Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What is the minimum MU has to accomplish for Wojo to stay?

NIT...given the season isn't a complete disaster...he gets one more year
27 (17.3%)
NCAA...bubble
34 (21.8%)
NCAA...bubble + 1 or more wins
16 (10.3%)
NCAA...safely in
61 (39.1%)
NCAA...safely in + 1 or more wins
18 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Voting closed: November 24, 2018, 09:01:02 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Wojo should keep his job if...  (Read 8992 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Wojo should keep his job if...
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »
Herman
Are you serious? I actually felt badly for Wojo at halftime when Bill R. and the Fox crew were trying to spin a positive Wojo story. Wojo is on nobody's radar as new hire for next year. Clean image is great, but that is not going to have suitors knocking down his doors. After all the recent scandals, clean is now the rule at 90% of the programs. It is now a given, not a hope for many schools.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
He stays this year.

Next year he has an experienced squad, along with a standout transfer.  This will be the "drawing the line" year to determine his status.  BUT,

The 2020 recruiting class is just loaded and MU is involved with a lot of Top 10 and Top 20 players.  One of these days MU is due to sign some highly ranked kids and they won't be former MU Targets.  MU loses Howard, Sacar, Sam and Morrow, leaving significant holes, even with Cain, Theo, Joey, etc returning.

Lets say Wojo during the course of next year, gets some of these highly ranked recruits to commit, yet he has a substandard year.  Do they release Wojo and jeopardize having the recruits change their mind.  I know, I know, its just a scenario, but think about it, something like this could happen to change the barometer. 

HERMAN,  my friend, clean image? keep cranking out performance like he has? value goes up?  Please think before typing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
Herman
Are you serious? I actually felt badly for Wojo at halftime when Bill R. and the Fox crew were trying to spin a positive Wojo story. Wojo is on nobody's radar as new hire for next year. Clean image is great, but that is not going to have suitors knocking down his doors. After all the recent scandals, clean is now the rule at 90% of the programs. It is now a given, not a hope for many schools.

If Wojo has a solid year, including an NCAA birth, he will be mentioned for coaching searches next year.  Especially if a place like Wake Forest opens up.  Nothing high level but P5 programs?  Sure.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 12:04:09 PM »
Sultan
Much of the discussion the past week is if he will keep his job at MU and not making a destination change. It it a a bit of a reach that he would be sought out after this season. I would be more shocked that he would be a candidate elsewhere than him getting axed here. Keep in mind, I think he has zero chance of being replaced at MU after this season or next season.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 12:25:11 PM »
Can you explain this?

What dangerous game?  That a Horizon League team might swoop in and take him away?  Or am I missing something.

I should have explained; the danger is a coach being asked to recruit at a high level when he's contract is ending before the recruit's 4 years are up. Wojo's recruiting,not coaching, has carried him to this point at MU and he will be or is dealing with negative recruiting from other coach's with better job security.

IMO, the idea of Wojo being hired away, especially by a P5 school, is laughable. He will either succeed at MU (my hope) or will be back on Coach K's bench.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 12:27:41 PM »
Five star recruits are flocking to Arizona while Sean Miller’s name is all over an FBI investigation. High school kids aren’t worried about the number of years left on a coach’s contract.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »
Five star recruits are flocking to Arizona while Sean Miller’s name is all over an FBI investigation. High school kids aren’t worried about the number of years left on a coach’s contract.
I would agree if MU was recruiting "one and done's". Also Miller's coaching resume dwarfs Wojo's.

If your assertion is correct then would you support letting Wojo run through his contract before giving him an extension?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »
I expect that a NCAA bid should be the benchmark. If this team misses completely, that should be it. I don't know that MU's administration would have the same minimum expectation.

But personally, if we don't see a 7-seed or better, I'll personally be ready to start looking at candidates. We should not be a bubble team this year. 8 or worse, if it were me, I'd be looking up Luke Yaklich's number in the Rolodex.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »

Not number of years left on contract, I never said that.  Players committ, coach let go before player arrives, player changes mind. Happens all the time. 

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »
I think its pretty obvious administration wise he'll be here next year if we finish better than .500....next year is the hot seat.

my opinion: Stays only if we get into the Big Dance (bubble or no).

There's a math formula..Coach starts at 0 beginning of this year:
"Bubble-In + 0/1 win" = +0
"Sweet16" or "Solid-In" = +1
NIT or less =  -1
DePaul Year = -3
"Elite 8" = +2
"Final 4+" = +3

As soon as he goes negative, He's gone!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »
Herman
It is pretty much the laws of supply and demand. There are simply not that many viable candidates for high major jobs. Wojo , if he performs at similar levels to the last 3 years this year, pretty much becomes a viable candidate for a P5 football school type job. Look at the Georgia coaching job. They hired Coach Crean, as he was pretty much the only high major experience guy out there, the rest of the viable candidates were mid major guys.
If Wojo has a solid year, including an NCAA birth, he will be mentioned for coaching searches next year.  Especially if a place like Wake Forest opens up.  Nothing high level but P5 programs?  Sure.
Obviously there were many reasons Buzz left when he did, but part of his calculus was that he knew he had a limited shelf life as being a highly desirable coach. If Wojo can parlay his current job into a Crean level deal he would be hard pressed to turn it down. 6 years at $3.2mm

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2018/03/19/former-marquette-basketball-coach-tomcrean-signs-6.html
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Re: Poll: Wojo should keep his job if...
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2018, 09:54:36 PM »
Where is the option of “Jalen Johnson verbals to Marquette”?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 08:43:35 AM »
...if Floor Slapper will allow it.

There are so many variables. If major transfers out occur, we don’t reach the tourney, performance is brutal... then OK.

But, the truth is even in a scenario where the tourney is not reached, CURRENTLY next year looks even better on paper than this year. You don’t blow that up for stupid reasons like losing early in the tourney
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 01:02:49 PM »
I'm curious as to where most fans stand.  I've been happy with Wojo's recruiting, the manner in which he and his players represent MU, and obviously want to see him be discussed as going to Duke rather than being fired.  All the talk has been interesting, but not many are stating what they feel is required (different than expected) for them to feel comfortable with Wojo for another year.
Need to start beating the big boys.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 01:57:09 PM »
Tired of polls that don't offer the entire spectrum of options.
Tired of infrequent (ie only when we lose) posters bombarding scoop with negative threads that all say basically the same thing.
Tired of entitled fans who believe that they somehow deserve something even though all they did was graduate from Marquette.
Scoop hasn't been a great place for the last week.  Since we'll likely get creamed by Kansas tomorrow, I'll poke my head in next week and see if the place is more livable.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2018, 01:58:16 PM »
Tired of infrequent (ie only when we lose) posters bombarding scoop with negative threads that all say basically the same thing.
Tired of entitled fans who believe that they somehow deserve something even though all they did was graduate from Marquette.
Scoop hasn't been a great place for the last week.  Since we'll likely get creamed by Kansas tomorrow, I'll poke my head in next week and see if the place is more livable.

Are you going to the 508 tomorrow?

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
Cooking for 26 on Thursday.  Probably not.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »

Mmmmm... please PM me the recipe for creamed Kansas, it sounds delicious.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2018, 03:11:00 PM »
...if Floor Slapper will allow it.

There are so many variables. If major transfers out occur, we don’t reach the tourney, performance is brutal... then OK.

But, the truth is even in a scenario where the tourney is not reached, CURRENTLY next year looks even better on paper than this year. You don’t blow that up for stupid reasons like losing early in the tourney

Allowed JayBee.  Ha.

You have been very bullish on this year's team, as I recall your expectation was Top 15/Sweet 16?  That said:

If we miss the tournament this year, do you let Wojo coach the guys next year too when will have 5 years of data on his ability as a head coach at that time?

Or do you hand the team off to a guy like Stan (or search out another coach with a proven track record of being able to coach), and let him walk into a team that has serious potential - especially if married to a go who can coach?

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
Mmmmm... please PM me the recipe for creamed Kansas, it sounds delicious.

Markus goes for 50 and we foul Azubuike 20 times.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2018, 06:51:01 PM »
You could not be more wrong about me or why I started this poll.  Happy Thanksgiving!  Sorry I upset you...was curious to talk about 5 years of wins/losses rather than one game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:52:47 PM by avid1010 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2018, 06:57:04 PM »

Big deal.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2018, 07:07:36 PM »
Watching Brian Wardle & Bradley about to upset SMU. Expected solid defense, but they are really good at driving inside to open up looks outside. They'll be interesting to follow this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2018, 07:21:55 PM »

Tired of posters who brag about staying away from Scoop after a bad loss to avoid the negativity.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2018, 07:33:37 PM »
Watching Brian Wardle & Bradley about to upset SMU. Expected solid defense, but they are really good at driving inside to open up looks outside. They'll be interesting to follow this year.
Wardle doing a good job at Bradley.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback