[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Read the Press Clippings  (Read 7555 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Markus Read the Press Clippings
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »
Time to start focusing on being All Marquette and not worry about 50 burgers and All American.  The CP3 Camp didn't teach him how to dribble with his head up.  We need Chartouny to get up to speed in a hurry.  Hopefully Wojo will call a timeout to pray with the team after his first made field goal like Bazz did when Mbao made his first field goal in practice.  This team needs a point guard.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
Re: Markus Read the Press Clippings
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:12:42 PM »
Touny looked better tonight than the previous games. Grad transfers need some time though.

Totally agree on Markus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:18:03 PM »
Touny looked better tonight than the previous games. Grad transfers need some time though.

Totally agree on Markus.

Thanks.  I'll be honest, I was only able to watch the first 10 minutes of the game and listen to homer for the next 5 minutes of the game.  Just tired of not even competing against some mediocre teams.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 10:20:47 PM »
Needs to decide if he wants to put up numbers or put up wins.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »
During the B-C game, I was convinced one problem looming or rising up for MU was going to be Howard trying to put up numbers in anticipation of testing the waters next April. I like Markus, I like him getting shots/points in the flow of the offense, he's MU's only real option to get to the basket, but he has the most Ewing Theory potential of an MU player that I can remember.

Oddly, I don't think that's entirely his fault either. He doesn't trust anyone other than Sam (can probably add Joey by year end). To a degree, I think Markus is in a no man's land.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »
Markus has been and will be the most talented player in the court during his tenure.

Unfortunately, Markus will never be the best player on the court during his tenure

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:37:58 PM »
Grad transfers need some time though.

Guess that makes this Fitzner fellow the next Bob Pettit.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 10:42:09 PM »
Guess that makes this Fitzner fellow the next Bob Pettit.

Probably.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 11:30:21 PM »
Markus has been and will be the most talented player in the court during his tenure.

Unfortunately, Markus will never be the best player on the court during his tenure

Every smart poster on this board knows Sam is #1. Would be great if Wojo knew it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »
Every smart poster on this board knows Sam is #1. Would be great if Wojo knew it.
Wojo knows, but they are 2 very different type players.
Goal is National Championship

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 02:30:23 PM »
Wojo knows, but they are 2 very different type players.

Yup.  Sam doesn't really hunt his shot.  He lets everything come to him and typically makes the smart basketball play.  Markus hunts his shot...and hunts his shot...and hunts his shot some more.

I think Joey will be a nice balance.  Smart and makes the right play but will hunt his shot when needed/when he's feeling it.

Also, I think Sam is still working to get his legs back, particularly on his perimeter jumper.  I hardly ever remember him leaving shots short last year, and this year everything seems to be front iron.  Looking forward to him finding his range again.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
Yup.  Sam doesn't really hunt his shot.  He lets everything come to him and typically makes the smart basketball play.  Markus hunts his shot...and hunts his shot...and hunts his shot some more.

I think Joey will be a nice balance.  Smart and makes the right play but will hunt his shot when needed/when he's feeling it.

Also, I think Sam is still working to get his legs back, particularly on his perimeter jumper.  I hardly ever remember him leaving shots short last year, and this year everything seems to be front iron.  Looking forward to him finding his range again.

Looks a lot more deliberate this year than last as well. It was more catch & fire with little if any wasted motion (Novak-esque). Seems to be more of a wind up this year. Hope that's just rust he'll shake off

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
I don't think Markus is so self centered that his only focus is the NBA. I thought Ellenson used MU far more than Markus.

but he know he has to show a good handle to make the NBA at 5'10". He helps the Team most off-the-ball except to drive. He helps himself most if he plays Point. I think its a tension.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 04:29:23 PM »
How anyone can think Markus would make the NBA is laughable.  Each year he has regressed in my opinion.  Sam is hands down a better player than Markus and it’s not even close

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
Lens and Pilot
I am a big fan of Sam, but am not a believer he is best player on the team. He is not even the best player in his family. Sam would be an outstanding 20-25 minute guy on a great system team. He will struggle getting open looks this season without a PG on the court.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 06:03:55 PM »
Lens and Pilot
I am a big fan of Sam, but am not a believer he is best player on the team. He is not even the best player in his family. Sam would be an outstanding 20-25 minute guy on a great system team. He will struggle getting open looks this season without a PG on the court.

Goose, I agree Sam is not the best player on the team.  I think joey is the best player, and Cain is the most athletic.

I don’t understand the love-fest over Markus.  Nice player, good shooter, not the answer to this team if he’s handling the ball the majority of the time

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 06:52:00 PM »
Sam would start for any team in America. He’s an absolute stud.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 06:57:37 PM »
Lens and Pilot
Sorry Goose. Sam can play D,  Joey cant.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 07:13:28 PM »
So far through three games it seems like Markus has maybe improved his ball-handling from a 3 to a 4, but far from what it needs to be.  He's still a shoot-first SG in the body and role of a PG.  I'm hoping we realize this and try playing him with someone that can distribute and create. 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 10:02:35 PM »
I saw at least 5 pick & rolls where Markus just couldn't make the pass... wasn't even looking to the roll man.  That was very disappointing because those would have been easy dunks for Theo or layups for matt.

The other thing I didn't see against IU was hustle.  He wasn't sprinting to the corner, wasn't cutting hard around screens, and wasn't moving quickly when off the ball.  He was mostly walking.  I hope that shows up in the film, because he's pretty easy to guard when stationary. 

Finally, he never showed "blow by" speed.  Admittedly the ball screens were poor most of the time (how hard is it to teach kids to set screens???) but from what I saw he only beat his guy once, and that time the defender recovered to block the shot. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 10:14:25 PM »
Sam would start for any team in America. He’s an absolute stud.

???

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 10:14:53 PM »
I don't think Markus is selfish or wants to play hero ball, I just think its the only way he knows how to play.  He doesn't see certain things.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 10:34:59 PM »
???

Sam is a very good player. Probably a borderline top 100 D1 player. He would not, however, start for any team in America.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 10:53:44 PM »
Sam is a very good player. Probably a borderline top 100 D1 player. He would not, however, start for any team in America.

Sam is coming off a sophomore season in which he averaged 14 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and shot 50% from the field and 49% from the 3 point line as a 6’8” forward who defends well (though not a lockdown defender) and can play the 3, 4, or even small ball 5. And he can play in any system and next to any players. He’s not someone that needs the ball in his hands or needs a ton of shots. If he needs to lead a team in scoring he could, if he needs to play good defense, rebound, and hit the catch and shoot 3 he could.

Tyler Herro starts at Kentucky, and does so solely for his shooting. Hauser is not only a much better shooter but also has 3 inches and an infinitely better defender. The only aspect Herro is better than Hauser is in athleticism. I have very little doubt Hauser would start over Herro.

Duke starts Bolden at the 5. If they need his size then Sam comes off the bench there as he’s not pushing Barrett/Zion/Redish to the bench, but I have very little doubt that if K had the chance to start Sam in place of Bolden and go with Zion as a point center or Sam as a small five stretching the floor they’d be even better. Bolden is not good, and Sam’s shooting with all those slashers? That would be fun to see.

If Legerald Vick continues to shoot 67% from 3 then Sam wouldn’t start at Kansas, but given that his coach basically declared him for the draft for him because he couldn’t wait to get rid of him immediately after the season ended last year I trust he’ll come down to earth.

In terms of talent those are the top 3 teams in the country. Duke he probably doesn’t start so my statement is probably wrong. Otherwise I think he starts anywhere else in the country.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:56:39 PM by wadesworld »

feedback