[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season  (Read 110926 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season
« on: October 20, 2018, 10:40:52 PM »
Discuss.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: MLB hot stove discussion 2018/19 off season
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
Harper to the cubs being an awful decision hot take!

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 10:44:12 PM »
I would rather the Cubs not sign Machado than sign Harper.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 10:59:32 PM »
Very interested to see what the Brewers rotation will look like. Woody, Burnes, Nelson, Chacin, Chase, Davies, Peralta. Then you have Suter at some point mid season. I’d hope Miley is back. Don’t think Gio is back.

My hope is you go into the season with Nelson, Chacin, Woody, Burnes, and Miley as your starting rotation. There is some depth there, but not sure you can get much for Chase or Davies on the trade market. I’d keep Guerra in the pen and I think I might turn Peralta into a reliever too. Not sure he ever really figures out how to pitch deep into games. Let him play Burnes’s role out of the pen. Strikeout stuff but struggles to pitch to contact. High pitch counts.

If second half Aguilar is who he really is that might be the spot I’d pick to spend money on for the Brewers. Don’t think Moose is back but if so I’d be tempted to just move Shaw to 1B. Catcher and 2B should be improved on.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »
Heyward has a player option.  Rumor is he will decline it.  Let's hope so.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 11:19:21 PM »
Feel good about the Brewers arms going into next year. Could use some upgrading at 2B, C, and possibly 1B (not sold on Aguilar).

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 11:30:57 PM »

It'd be really stupid on his part unless he wants out more then he wants money.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 12:04:03 AM »
Harper to the cubs being an awful decision hot take!

We are not signing Harper, he will go to the Yankees.  Get rid of Russell.  Machado would do nicely, but it is easy to hate him.  With the Cubs new TV deal coming, a lot of money to spend on the horizon.  Resign Hamels.  Fix Chatwood, get him consistent.  Pray Darvish does something.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 08:46:17 AM »
I'll be happy to see Schoop and Cedeno leave town.  I suspect Moose will be gone to someone that will pay a lot more than the Brewers will, which is also fine.  He was a veteran presence, but otherwise just a guy.  Might not be room for Gio.  Hope they can keep Miley and Soria.

Shaw's flexibility means you can find either an upgrade at 3B or 2B.   I think Arcia is over the hump and they are set at SS.  If Woodruff and Burnes both move to the rotation, do they have any more power arms ready to come up and fill in the bullpen?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
Aren't we stuck with Schoop next year?  I thought he had one more year on his deal.  Is there a solid trade market for him?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 09:03:00 AM »
Schoop is basically under control for next year.  (One more arbitration year.)  I would guess that he stays in Milwaukee and starts at 2B with Shaw moving back to 3B.  Unless they enter free agency for someone like DJ LeMahieu or Asdrubal Cabrera, I don't see what other option they have unless they think Perez is a legit everyday player.

They have a couple real good infield prospects who are probably each a year away from the majors, unless they start the year real hot.  (Keston Hiura who was in AA last year, and Mauricio Dubon who was at AAA but missed most of the year due to injury.)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
Schoop is basically under control for next year.  (One more arbitration year.)  I would guess that he stays in Milwaukee and starts at 2B with Shaw moving back to 3B.  Unless they enter free agency for someone like DJ LeMahieu or Asdrubal Cabrera, I don't see what other option they have unless they think Perez is a legit everyday player.

They have a couple real good infield prospects who are probably each a year away from the majors, unless they start the year real hot.  (Keston Hiura who was in AA last year, and Mauricio Dubon who was at AAA but missed most of the year due to injury.)

Thanks for the refresher Sultan.  I agree that Schoop probably plays 2B next year.  I'd really like to sign Moose and he seems to like it here.  But the price might be too high and they will want room for Hiura/Dubon probably no later than '20.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 09:41:07 AM »
Miley is the perfect fit for Miller Park.  If there's a deal for 2-3 years that looks anything like Chacin's I'd sign him in a heartbeat.  Either way, he seems like a real good guy so I'm pleased that he's about to get paid.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »
Moose is theoretically under contract next year - a $15M mutual option that the Brewers won't pick up.  But IMO I think the only way they resign of they just don't think Schoop has it.  I would think Shaw should be at 3B though.  He doesn't have great range as a 2B.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
Bullpen arms - good ones -considering the Brewers style of play.

Burnes and Woodruff will be in the rotation so they will need to be replaced in the pen.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 09:46:54 AM »
Moose is theoretically under contract next year - a $15M mutual option that the Brewers won't pick up.  But IMO I think the only way they resign of they just don't think Schoop has it.  I would think Shaw should be at 3B though.  He doesn't have great range as a 2B.

Yeah, $15 is too much.  And no doubt Shaw is better at third but I do remember all the Cubs fans on here going insane saying Shaw at 2nd would never work.  NOT.  He was 'fine' in the playoff run.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »

I wouldn't be so certain that they won't pick up Moose's option.  Stearns has said multiple times that when he makes acquisitions he wants guys with years of team control.  We can control Moose for next year, so I imagine we will.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
Well Moose isn’t necessarily under Brewers’ control. The option is mutual. I understand what you are saying though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »
Moose couldn’t find a long term deal after last season. He might not be able to this offseason either. $15M wouldn’t be a bad thing for him for next year, and for the Brewers they can eat big money for a single year.

I think Schoop will be just fine. He was awful no doubt, but he’s a very good player. Give him an offseason and have him coming into the organization at the start of the year and he’ll produce.

I’d be cool with having Moose the everyday 3B and Shaw playing some days at 1B and some days at 2B.

But my guess would be Moose does sign elsewhere and Shaw moves back to 3B.

Brewers will need to add some bench players. Santana, Keon, Hernan. Will be interesting to see who the rookies are next year. And if Stearns can find any castoffs this year that can break into the everyday lineup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 10:17:11 AM »
One position I again think we're fine at is SS. Credit to Arcia for going down and working.  He needs to spend the offseason really dialing it in at the plate. He's a damn good player if he can give us .250-265 every year.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 10:30:39 AM »
Discuss.

Man, the carcass is still warm.

Wait till next year!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
Man, the carcass is still warm.

Wait till next year!

Nah, I probably won't watch a minute of the WS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »
Very interested to see what the Brewers rotation will look like. Woody, Burnes, Nelson, Chacin, Chase, Davies, Peralta. Then you have Suter at some point mid season. I’d hope Miley is back. Don’t think Gio is back.

My hope is you go into the season with Nelson, Chacin, Woody, Burnes, and Miley as your starting rotation. There is some depth there, but not sure you can get much for Chase or Davies on the trade market. I’d keep Guerra in the pen and I think I might turn Peralta into a reliever too. Not sure he ever really figures out how to pitch deep into games. Let him play Burnes’s role out of the pen. Strikeout stuff but struggles to pitch to contact. High pitch counts.

If second half Aguilar is who he really is that might be the spot I’d pick to spend money on for the Brewers. Don’t think Moose is back but if so I’d be tempted to just move Shaw to 1B. Catcher and 2B should be improved on.

#startersnomatta.

Brewers will use 6-9 relievers every game. Save big $$ cuz one-inning pitchers are a lot cheaper than starters.

Starting pitchers are so ... 2017.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 01:43:49 PM »

This makes zero sense unless Heyward wants to give up $50 million+ to help the Cubs. He's a good dude but he's not that good of a dude.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 02:02:11 PM »
The offseason will be extremely interesting for the Cubs.

I assume they pick up Hamels' option and go into 2019 with a rotation of Hamels, Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, and Darvish with Smyly, Montgomery, and maybe Chatwood as depth.

In terms of the pen, you can't count on Morrow to be healthy so they'll need to add someone else that can potentially close. They'll also need to add a very good lefty. Morrow, Strop, Cishek and Edwards should be back so there's a solid base there for a good pen but some work needs to be done.

What happens on offense will be the most fascinating. The key is getting Bryant health and back to his usual level of production. Rizzo, Baez and Contreras will be back. Getting Contreras back on track will be key.

Zobrist will be back in a utility role in the last year of his contract and I can't see Heyward opting out. Can the Cubs eat enough of Heyward's deal for another team to trade for him?  Doubtful but I assume they'll try.

I assume Russell will be let go. I'd also be surprised if all of Schwarber, Happ, and Almora will be back.

The Cubs will be in on Harper and Machado. It won't surprise me if they get one or neither. Aside from the core 4 of Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, and Contreras there will definitely be some changes.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:35:36 AM by Vander Blue Man Group »