[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Good Job Team Superbar  (Read 7787 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Good Job Team Superbar
« on: November 08, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »
Not trying to restart the thread and I have zero issue with the Millennial Voters thread getting locked, but I thought it should be noted that I thought everyone did a good job of being civil and confrontational without being contentious. There may just be hope for this place yet and if we're gonna get yelled at for stupid stuff we do, we should also acknowledge when we do semi-competent stuff.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

reinko

• All American
Re: Good Job Team Superbar
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:53:24 AM »
Not trying to restart the thread and I have zero issue with the Millennial Voters thread getting locked, but I thought it should be noted that I thought everyone did a good job of being civil and confrontational without being contentious. There may just be hope for this place yet and if we're gonna get yelled at for stupid stuff we do, we should also acknowledge when we do semi-competent stuff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:29:46 AM »

Oh, shut the eff up. I hate you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
Challenge accepted

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:40:48 AM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 08:48:37 AM »

Well, you do have game ... so what I said earlier? Never mind! I love you, brother!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 08:56:11 AM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »
This thread has potential.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
Well, you do have game ... so what I said earlier? Never mind! I love you, brother!!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
The lock was not Rocky's best moment.

I'll admit, a few pages in I was ignoring the gerrymandering string and focused on the compulsory voting string, which is not only apolitical in nature, but had devolved into a discussion on constitutionality, which again, was apolitical in nature.

Look no further than the facts that:

1) You had two hard core liberals taking a hard position against something that many political scientists believe would lean slightly to the benefit of Democrats.  Only in DPRK could that be considered a political discussion.

2) Gerrymandering is not a Republican vs. Democrat issue... it's a majority party vs. minority party issue, i.e. apolitical.

In other words, neither topic was about politics... both are issues that need to be tackled by everyone (fatties, asses and owls) for the good of American society.

Pretty soon mods will be locking threads if we type in red , blue, or lavender.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
A bag of Arby's will clear your problem right up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 11:31:14 AM »

I'll admit, a few pages in I was ignoring the gerrymandering string and focused on the compulsory voting string, which is not only apolitical in nature, but had devolved into a discussion on constitutionality, which again, was apolitical in nature.

Look no further than the facts that:

1) You had two hard core liberals taking a hard position against something that many political scientists believe would lean slightly to the benefit of Democrats.  Only in DPRK could that be considered a political discussion.

2) Gerrymandering is not a Republican vs. Democrat issue... it's a majority party vs. minority party issue, i.e. apolitical.

In other words, neither topic was about politics... both are issues that need to be tackled by everyone (fatties, asses and owls) for the good of American society.

Pretty soon mods will be locking threads if we type in red , blue, or lavender.

I won't debate rocky's decision. He's allowed, and we all know it before we post. I mean, the mods eventually lock every Superbar thread I post, even if they have nothing to do with politics. It's a fun little "game."

I do agree with you about the subject matter, however, Benny. It was interesting, relevant and important. It's a perfect, timely issue for intelligent, college-educated people to discuss.

But hey, if it was deemed too political, we can always turn to the LATEST mass shooting, perpetrated just yesterday. 12 dead at a California nightclub's "college night." The killer has been identified as an ex-Marine.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »

Agreed. I've had so many great moments in life, a simple click of the lock button is going to be way down the list!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 11:41:43 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to add "thoughts and prayers."

Management regrets the error.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »
12 dead at a California nightclub's "college night." The killer has been identified as an ex-Marine.
Like I said in the now locked PTSD thread, it is not something to make jokes about or use as an insult. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 11:57:57 AM »
Like I said in the now locked PTSD thread, it is not something to make jokes about or use as an insult.

Obviously, I was not suggesting that this had anything to do with the Marines. It just goes to show that anybody can do this stuff, even if they aren't "invaders" coming in a caravan.

Another sad day in America. They do seem to be getting closer together.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 12:03:51 PM »
This thread has potential.

Didn't live up to it unfortunately.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
Obviously, I was not suggesting that this had anything to do with the Marines. It just goes to show that anybody can do this stuff, even if they aren't "invaders" coming in a caravan.

Another sad day in America. They do seem to be getting closer together.

Every day another person puts their faith into our elected leaders is a sad day.  So they can't be closer together.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the promised ban on bump stocks.... that would be a good start, but thanks to Pakuni et al with their "unconstitutional" whining, I'm sure that will never happen.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »
Every day another person puts their faith into our elected leaders is a sad day.  So they can't be closer together.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the promised ban on bump stocks.... that would be a good start, but thanks to Pakuni et al with their "unconstitutional" whining, I'm sure that will never happen.

Yeah ... remember the bump stock ban?

That executive order wouldn't have appealed to all the anger/hate/fear folks, though.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 02:47:49 PM »

"2A couldn't be clearer in our 'right to bear bump stocks' -- so suck it, libtards!"  -- Ted "I pooped in my pants to avoid Vietnam" Nugent.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 03:33:08 PM »
See... this is the problem: we're having a perfectly decent conversation - hell, even 82 is staying behind the line - when people's inability to refrain from dumbassery, e.g. the below, threatens to shut down discussion on something that really needs to be discussed in society but cannot because of said dumbassery.

"2A couldn't be clearer in our 'right to bear bump stocks' -- so suck it, libtards!"  -- Ted "I pooped in my pants to avoid Vietnam" Nugent.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »
See... this is the problem: we're having a perfectly decent conversation - hell, even 82 is staying behind the line - when people's inability to refrain from dumbassery, e.g. the below, threatens to shut down discussion on something that really needs to be discussed in society but cannot because of said dumbassery.
Sorry Benny, I guess I should have put it in teal for you.  Apologies you didn't get it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
Yeah ... remember the bump stock ban?

That executive order wouldn't have appealed to all the anger/hate/fear folks, though.

I just read this yesterday from the November The Atlantic.  I came away feeling that maybe there is compromise somewhere and reasonableness is on both sides.

The Bullet in My Arm
I grew up in a gun-loving town in Alabama. My grandfather’s store sells firearms. But only after I was shot did I begin to understand America’s complicated relationship with guns.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/10/the-bullet-in-my-arm/568369/

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »
I just read this yesterday from the November The Atlantic.  I came away feeling that maybe there is compromise somewhere and reasonableness is on both sides.

The Bullet in My Arm
I grew up in a gun-loving town in Alabama. My grandfather’s store sells firearms. But only after I was shot did I begin to understand America’s complicated relationship with guns.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/10/the-bullet-in-my-arm/568369/

Oh there is definitely compromise to be had amongst the people. There is very likely no compromise to be had amongst the politicians.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »
There is room for all kinds of compromise.

We had a big thread going on this subject about 20 mass shootings ago, back when chicos wasn't a Cubbie-loving Democrat, and several reasonable people suggested several easy, common-sense ideas. Not a single one would "guarantee" that folks still won't get killed by guns, but together they might have saved some lives.

The gun lovers, however, want none of them. Even though 80%+ of Americans do.

As said earlier, even the famous call for banning bump stocks ... crickets now. Close the gun-show loophole? Oh goodness no. Ban those on the no-fly list from buying guns? Hail no. Mandatory gun-safety classes? Nope.

And so it goes.

At the rate these are happening now, there will probably be another by next week.

But yeah ... the free press is the enemy of the people.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »
hows about changing the term "gun lovers" to pro 2nd amendment in order to be a little more civil.  your term has a little unnecessary "edginess" to it, shall we say-thank you, ok, carry on
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
hows about changing the term "gun lovers" to pro 2nd amendment in order to be a little more civil.  your term has a little unnecessary "edginess" to it, shall we say-thank you, ok, carry on

I don't think pro 2nd amendment is accurate. I would guess that most people who are for more gun control are also pro 2nd amendment. I would also guess that a lot of (I'm not sure about most) gun lovers are also okay with some increased level of gun control. Herein lies part of the problem, any step towards gun control no matter how small is viewed as "anti 2nd amendment."
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »

How about death lovers. That’s the most accurate of all.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 07:31:34 PM »

Hyperbole much?   ::)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 07:40:56 PM »
Chico's used to say it about people who are pro choice.  So, yes, it is absolutely over the top hyperbole.

Drawing that kind of line and placing that kind of label accomplishes nothing except to make the tribes entrench further.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:47:37 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »

great teamwork there sparky...idiot
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 09:58:07 PM »
Sorry Benny, I guess I should have put it in teal for you.  Apologies you didn't get it.

Teal shouldn’t give you carte blanche to say whatever you want about anyone without consequence.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 10:22:39 PM »

Well, they are gun lovers. But sure, call 'em whatever you want. They won't budge.

Remember when Tiny -- in an EXTREMELY rare bout of empathy in the wake of Parkland -- actually suggested that guns be taken away from folks without giving due process?

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376097-trump-take-the-guns-first-go-through-due-process-second

Pence and several other gun lovers almost had a heart attack on the spot. A couple of days later, LaPierre had Tiny over to NRA HQ and that was that. Never mentioned again. Even the bump-stock thing ... crickets.

Too much money, too much clout, too many influential votes. Carnage? Who cares? We can always offer thoughts and prayers.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 10:38:07 PM »
Teal shouldn’t give you carte blanche to say whatever you want about anyone without consequence.
Hold on -- is your concern that I've somehow defamed Ted Nugent?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 10:44:22 PM »
Hold on -- is your concern that I've somehow defamed Ted Nugent?

Nugent is so misunderstood. Just because he threatened to put a gun in Obama's mouth and pull the trigger, he just can't get a break.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2018, 12:10:02 AM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2018, 06:47:26 AM »
A fitting end to this thread.  #SadTrombone.