Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What does MU need to accomplish this year for you to get/stay on the WojoWagon?

Nothing. My support for Wojo is unshakable.
9 (3.8%)
Any post-season.
7 (3%)
The Dance
68 (28.9%)
A NCAA Win
93 (39.6%)
2nd Weekend
48 (20.4%)
Only a banner redeems Wojo.
2 (0.9%)
Nothing. Every moment he's at the helm is like being stabbed in the heart with 1000 fiery knives.
8 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 235

Author Topic: Wojo's Threshold  (Read 39820 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Wojo's Threshold
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »
Off topic a bit but Henry was not well-served by his advisers. He was looking at macro issues and not at his own talent and ability. He has proven to be a marginal NBA talent and is now traversing between the Long Island and Brooklyn Nets.

He's just another Vander Blue.

From Henry's long-term perspective, he should stayed at least two and maybe three years, worked on his game and worked toward a degree. The degree would have served him well and could you have imagined last year's team if we had Sam, Henry, Theo, Markus and Sacar. I think Murray State would still be looking for its head.

MAKE MARQUETTE FEARED AGAIN!!!!!
Henry made the right choice.  With the several million he made, he could still go back to school.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »

Respectfully ... no.

Henry already has made what would be life-changing money for most people:

Season   Team   Lg   Salary
2016-17   Detroit Pistons   NBA          $1,704,120
2017-18   Detroit Pistons   NBA          $1,780,800
2018-19   Detroit Pistons   NBA          $1,857,480
2018-19   NY Knicks           NBA             $427,289
Career   (may be incomplete)      $5,769,689

Even if he never makes another dime in the NBA, and even if he only took home 40% of that after the agent's cut and taxes (and of course he took home more than that), that's nearly 2.5 million cash dollars.

And he probably will earn plenty more money as a player bouncing around the NBA, Europe, etc; and then he probably could coach for the rest of his life if that's what he chooses to do.

I cannot criticize any student for using college to make more than $2.5 million in his first 3 years out of college, and probably much more after that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2019, 12:04:28 PM »
Henry made the right choice.  With the several million he made, he could still go back to school.

Right.
And the notion that he would have developed better/differently at Marquette is misguided. If going against NBA players with NBA coaching in a full-time setting couldn't develop Henry into an NBA regular, a year or two more in college wasn't going to.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2019, 12:22:57 PM »
Off topic a bit but Henry was not well-served by his advisers. He was looking at macro issues and not at his own talent and ability. He has proven to be a marginal NBA talent and is now traversing between the Long Island and Brooklyn Nets.

From Henry's long-term perspective, he should stayed at least two and maybe three years, worked on his game and worked toward a degree. The degree would have served him well and could you have imagined last year's team if we had Sam, Henry, Theo, Markus and Sacar. I think Murray State would still be looking for its head.

Yeah he made millions before he was old enough to drink. And is still making more on marginal contracts than I do in a year with a masters. I think he was served just fine.

Also it's a myth you don't get better by leaving and sitting on the bench. He's able to focus all his time on practice, weights, etc without school distractions and such.

That all being said Joey probably doesn't come if Henry was still here since they served the same role. But it would've been a great team.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2019, 12:28:01 PM »

I understand why people want this to be true, but just completely disagree that he would be better off.  He has millions in his pocket and has had the best coaching and facilities the past few years. 

Ultimately he is what he is basketball wise.  Better to get paid while that conclusion plays out than to prove it to everyone in college and not get drafted. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »

I was one of the few people who thought Henry would see the value in staying in school and lead us to a Natty. I was convinced ,as a college basketball player, Henry had the essential ingredients to help get us there. Sort of a Tyler Hansbrough 2.0.  However, when he started consistently posting double doubles night after night, it became pretty obvious  he would leave under the right circumstances.

Those circumstances came together for him, the draft that year was weak, and there were many scouts who thought he could refine his shot and become a stretch 4. Each week I tracked and posted  Henrys mock draft rating and those of the peers Deyonta Davis and Brice Johnson and it was trending that Henry was going to be a middle of the first round pick. So he made the right move. The two other guys turned out to be busts as well. All three that I tracked got three years worth of guaranteed  money.

Henry had one year of eligibility left to do a two way contract and luckily found a home for that this year. So given his NBA ability he actually maxed out what he could get domestically. If things work out this year, he may be able to earn a minimum salary spot somewhere for a year. If not,  he can  finish up his career in one of the higher level overseas leagues and make another 12-15 years or so of good money given his size.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2019, 02:46:28 PM »
I was one of the few people who thought Henry would see the value in staying in school and lead us to a Natty. I was convinced ,as a college basketball player, Henry had the essential ingredients to help get us there. Sort of a Tyler Hansbrough 2.0.  However, when he started consistently posting double doubles night after night, it became pretty obvious  he would leave under the right circumstances.

Those circumstances came together for him, the draft that year was weak, and there were many scouts who thought he could refine his shot and become a stretch 4. Each week I tracked and posted  Henrys mock draft rating and those of the peers Deyonta Davis and Brice Johnson and it was trending that Henry was going to be a middle of the first round pick. So he made the right move. The two other guys turned out to be busts as well. All three that I tracked got three years worth of guaranteed  money.

Henry had one year of eligibility left to do a two way contract and luckily found a home for that this year. So given his NBA ability he actually maxed out what he could get domestically. If things work out this year, he may be able to earn a minimum salary spot somewhere for a year. If not,  he can  finish up his career in one of the higher level overseas leagues and make another 12-15 years or so of good money given his size.

The question is whether by waiting longer and spending more time with MU, would his game and his compensation improve?

Who knows?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2019, 02:52:02 PM »
The question is whether by waiting longer and spending more time with MU, would his game and his compensation improve?

Who knows?

Don't know why people are bringing up money when it comes to Henry.  He would have been feared at MU.  That's priceless right there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
Do expectations for Wojo change if Markus redshirts? ::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #234 on: October 12, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »

Listen, was it a possibility? Yes. But it wasn't Wojo's original plan. But in the end, Henry did the right thing...and Wojo used three years of scholarship space that arguably slowed rebuilding.

Young coach, also showing he can land a top 15 kid.  Worth the risk at that time, don’t you think?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2019, 11:41:08 AM »
Young coach, also showing he can land a top 15 kid.  Worth the risk at that time, don’t you think?

I was very vocal at the time on Wojo's early roster management/recruiting efficiency...so the answer is still no in retrospect, maybe even more so.  He squandered his opportunities unlike Kieger or Theis when they took over (or Crean and Buzz did at their new stops).

Now, where the program is today in terms of roster development?  Yes, he can get one and dones. Back then, he needed to build his program with four year guys. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »
I was very vocal at the time on Wojo's early roster management/recruiting efficiency...so the answer is still no in retrospect, maybe even more so.  He squandered his opportunities unlike Kieger or Theis when they took over (or Crean and Buzz did at their new stops).

Now, where the program is today in terms of roster development?  Yes, he can get one and dones. Back then, he needed to build his program with four year guys.

We will never know.  Maybe getting Henry and putting someone in the NBA led to other players landed.  Maybe it didn’t.  Impossible to prove one way or the other,  it I appreciate your POV.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback