[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Guards  (Read 11532 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Guards
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 05:51:30 PM »
Aircraft
I am not sure Greg is a point guard. He hooked onto the new kid 100%. At the moment, it looks like it was not a great bet.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 05:59:24 PM »
Goose,How can you only have 3 guards on the team and only one can handle the ball.He got away with it last year.Lucky Rowsey did not get hurt.Just poor planning.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 06:00:11 PM »
Aircraft
PG is more important spot on the court. He missed the target big time.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 06:01:37 PM »
Chartouny's nickname should be The Tax Deduction, based on the number of people here who have written him off.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
Goose,
See how much better Wisconsin plays with Trice back.If we had a good point we would be really good.Does not have to be a big scorer.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 06:05:22 PM »
Aircraft
PG is more important spot on the court. He missed the target big time.

The one thing I liked about Buzz's recruiting philosophy was the idea of getting a point guard every year. Didn't always work out, but with transfers and injuries I think it's a wise plan, even if you end up taking a 3-star project.

I think the loss of Traci Carter hurt more than maybe any other in Wojo's tenure. Even if he was a backup to Markus for 3 years, having a reliable ballhandler and defender on the bench at that position is invaluable.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 06:09:11 PM »
Chartouny is slow with no shot. He's a mid-major player, at best, who, frankly and literally, is out of his league. Smacks of a desparate Wojo move to bring him here, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »
4ever
He looks like a poor man’s D Wilson to me.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »
Wilson looked like Kobe compared to this dude.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »
4ever
He looks like a poor man’s D Wilson to me.

I'm still waiting to see how he looks in December. Scoop was ready to run chucker Carlino out of town at this stage of his grad season. That worked out okay. Not saying Chartouny will do similar, he could be a total bust, but MU grad transfers tend to take a little time to acclimate before they show their worth.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 12:08:22 PM »
Chartouny is slow with no shot. He's a mid-major player, at best, who, frankly and literally, is out of his league. Smacks of a desparate Wojo move to bring him here, hey?

For only one season. Better to have a body than open scholarship and it is still too early. With Koby and Akanno coming in will have more athletic guards.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 12:22:44 PM »
Carlino, Lockett, Rowsey, and Reinhardt all started ridiculously slowly, too.    To throw in the towel on Chartouny now is just more kneejerk myopia.      First, until Greg gets back, there are no other options other than walk ons.     There was quite a list of people trying to get Chartouny because of who and what he is.     An experienced PG with size who plays defense.     He hasn't found his way yet.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 12:31:46 PM »
The one thing I liked about Buzz's recruiting philosophy was the idea of getting a point guard every year. Didn't always work out, but with transfers and injuries I think it's a wise plan, even if you end up taking a 3-star project.

I think the loss of Traci Carter hurt more than maybe any other in Wojo's tenure. Even if he was a backup to Markus for 3 years, having a reliable ballhandler and defender on the bench at that position is invaluable.

This all day and everyday.  For gosh sakes even Thomas love him. 

RIPtheEngine
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 12:33:38 PM »

I think the loss of Traci Carter hurt more than maybe any other in Wojo's tenure.
I think Haanif hurt more, but having them both this year as seniors sure would have been nice. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2018, 07:21:33 AM »
I think Haanif hurt more, but having them both this year as seniors sure would have been nice.

We just haven't had enough guys able to play PG. Last two years it was really just Markus & Rowsey & they were often on the court together. This year it's Markus & Chartouny. Maybe Greg will develop into that, but he's more of a 2/3 wing. We had a lot more depth at Haanif's position.

As a former PG, it baffles me that Wojo never seems to have more than 2 on the roster. And he definitely seems to prefer combo guards to true game managers (Rowsey, Howard, Elliott). That should be a position where you always have 2 capable guys with 1-2 more on the roster waiting in the wings.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 07:46:04 AM »
For better of worse, Chartouney is the PG we'll have to ride this year. Grad transfers start slow - even the better JC hasn't exactly lit it up yet.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3918721/joe-cremo

That said - I don't understand why Chartouney didn't get max minutes in our first two games. Our entire season depends on him getting up to speed. Let's see what the kid can do - but in order for that to happen he has to be on the floor. If he doesn't get 30 min today this is a major Wojo fail.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »
For better of worse, Chartouney is the PG we'll have to ride this year. Grad transfers start slow - even the better JC hasn't exactly lit it up yet.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3918721/joe-cremo

That said - I don't understand why Chartouney didn't get max minutes in our first two games. Our entire season depends on him getting up to speed. Let's see what the kid can do - but in order for that to happen he has to be on the floor. If he doesn't get 30 min today this is a major Wojo fail.

He won't get 30 minutes today.

He didn't get max minutes in the first two games because it's obvious that he is struggling with integrating into the team.  Right now, I am not TOO concerned about that.  A lot of grad transfers take time.  Now if he is still struggling in a couple of weeks, I will be placing him in the "bust" category.

What should be most concerning, and brew alluded to it earlier, is that Markus may very well be the best option at PG right now.  And the inability of Wojo to recruit a quality PG, or thinking that Markus was the best option, is his largest issue right now.  It may well end up being the downfall of him as a coach at MU.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2018, 08:17:40 AM »

He won't get 30 minutes today.

He didn't get max minutes in the first two games because it's obvious that he is struggling with integrating into the team.  Right now, I am not TOO concerned about that.  A lot of grad transfers take time.  Now if he is still struggling in a couple of weeks, I will be placing him in the "bust" category.

What should be most concerning, and brew alluded to it earlier, is that Markus may very well be the best option at PG right now.  And the inability of Wojo to recruit a quality PG, or thinking that Markus was the best option, is his largest issue right now.  It may well end up being the downfall of him as a coach at MU.

But we already know Markus' ceiling as a PG (not very high). We don't know Chartouny's yet. So give him max minutes against the cupcakes to see if he can find it.

If he's already there then we are well and truly f*cked this season.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2018, 08:47:21 AM »
But we already know Markus' ceiling as a PG (not very high). We don't know Chartouny's yet. So give him max minutes against the cupcakes to see if he can find it.

Wojo knows more than we do.  Playing time isn't some sort of addition for the fans.

And I'm not saying he's great, but Markus' horrible PG play has been a bit exaggerated here.  After his three early turnovers, he settled down a bit.  His hero ball was a clear problem too.  Those are all correctable mistakes - the question is will he correct them.

If he's already there then we are well and truly f*cked this season.

I would say that JC's contributions were a key part to determining our success this year.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »
I'm still waiting to see how he looks in December. Scoop was ready to run chucker Carlino out of town at this stage of his grad season. That worked out okay. Not saying Chartouny will do similar, he could be a total bust, but MU grad transfers tend to take a little time to acclimate before they show their worth.

At least Matt's shot went toward the basket. I would feel better if JC's shot could actually hit the rim.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2018, 09:56:02 AM »
Sultan, you reference a point I have been making for a while.  Like Henry stopped a couple of talented forwards from coming to MU, like Yogi Ferrell at IU under Cream, Markus' presence is a block for other talented PG's.   Traci left.  Wojo has landed zero others.   The perception is that Markus is the man and newcomers will ha e to sit and wait.  In my opinion.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
To have Matt Carlino and Joe C in same discussion troubles me. I hope JC turns into a serviceable PG for this squad, but to think he has Carlino upside seems to be quite a reach to me.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
To have Matt Carlino and Joe C in same discussion troubles me. I hope JC turns into a serviceable PG for this squad, but to think he has Carlino upside seems to be quite a reach to me.

Has anyone said that?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
jesmu
I forgot how much I dislike your posts during the off-season. Thanks for reminding me.
To address your point and mine, brew made comparison on how folks were down on Matt early in his year at MU and things turned out. It turned out because Matt was a legit D1 player. I hope JC ends up being a poor man’s D Wilson.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
jesmu
I forgot how much I dislike your posts during the off-season. Thanks for reminding me.
To address your point and mine, brew made comparison on how folks were down on Matt early in his year at MU and things turned out. It turned out because Matt was a legit D1 player. I hope JC ends up being a poor man’s D Wilson.

I agree with Brew and made a similar post. As a whole, this board, in the past, has quickly written off players like Katin, Carlino, Lockett.

Yet those players, once time to acclimate, succeeded.

All I'm saying is give the freshmen and transfers time. Will any of them produce like those in the past? Maybe. Maybe not. But it seems slightly unfair and unreasonable to give up on them 3 games into a season.

Is that fair?