[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Has the teams performance met your expectations?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Season To Date And Change Of Expectations  (Read 6846 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Poll: Season To Date And Change Of Expectations
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »
Honestly, my expectation for this season to this point changed because I watched IU play a cupcake at home.  It was obvious IU was quicker and playing at home.   So that game basically met my revised expectations, not because of MU, but because IU at home was better than I had thought they would be two weeks prior. The three MU cupcake games went fine. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
If that Indiana had showed up we would have looked better. We wouldn't have won but would have been better. Indiana also lost Juwan Morgan to foul trouble in the first two minutes of the first half. Didn't play again until the second.

It's usually not wise to put so much emphasis on a single data point.

We need to stop getting so unlucky.  That aside, Archie must have done some really good coaching in the first half having lost Morgan, to only have been trailing by 3 at the half on the road, 38-35.  As I recall our more experienced squad was down 13 at the half at IU with its full complement of players available.

It's usually not wise to put so much emphasis on finding excuses to justify continued mediocre performance.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
We need to stop getting so unlucky.

We get as lucky and unlucky as anybody else. Some nights we will face teams playing near the ceiling, some nights we will get them playing near their floor. Most nights they will be somewhere in between. As much as I loved the Villanova win we absolutely caught them on an off night and took advantage.

That aside, Archie must have done some really good coaching in the first half having lost Morgan, to only have been trailing by 3 at the half on the road, 38-35.  As I recall our more experienced squad was down 13 at the half at IU with its full complement of players available.

Archie is a great coach. I don't know anyone who has said otherwise. I'm also sure you are aware that the transitive property is not a thing in sports.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
My expectations based on feedback about some of our new guys were high for the non-conference schedule. Hearing that Morrow was the best guy in practice a few times last year, and then over the summer hearing that Bailey was looking like a starter had be thinking we'd start the year strong. I also thought Chartouny would be a starter from Day 1 because all his tape showed him as a much more comfortable PG than Markus. And while we are now seeing what JC is capable of, we still haven't seen Morrow or Bailey looking like starter-caliber Big East guys. They may get there, but if it takes them some time, we may end up losing a few games that I initially thought we'd win.

I came into the season thinking we would win all our non-conference home games. I saw 1 or 2 losses heading into conference play. I thought we'd hang with IU and have a good chance at winning that one (add in IU injuries, and then I really thought we could win). I assumed we'd go 1-1 in NYC, and I still think that will happen. But with the slower than expected start for some of our new guys, and even for some of our returning players, I think we'll drop a game or two at home to one of UW, KSU, and Buffalo.

Were my expectations too high? Maybe. But with the all the talent we've heard we have on this roster, I thought this was finally going to be a breakthrough year. It could still be, and we may see these guys flip a switch this week. But from what we've seen so far, it looks like it's going to take a while for this group (players and coaches) to really hit their stride. A strong close out to conference play and a good showing in March will certainly outweigh early season stumbles, so I'm hoping for that. I'm just not sure I'm betting on it just yet.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »
I had MU winning the three they won and losing to Indiana, so yes, my expectations have been met.... record-wise.
Even a loss to Kansas maintains that.

now, how they've gotten that expected record is certainly a subject for debate and some disappointment.
but it is early.
while frustrated to a degree, I'm nowhere close to throwing in the towel on what should certainly be the most accomplished season of the Wojo tenure.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
My expectations were simple.  I thought for the first time in the Wojo era that I could go to a game, or watch a game on tv and feel, “sure, we’re going to win this one”.  In other words, expected us to win because of the roster, the talent, the pre season reports etc.

Now I feel like I hope we win this one - I’m not confident yet in any game we play that we will just out and out win it.   Til it’s over. Lol. 

Go Marquette!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 12:55:41 PM »
Hard to interpert the results of this poll.  There are four possibilities.

1) Had low expectations and met expectations.

2 Had high expectations and met expectations.

3) Had low expectations and exceeded those expectations.

4) Had high expectations and did not meet those expections.

For me I had high expectations so I fell under category 4. Would be interesting to see how many fell into category 2.

5) Had high expectations for the season as a whole, but knew it would take a while to fit all the new guys into the rotation so the beginning could be rough, and we met those expectations.

That's me.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 01:17:02 PM »
We did about as expected against the cupcakes, two games where we didn't really play great but you were comfortable that we would win from start to finish and one that was uncomfortable for 3/4 of the game, but we did worse than expected against IU, in that we played poorly and were never really in the game.  So my answer was no.  I may answer differently after 6 games.  Tough to feel confident one way or the other after 4 games.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 01:56:54 PM »
question could be answered two different ways:
1.Based on our record.
2.Based on our play.

Used #2=NO - too inconsistent and fold at IU.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 02:06:18 PM »
Edit.

Didn't read the whole post before voting.

I would say that I still EXPECT this team to be as good as I EXPECTED them to be 3 weeks ago.  But I am very disapointed about the start to the season.  I projected an Indiana loss, so not so much the L that bugs me, its that I don't think the boys have played well at all in any of the 4 games. 

Still a lot of season left though. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:08:06 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 08:08:12 AM »
Before the season started, I had MU with 19 wins, mostly winning at home, losing all but a couple on the road.  Middle of the BE, 9+ seed. 

I think my expectations were at the low end of the spectrum of prognosticators.  Why low?  This thread. 

This thread has appeared every single damn (recent) year and MU constantly underwhelms, especially the first dozen games.  There's rarely a surprise to the upside.

I would love it if 2018-19 Wojo proved all that Arby's wrong and surprised us all.