman.  Getting in Final 3/2 of Grimes and Mannion a major accomplishment by Stan - considering Wojo has yet to prove he can win.

You can thank Stan for:  Markus, Koby, Bailey, Greg, Jamal, Sacar, Theo.  Stan's gotten it done on the recruiting trail.

Definitely the first 3. Dont think Stan worked nearly as much on the latter 5. Wojo worked Michigan himself (Elliott, Cain, Tillman). He also worked on MN for Sacar and Theo.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2018, 10:22:30 PM »

You will not land a Grimes and a Mannion until you can prove you can run with the Big Dogs.

This past week has proven why Grimes and Mannion went elsewhere. We're not the big dog -- at least not yet. If we want these types of players, we're going to have to prove we can win big games. When we do, call me. We've won exactly one since Wojo came here -- Villanova two years ago.

Pardon me for being cynical, but winning begets winners.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »
Wardle & Otzelberger would also be on my list.
If he's replaced at the end of this year, it will be Otz. They've been slowly moving on this for the last 18 months as a fallback.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2018, 11:16:41 PM »
Lets be honest.  Wojo is not going anywhere with this team.  Are there any good options on the horizon for his seat?   

Decent recruiter. Soft. Cant motivate his squad.  Cant make adjustments.  Its time for a change

John Glazer for coach
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2018, 11:23:44 PM »

Great job by Stan recruiting Sacar to Marquette, even though Stan wasn't even on the staff at the time!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2018, 11:28:06 PM »

Sacar wasn't recruited by Stan, because he wasn't on the staff yet.  You may want to read up on some of the players who discuss Wojo's influence in recruiting them and ultimately committing.  It's a team recruiting approach, not a Wojo only, not Stan only. 
— Plato

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2018, 07:29:30 AM »
If he's replaced at the end of this year, it will be Otz. They've been slowly moving on this for the last 18 months as a fallback.

I hope this is true.  Otz is everything Wojo wasn’t as a candidate.  He’s recruited at a couple different schools under a few different coaches (Hoiberg, McDermott, and Romar) and has chosen to get his feet wet at a mid major to develop his coaching chops and show what he can do when he runs a program.  I’d be excited if he was our coach, I think he’ll be a star.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
I hope this is true.  Otz is everything Wojo wasn’t as a candidate.  He’s recruited at a couple different schools under a few different coaches (Hoiberg, McDermott, and Romar) and has chosen to get his feet wet at a mid major to develop his coaching chops and show what he can do when he runs a program.  I’d be excited if he was our coach, I think he’ll be a star.

Was he the one who had the pipeline from MU to ISU? Christopherson, Burton, McKay?

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2018, 10:22:26 AM »
Just a bit premature

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2018, 11:59:46 AM »

Agree Otzelberger has background of top assistant at a good program and then success in short time of taking over his own program.  He seems clearly ready for a move up.  We'll need to move quick if we want him though, he'll get plucked out of SD St. very soon, probably after this year I bet.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
Agree Otzelberger has background of top assistant at a good program and then success in short time of taking over his own program.  He seems clearly ready for a move up.  We'll need to move quick if we want him though, he'll get plucked out of SD St. very soon, probably after this year I bet.

Milwaukee native.  Went to Thomas More.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »

Agree on his future (Otz), as much as anyone can project these things.  Don't think it will be necessary, however.

The people wanting Stan?  How often does a head coach get canned and the assistant steps in permanently at the college level?  Interim ok, but permanent?  Especially if the head coach isn't being removed for something nefarious?
— Plato

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2018, 02:01:51 PM »
Let's steal Mark Few!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2018, 02:10:40 PM »

Also, I believe he was set up for the Milwaukee job until they switched course and hired Lavall Jordan.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »

Wood bee kinda like Craig Counsell, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback