[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rotational Depth  (Read 2222 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Rotational Depth
« on: November 15, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »
Always felt that a deep rotation is not a good thing unless you are pressing all game long.  You play your best players the most minutes.  Howard and Sam should be playing 32 plus minutes a game unless foul trouble or just awful play dictates otherwise. 

Right now, I think Wojo is playing too many players.  He needs to shorten his rotation to 8 core players.  Get the point guard on the court, get Theo extended minutes and surround them with shooters and scorers.  That means, Bailey and one of Morrow or Heldt are playing limited minutes at best, like its a blowout and they get in the last 4 minutes of the game.  They might or might not deserve more playing time but there is too much subbing, in and out.  I don't know how half of them can get into any kind of game flow and offensively I think it leads to more hero ball and standing around. 

Howard 35
Sam 35
Theo 25
Joe C 30
Cain 25
Joey 20
Sacar 20
Morrow/Heldt 10

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Rotational Depth
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 11:58:55 AM »
Agree that the rotation should be shortened up (and in time I think it will be), but I do not see a scenario where Theo plays 25 minutes without fouling out.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
I think Morrow and Bailey lost rotation minutes last night. Joey gained. Toony gained just because Markus played so poorly at PG. Jamal probably earned some play also.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:12:02 PM »
Crazy how much we miss Greg. I did not think his absence would impact us too much, but just someone who can create a little bit off the bounce would be a great addition.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
Crazy how much we miss Greg. I did not think his absence would impact us too much, but just someone who can create a little bit off the bounce would be a great addition.

We have Sacar who is probably better on both sides of the ball than Greg right now. The problem is that our offensive scheme doesn't seem to allow for much outside of passing the ball around the perimeter looking for a three. We are way too one-dimensional, and we are under utilizing some bright spots in our offense right now.

Sacar should have the green light to drive and create, Joe should be given the chance to shoot or drive, Theo should should get touches as a back to the basket big. We need more scoring options, and Wojo needs to push for that. Being a good shooting team is a lot of fun when they're dropping, but on cold nights, we need to have other options.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »
Always felt that a deep rotation is not a good thing unless you are pressing all game long.  You play your best players the most minutes.  Howard and Sam should be playing 32 plus minutes a game unless foul trouble or just awful play dictates otherwise. 

Right now, I think Wojo is playing too many players.  He needs to shorten his rotation to 8 core players.  Get the point guard on the court, get Theo extended minutes and surround them with shooters and scorers.  That means, Bailey and one of Morrow or Heldt are playing limited minutes at best, like its a blowout and they get in the last 4 minutes of the game.  They might or might not deserve more playing time but there is too much subbing, in and out.  I don't know how half of them can get into any kind of game flow and offensively I think it leads to more hero ball and standing around. 

Howard 35
Sam 35
Theo 25
Joe C 30
Cain 25
Joey 20
Sacar 20
Morrow/Heldt 10

Like the idea but I see no way Joe C plays that much this season, and Sacar is going to be over 30 mins most nights. Sacar isn’t expected to score, but he does other things too well to take him off court. Sacar being a legit scoring option he’s shown the ability to be at times is definitely something this team could use.

Other than that, yah. Wouldn’t hate seeing a shorter rotation against Kansas. That said, not going to matter if Sam and Markus don’t hit their shots.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 10:49:37 PM »
We have Sacar who is probably better on both sides of the ball than Greg right now. The problem is that our offensive scheme doesn't seem to allow for much outside of passing the ball around the perimeter looking for a three. We are way too one-dimensional, and we are under utilizing some bright spots in our offense right now.

Sacar should have the green light to drive and create, Joe should be given the chance to shoot or drive, Theo should should get touches as a back to the basket big. We need more scoring options, and Wojo needs to push for that. Being a good shooting team is a lot of fun when they're dropping, but on cold nights, we need to have other options.
we have 0 ball movement on offense

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »

Howard 35
Sam 35
Theo 25
Joe C 30
Cain 25
Joey 20
Sacar 20
Morrow/Heldt 10

Fanatic - I respectfully disagree because we learned against IU that not only do we still have porous D, we have no Offense to speak of.  Therefore I want to go to full game full court man to man press and try to get steals and layups.  The other  team is getting layups anyway, we might as well put some pressure on them first and maybe get them tired. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 07:49:45 AM »
   I always want a team to have a solid 8-9 man rotation.    Not with the minutes equally distributed, but with everyone knowing their roles.     In the modern game, I would want 2 PG's, 1 '5', 2 stretch 4's and 4 wings.    For this specific team, losing Elliott really emphasizes the roster imbalance.   4 3-4's and a lack of a true PG is poor roster balance. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 01:11:01 PM »

Sacar has been driving, but he is not a super aggressive offense type, JC I think is lacking confidence on offense he has had some very bad looking shots. I do not think either has been told not to shoot or limit their shots
Goal is National Championship

feedback