[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219544 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2019-20
« Reply #1800 on: October 12, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »
Lebron is a great basketball player, but I probably don't want him as my next door neighbor...ditto MJ...ditto many professional athletes.

I don't worry much about it.

LBJ is hunted every day in the USA. It would be dangerous living next door to him.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: October 12, 2020, 06:56:32 PM »

But Mitchell vs. Murray was a lot more fun to watch.

That also stood out to me because it was in the first round.  Having great match-ups in the Finals should be a given.  Getting something like that in round one is somewhat rare.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1802 on: October 12, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »

But Mitchell vs. Murray was a lot more fun to watch.

The Nuggets were fun to watch during the entirety of their time in the playoffs.

Played hard; were never out of games; had two really, really good players who "introduced" themselves to much of America; had many good role players; seemed to be well-coached; had flare for the dramatic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1803 on: October 12, 2020, 08:45:02 PM »
The Nuggets were fun to watch during the entirety of their time in the playoffs.

Played hard; were never out of games; had two really, really good players who "introduced" themselves to much of America; had many good role players; seemed to be well-coached; had flare for the dramatic.

You nailed it. Denver went from a team I didn’t care about one way or the other to a team I started rooting for.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: October 13, 2020, 09:32:25 AM »
Hypothetically speaking.

Let’s say AD is out, LeBron absolutely craps the bed the next two games and JFB does JFB things but the Heat lose the series in 7

Do we get a weird once in a lifetime occurrence of finals MVP on the losing team?
If it did happen, it would have been twice in my lifetime.  Lakers' Jerry West won the MVP in 1969 for the losing team.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: October 13, 2020, 09:37:08 AM »
It just occurred to me that Jimmy Butler just took a big step toward the Hall of Fame this year.  Do any of you think it is possible it might happen for him?  That would be truly amazing, based on what he was when he first got here.

At any rate, he was inspiring to watch during the playoffs.  If he can become a competent three point shooter, he will be as complete a player as you can be.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1806 on: October 13, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
It just occurred to me that Jimmy Butler just took a big step toward the Hall of Fame this year.  Do any of you think it is possible it might happen for him?  That would be truly amazing, based on what he was when he first got here.

At any rate, he was inspiring to watch during the playoffs.  If he can become a competent three point shooter, he will be as complete a player as you can be.

Basketball Reference has a statistical model they use for predicting induction into the HOF. It intends to answer the question: "If this player retired today, what is the probability he would be elected to the Hall of Fame?" Given the way it is calculated, a player's odds increase with each succeeding good season. LBJ, CP3 and KD are the only currently active players given a 100% chance. Wade and Novitzki are the only retired but not yet eligible guys with a 100% chance.

Note also that there are many players who had a statistical chance of much less than 100% that subsequently got in. Some because of injuries that cut short promising careers, some perhaps of their coaching success after a pretty good playing career, some perhaps because of leading teams to championships. Connie Hawkins, Don Nelson and Bill Walton got in with less than a 5% statistical chance.

They currently give Jimmy a 43% chance...which seems to indicate he has a great shot.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: October 13, 2020, 10:36:19 AM »
Basketball Reference has a statistical model they use for predicting induction into the HOF. It intends to answer the question: "If this player retired today, what is the probability he would be elected to the Hall of Fame?" Given the way it is calculated, a player's odds increase with each succeeding good season. LBJ, CP3 and KD are the only currently active players given a 100% chance. Wade and Novitzki are the only retired but not yet eligible guys with a 100% chance.

Note also that there are many players who had a statistical chance of much less than 100% that subsequently got in. Some because of injuries that cut short promising careers, some perhaps of their coaching success after a pretty good playing career, some perhaps because of leading teams to championships. Connie Hawkins, Don Nelson and Bill Walton got in with less than a 5% statistical chance.

They currently give Jimmy a 43% chance...which seems to indicate he has a great shot.

Chris Paul over Curry and a few other guys seems very odd.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: October 13, 2020, 11:05:44 AM »

It’s a longevity thing. Lack of a ring or finals appearances aside, CP3’s resume is insane. 10x All Star, 8 seasons as either 1st or 2nd team All-NBA, 7 seasons All Defensive 1st team (2 seasons All Defensive 2nd team), plus ROY and lead the league in assists and steals 4 and 6 times, respectively.

Curry, while his peak has been greater than CP3, started a bit slow on some young Warriors teams figuring it out. He didn’t make an ASG until his 5th season and he’s still trailing CP3 by 4 appearances as well as trailing him by 3 seasons of All NBA 1st or 2nd team.

I don’t think it’s a question that Curry is a unanimous HOF selection in the future, but with these statistical metrics, it often takes out the eye test/impact/perception angle

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: October 13, 2020, 11:37:02 AM »

100% vs. 99.87%.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: October 13, 2020, 11:45:37 AM »

There is one thing that a lot of people forget when looking at this.

There is no NBA Hall of Fame.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1811 on: October 13, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »
Basketball Reference has a statistical model they use for predicting induction into the HOF. It intends to answer the question: "If this player retired today, what is the probability he would be elected to the Hall of Fame?"
Thanks for the link, Goooo.  Very interesting and brought back a lot of old names.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: October 13, 2020, 02:08:03 PM »
There is one thing that a lot of people forget when looking at this.

There is no NBA Hall of Fame.

I actually like that. It takes entirety of work into consideration.

Bill Bradley, for example, had only ok NBA stats. He had the NY thing and 2 NBA titles going for him, of course, but he also was a tremendous college player, and that mattered.

I like that college, pros, women, founders, etc, are all in one place. It makes basketball unique.

I haven’t been to the Hall in a long time. Maybe once the world is normal again, I’ll find an excuse to go,

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1813 on: October 13, 2020, 03:51:13 PM »
It’s a longevity thing. Lack of a ring or finals appearances aside, CP3’s resume is insane. 10x All Star, 8 seasons as either 1st or 2nd team All-NBA, 7 seasons All Defensive 1st team (2 seasons All Defensive 2nd team), plus ROY and lead the league in assists and steals 4 and 6 times, respectively.

Curry, while his peak has been greater than CP3, started a bit slow on some young Warriors teams figuring it out. He didn’t make an ASG until his 5th season and he’s still trailing CP3 by 4 appearances as well as trailing him by 3 seasons of All NBA 1st or 2nd team.

I don’t think it’s a question that Curry is a unanimous HOF selection in the future, but with these statistical metrics, it often takes out the eye test/impact/perception angle

Yep. Longevity (and a slower start) also helps to explain why Jimmy is ahead of Giannis. Jimmy has played 10 seasons vs Giannis' 7, and Giannis' first couple of seasons were relatively modest because he was just a teenager. A few more seasons like the last 4 and Giannis will become one of the 95+ guys.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: October 13, 2020, 04:44:58 PM »
My favorite Basketball Hall of Fame Moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbI15Ucl8s

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: October 15, 2020, 04:58:58 PM »
Daryl Morey out in Houston

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: October 15, 2020, 06:09:12 PM »
Daryl Morey out in Houston

A few years ago he was the Boy Wonder, the Billy Beane of roundball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: October 27, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: October 28, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
Daryl Morey being hired to run the 76ers.
He and Doc will make for an interesting combo, perhaps not in a good way.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1820 on: October 28, 2020, 01:03:39 PM »
Daryl Morey being hired to run the 76ers.
He and Doc will make for an interesting combo, perhaps not in a good way.

That's what I thought, too.

Embiid doesn't exactly seem like the type of player that Morey is looking to build around.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: October 28, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
Per ESPN game Woj:

Dallas Mavericks assistant Stephen Silas will be the next Houston Rockets coach.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1823 on: October 28, 2020, 05:07:29 PM »
WesMat is on the Heat's radar - https://twitter.com/5ReasonsSports/status/1321529916576403456

A team with Jimmy, Crowder, and WesMat? Yes please

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: October 28, 2020, 05:51:10 PM »
Cool!