[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: U(gh, so)M(any) B(ri)C(ks) thoughts  (Read 18809 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: U(gh, so)M(any) B(ri)C(ks) thoughts
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2018, 03:58:38 PM »
Well that's why we have the whole season right?  Could our defense be even better?  Absolutely, but after watching the consistently poor defensive displays last season, last night was a very encouraging step in the right direction.

Very much so.  furthermore if it was last years team shootingthat poorly last night, they prolly lose.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »
Huh?  Don't jump to contest a shot but rather stand there with your hands up?  The defense was great.  Markus knows he isn't going to be blocking shots so he attempted to take (and got 1 or 2) multiple charges when he was the help side defender.  Otherwise there were multiple times where Ed and Theo both jumped straight up with their arms straight above their heads simply to contest knowing they wouldn't get a clean block, absorbed contact from the driver, and forced a horrible miss while the driver went to the ground and the ref correctly motioned for verticality as they looked for a foul call.  And when a layup was all but guaranteed, we hammered them and sent them to the line.  And then had a large number of blocked shots.

If you want to complain that a couple times a guy like Joey got caught sprinting out to the perimeter after helping on a driver and got beat when the guy he was guarding put the ball on the deck instead of letting the shot go, sure.  But then you'd basically be complaining that we didn't shut the team out.

The defense was great.  The opponent wasn't.  We'll see if the defense continues to be great when the opponent is also great.

Rewatch the game.  The defense was no where near great. Markedly improved from last year for sure tho. I was specifically talking to helpside defense on drives.  We did most things much better.  My comment was on many of the mistakes of defense 101 that we still make.  Last years defense F, last nights BC.  We were much bigger, experienced, and athletic and talented.  Defense was vastly improved a gainst an inferior team but far from great
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
Huh?  Don't jump to contest a shot but rather stand there with your hands up?  The defense was great.  Markus knows he isn't going to be blocking shots so he attempted to take (and got 1 or 2) multiple charges when he was the help side defender. Otherwise there were multiple times where Ed and Theo both jumped straight up with their arms straight above their heads simply to contest knowing they wouldn't get a clean block, absorbed contact from the driver, and forced a horrible miss while the driver went to the ground and the ref correctly motioned for verticality as they looked for a foul call.  And when a layup was all but guaranteed, we hammered them and sent them to the line.  And then had a large number of blocked shots.

If you want to complain that a couple times a guy like Joey got caught sprinting out to the perimeter after helping on a driver and got beat when the guy he was guarding put the ball on the deck instead of letting the shot go, sure.  But then you'd basically be complaining that we didn't shut the team out.

The defense was great.  The opponent wasn't.  We'll see if the defense continues to be great when the opponent is also great.

The bolded was the biggest thing to me. Our bigs (Luke in particular) have tried to do this and failed in the past. If you have athletic guys who are taught to and are capable of doing this, it vastly improves the defense. Guard the 3 point line. Funnel things inside. Have bigs who are able to do this.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2018, 04:13:25 PM »
The opponent was not good....but we've played a lot worse teams over the past 14 years. And we held them to the lowest FG% since 2004. It's one game so I'm not going to get giddy about it, but there was nothing but positive signs on the defensive end yesterday. So much length. Such good help defense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »
Wojo's post-game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuASXwsOpSI

Ike is out indefinitely.

I was impressed with Wojo in this presser.  Thought he hit all the right notes.  Tip of the cap to the floor slapper himself.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »
The opponent was not good....but we've played a lot worse teams over the past 14 years. And we held them to the lowest FG% since 2004. It's one game so I'm not going to get giddy about it, but there was nothing but positive signs on the defensive end yesterday. So much length. Such good help defense.

There is no stat for it, but one of the most telling things to me was the fact that at least 4-5 times we forced them into shot clock situations where it was less than 5 seconds. I can't remember the last time an MU defense was capable of doing that. Yes, we didn't necessarily generate a ton of turnovers but we limited the looks we gave them to questionable ones or at right denied them looks.

Improvement, let's see if it gets consistent.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »
I am sure that Marquette University would give him a full ride for as long as it took to get his degree.  I'm sure Wojo would keep him involved with the basketball program as well.

But yeah his basketball scholarship would be released and he would receive a different type of aid package.

I believe that’s what happened with McMorrow. He kept a scholarship to the school, but couldn’t play on the team again.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2018, 06:50:08 PM »
Markus is going to have bad shooting games........MU needs he and Sam to be aggressive......Wojo said it in the post game. A bad shot for others might not be a bad shot for Markus or Sam.

Yep. Shooters gotta shoot.

That applies all the way from NBA players to the middle-school girls I used to coach. I told my best 3-point shooter that if she was left open and in the flow of the offense, she was to shoot. I didn't care if she had missed her previous 8. My confidence in her definitely helped her have confidence in herself.

Wojo wants Markus and Sam to shoot. Period. And so do I.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2018, 07:06:27 PM »
Wojo's post-game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuASXwsOpSI

Ike is out indefinitely.
Ike is a great young man and I am praying for him to get better. Back Injury is a very tough thing to overcome for D 1 level athlete.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »
  more on matt-kid's got a heart of gold and will walk across red hot coals with a gas can in each hand for MU.  he is happy to be here; he knows his role and so does wojo.  he's not going to put matt in to fail himself, nor the team. as wojo said in his post game-this game essentially was not a good fit for matt's style of play.  there will be many opportunities for matt to play matt's game and i'll be shucky darns if he doesn't have a SOTG under his belt this season.   matt knows his role. he is not going to be the one beaching on the sideline, in the locker room or between classes to whoever will listen. 
                                             matt is happy to be here and it shows!
don't...don't don't don't don't

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »
There is no stat for it, but one of the most telling things to me was the fact that at least 4-5 times we forced them into shot clock situations where it was less than 5 seconds. I can't remember the last time an MU defense was capable of doing that. Yes, we didn't necessarily generate a ton of turnovers but we limited the looks we gave them to questionable ones or at right denied them looks.

Improvement, let's see if it gets consistent.

I'm surprised this isn't tracked yet. It's kind of like a QB pressure in football, which seems to be mentioned in just about every game I've watched the last few years. This kind of stat could be very telling of what kind of defense a team has.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2018, 06:28:11 PM »
I'm surprised this isn't tracked yet. It's kind of like a QB pressure in football, which seems to be mentioned in just about every game I've watched the last few years. This kind of stat could be very telling of what kind of defense a team has.

Pomeroy sort of does this in that it tracks possession length on both ends of the floor. It's interesting to look at teams that hold opponents to really long average possessions on defense yet play up tempo offense. None are better than UNC, #14 in offensive possession length but #322 in defensive length.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback