[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Blackledge is the most misused player on this team  (Read 7373 times)

murambler

• Walk-On
Blackledge is the most misused player on this team
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »
Do people agree with this or is it just me?

He comes in and adds instant energy to this team, blocking shots and being a real defensive presence that puts fear into oppenents who enter the lane.  This is a running team that can use his him to fill the lanes on offense and swat some away on defense, yet he gets passed by for Burke and Barro (who looked completely lost tonight). 

Why does Blackledge not play more?

reesiecup210

Re: Blackledge is the most misused player on this team
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »
Thank you. I've been screaming the whole second half for Trend. There's no way that his presence leads to a win tonight, but he's certainly earned his time. 4 points instantly in the first half, then he's rewarded with no PT until Burke fouls out? Obviously I don't have a level head right now, but one thing I know for sure is that Trend deserves more minutes.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 08:18:07 PM »
He still gives up buckets defensively, but he can avoid constant foul trouble and come up with stops.  Plus he doesn't play offensively as if the ball has thorns on it.

FrennA

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 08:18:56 PM »
I love Crean and trust his decisions except for this.  I don't get it.  I agree 100% with you on this.  But that kid in and keep him in there!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 08:23:14 PM »
I think he ought to play more, too, but he could not even slow Padgett down tonight.  But he does provide some offense, quickness, and decent hands, and something is better than nothing.  Barro and Burke had nothing going on tonight.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 08:36:10 PM »
I love Crean and trust his decisions except for this.  I don't get it.  I agree 100% with you on this.  But that kid in and keep him in there!

For all his obvious strengths, Crean is not a good game coach.  He usually makes substitutions that disrupt our chemistry/flow.  Tonight, he was just trying to find a shooter.  But, I agree with the theme of the post- Trend is misused- he should be playing as a strong forward with Burke or Barro.  Fitz, too, is usually misused.  My question tonite is,"why no screens for Fitz to shoot the three?  Looking to pass then crashing the boards is poor use of your best three point shooter.  Would it have won the game? NO, but if he hits a couple early enough in the game, it changes the complexion of L'ville's D, and might have made us competitive.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 08:38:24 PM »
It's funny how many posters on here said the kid was a wasted scholarship...some as recently as a 6 weeks ago.

Fans are a fickle bunch.   :-\

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »
It's funny how many posters on here said the kid was a wasted scholarship...some as recently as a 6 weeks ago.

Exactly, wait til Barro's next double-double in February.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »
I completely agree.  I thought he should have got 15 minutes in the second half.  Instead he didn't get in until the game was out of hand.

Granted, I felt the same way about Carlton Christian a few years ago. (still a very underrated defensive player at MU)  He ended up being outed from the program, so I don't know if Blackledge has somehow made Crean's S%$Ilist, but if not, I can't explain his lack of PT.

Pago Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
I agree as well.
On the flip side, at times he doesnt appear to be completely in sync with the offense and instead of playing
straight up D he'll occasionally lurk or attempt to bait his man relying on his hops and athleticism to bail him on with a block.  Sometimes it works but obviously not always.
What I really like is that he brings energy and we could have used a little more at times tonight.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
TOTALLY agree with this post. He should play at least 5-10 minutes more, especially w/Burke providing nothing.

Blackledge gets you garbage buckets..the kind we need. Put back slams, lay-ups, tips, keeping rebounds alive, an occassionial block, hustle. He's an x-factor that should have played more tonight I think.

Then again, when nobody can shoot, I don't know what you do.

I don't think Crean did a bad job tonight, actually, other than maybe Blackledge. How many points did the bench provide? None, I think.

They haven't been getting Dan shots of late and Cube's seems to be hesitant now all of a sudden. The bench didn't do much tonight, though. Just a terrible shooting night for the team.

If there's one good thing, it's that Matthews has played three straight solid games...although the one rebound he gave up to Padgett when he totally had position tonight in teh second half was terrible.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »

Fans certainly are a fickle bunch, but the swing in opinion about Blackledge is reasonable.  Six weeks ago he was a kid who never played, and a kid who never plays could accurately be described as a wasted scholarship.  It is safe to assume that if a kid isn't playing he is not very good.  Now that we've seen him play a little and do some good things, while the people ahead of him have struggled mightily, it is also reasonable to want to see him on the floor a little more, isn't it?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 09:41:13 PM »
I like Blackledge, but I think that people are overly impressed with his athleticism instead of objectively looking at his fundamentals. Padgett dropped-stepped him too easy to end the first half. He has questionable defensive skills that he tries to make up with his athleticism. He doesn't box out well. The role of our center is to play Defense and be ready for dump offs from our slashers. Unfortunateky, I'm not sure if Blackledge or any of our centers did well on this tonight. We need better play from all, but you play with what you are dealt.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »
I bet you his fouls per minute are lower than Burke and Barro. I agree that he misses defensive assignments but he also makes offense players think about where he is on the floor. I agree with the people who lamented about his coaching over the years in previous topics.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 12:42:08 AM »
He still gives up buckets defensively, but he can avoid constant foul trouble and come up with stops.  Plus he doesn't play offensively as if the ball has thorns on it.

Bingo. Trend is good in the role he's in- he gives a burst of energy and spells guys with fatigue and/or fouls. He still gives up way too much defensively, especially on the glass. Padgett abused him down there tonight.

Think of him like a great pinch hitter in baseball.  Great pinch hitters, but couldn't sustain it when in the lineup every day. Some guys just aren't built to contribute for long stretches at a time.

Boognish_MU

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 07:06:04 AM »
If there's one good thing, it's that Matthews has played three straight solid games...although the one rebound he gave up to Padgett when he totally had position tonight in teh second half was terrible.

Trying to look at the bright side,... I would agree that Matthews has played 3 straight good games. It was just 3 weeks ago when the posters here wanted him to play off the bench (myself included :) ).  It seems that he has learned that the 3 pointer from the corner isn't his shot.

And it was painful to see him let Padgett get that board in the 2nd half. Although the game would've changed much, it would've been nice to see the effort

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 07:29:57 AM »

And it was painful to see him let Padgett get that board in the 2nd half. Although the game would've changed much, it would've been nice to see the effort

That board in the second half was very frustrating, and kind of summed up the team's whole night - seemed to be a rather incomplete effort in all facets. He did a good job getting position, but for some reason, just sort of forgot to actually go after the ball.

murambler

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
When you compare what he gives up defensively to what Barro and Burke gave up defensively last night, is Blackledge really that much worse?  I think not.  He did just as well on D than Barro and Burke. 

Our style of play thrives in the open court.  If we can dictate the pace of the game and get into the open court and prevent the opponent from pounding it inside, Blackedge is a much better running mate than Barro or Burke.  In such a scenario the so called "disadvantage" that Blackledge is defensively would be canceled out.

feedback