[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sports Guy MU reference...  (Read 3347 times)

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
Sports Guy MU reference...
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:21:29 AM »
12. MILWAUKEE
The big problem: Hey, speaking of terrible coaches, it's Terry Stotts! Is there an inordinate amount of inept coaches this season or is it just me? Things are so bad that the Clips just gave Mike Dunleavy a $21 million extension even though he blew the Suns series last season and is currently treading water at .500 with one of the deepest teams in the league. No wonder Don Nelson came back -- even in his mid-60s, he was probably watching the NBA package on his satellite in Maui last winter and thinking to himself, "Wait a second, I could still out-coach 80 percent of these guys, what am I doing here?"

Most interesting subplot: Ray Allen handing the Karl Malone Memorial Torch to Michael Redd as "the best player under 30 to start going suddenly and inexplicably bald." And in the same season where he submitted the incredible 57-point, 0-assist game! Big year for Michael Redd.

Random thought: Not only is Ruben Patterson playing for the Bucks now, he's actually playing pretty well. To answer your question, yes, it's a contract season. But here's a question you didn't ask: With Patterson living in the same city as the one and only Latrell Sprewell, how long before they're partying on Spree's yacht and something horrible happens that requires an extensive Milwaukee police report? Should The Smoking Gun just start building the page with the picture of Spree's yacht and the inset photo of Patterson right now to save time? I say yes.

Worst-case scenario: Everyone in Milwaukee turns their attention to Marquette's hoops season and forgets they have an NBA team. Whoops, that already happened.

Prognosis: I see the Bucks making a second-half jump after Stotts gets fired, Villaneuva and Simmons come back and Patterson leaves the team to play himself in the pilot episode of "CSI: Milwaukee." Let's give them 31 wins.

Complete article
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061129&campaign=rsssrch&source=bill_simmons

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Sports Guy MU reference...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:45:49 PM »
Beat me to posting that damn it.

Can we make Bill Simmons the unofficial mascot of MU Scoop.  I know he doesn't cover a lot of college sports but the guy is the best sports writer in the country IMHO.......did I mention I'm a Saux fan?  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

State

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:59:02 PM »
Beat me to posting that damn it.

Can we make Bill Simmons the unofficial mascot of MU Scoop.  I know he doesn't cover a lot of college sports but the guy is the best sports writer in the country IMHO.......did I mention I'm a Saux fan?  ;D

The 'guy' gets old in a hurry...just because you know obscure quotes, have the ability to tie in Save by the Bell lines when talking about football, and write 10000 word articles does not make you a good writer!!

Not to mention his obsession with anything and everything Boston.

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:17:37 PM »
The 'guy' gets old in a hurry...just because you know obscure quotes, have the ability to tie in Save by the Bell lines when talking about football, and write 10000 word articles does not make you a good writer!!

Not to mention his obsession with anything and everything Boston.

I tend to fall on State's side of this argument. I read Simmons regularly back in his Digital Cities days...but much more rarely now. Talented writer when he puts his mind to it, but he's been coasting/recycling for quite some time now. Plus, his obsession with getting Doc fired is wrongheaded and tiresome (IMHO).

(And I'm a Boston sports fan from birth.)

Still glad to see the MU reference, though.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 08:38:54 AM »
I love the guy but skip all his boston related stuff. 

bheitz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
I love the guy but skip all his boston related stuff. 

I'll second that.  Also, his Vegas columns from a few years back were hilarious.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 04:16:04 PM »
Big fan of the Sports Guy (including the Red Sox stuff), but he is merely amusing now while he would make me laugh out loud at my desk a few years ago.  If you ever get a chance, read his review of the Karate Kid movies.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.