'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo at media day  (Read 20577 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Wojo at media day
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2018, 07:22:14 PM »
Calm yourself dude.

Some people live to be miserable......haven't even played a game yet and the sky is falling no matter what happens. If we lose too many games.......coach sucks....Fire hiim! ....if we have a great year ....we won't be able to afford to keep him.

Good grief
No one said the sky is falling. Just laying out one possible scenario . Reality is if we have a good year,  the coach now has enough track record and a clean record upon which a big dollar offer could materialize. MU has the resources to match if they want.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 08:23:08 AM »
Enjoy it while it lasts. If MU performs up to expectations this year , Wojo will move to the top of the list of candidates when the annual Coaching Carousel comes around. Will be just a matter of time before a Power 5 football school with deep pockets offers him 5 million a year like Chris Holtman got from OSU.
Marquette>Butler.

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »
I really like WOJO. The man has heart and competitive drive. His personality is one that exudes sincerity first and if I were a player that would matter a great. I though he really shined in this press conference. Feeling good about this team, this coach and this season!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »
No one said the sky is falling. Just laying out one possible scenario . Reality is if we have a good year,  the coach now has enough track record and a clean record upon which a big dollar offer could materialize. MU has the resources to match if they want.

Wojo, who is on the hot seat according to many, could be in line for a $5MM pay day? Come on. Mack who has 10x the track record only got $4MM from a desperate Louisville. If MU does not make the Tourney, Wojo most likely will be fired. Any talk of him getting $5MM a year is WAY to premature. I like Wojo and hope for the best for him but MU does not have to worry about him getting a "better job".

FYI on Ohio State's head coach - "his annual salary is closer to $2.7 million according to the Columbus Dispatch."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:51:30 AM by WhiteTrash »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »
Wojo, who is on the hot seat according to many, could be in line for a $5MM pay day? Come on. Mack who has 10x the track record only got $4MM from a desperate Louisville. If MU does not make the Tourney, Wojo most likely will be fired. Any talk of him getting $5MM a year is WAY to premature. I like Wojo and hope for the best for him but MU does not have to worry about him getting a "better job".

FYI on Ohio State's head coach - "his annual salary is closer to $2.7 million according to the Columbus Dispatch."
According to SI Holtman $7.15 million. I was conservatively estimating $5 million.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/01/highest-paid-college-basketball-coaches-salaries-mike-krzyewski-john-calipari
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
Enjoy it while it lasts. If MU performs up to expectations this year , Wojo will move to the top of the list of candidates when the annual Coaching Carousel comes around. Will be just a matter of time before a Power 5 football school with deep pockets offers him 5 million a year like Chris Holtman got from OSU.

So why have they not gone after Jay Wright, a much hotter commodity?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
I thought Wojo was just fine.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »
So why have they not gone after Jay Wright, a much hotter commodity?
I think he has turned down NBA several times.
                       ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »
Marquette can match probably any offer besides maybe Duke and Kentucky if it comes to that.

I'm really not worried about MU's pocket book.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »
According to SI Holtman $7.15 million. I was conservatively estimating $5 million.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/01/highest-paid-college-basketball-coaches-salaries-mike-krzyewski-john-calipari
That includes the Butler contract buy-out. OSU deal is 8 years $26MM. $3.25MM average.

My point still stands, Wojo is not close to getting a $5MM deal. Holtman has a far better resume and is not close to $5MM. People outside the MU community think Wojo is closer to getting fired than getting a huge contract from another school. I'd love to have Wojo in a position to get a massive contract and have other programs after him, but that is not the reality of the situation. If he gets us to a Final Four, maybe, but how did that work out for Moser at Loyola?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2018, 02:04:46 PM »
That includes the Butler contract buy-out. OSU deal is 8 years $26MM. $3.25MM average.

My point still stands, Wojo is not close to getting a $5MM deal. Holtman has a far better resume and is not close to $5MM. People outside the MU community think Wojo is closer to getting fired than getting a huge contract from another school. I'd love to have Wojo in a position to get a massive contract and have other programs after him, but that is not the reality of the situation. If he gets us to a Final Four, maybe, but how did that work out for Moser at Loyola?

Wojo is on just about every list that gets put out there regarding who will follow Coach K at Duke. That’s a pretty big gig. I don’t think I’ve seen a single list saying Wojo is on the hot seat/verge of being fired from MU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »
If he gets us to a Final Four, maybe, but how did that work out for Moser at Loyola?

That's a poor analogy because coaches rarely leave after a Final Four season because by the time they're done coaching, the big vacancies are usually filled.

Jim Larranaga saw his stock drop after the 2006 George Mason F4 because they went 18-15 the next year. It took 5 more seasons to get to Miami. John Brady took LSU to the Final Four that same year, but went 30-33 the next two years, was fired, and has been stuck at Arkansas State since.

In 2010 & 11, Brad Stevens took Butler to Final Fours, but didn't leave for 2 more years when the Celtics came calling. Shaka Smart also got there in 2011, but spent 4 more years at VCU before heading for Texas.

Gregg Marshall had his breakthrough in 2013 and is still at Wichita State 4 years later. Frank Martin had his shock F4 with South Carolina in 2017 and is still there. Even Kevin Ollie survived 4 more years after his NC before two losing seasons sealed his fate.

If Wojo makes a Final Four, the combination of timing of the last weekend and volatility of future results means he'd probably be here at least 2-3 more years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
That's a poor analogy because coaches rarely leave after a Final Four season because by the time they're done coaching, the big vacancies are usually filled.

Jim Larranaga saw his stock drop after the 2006 George Mason F4 because they went 18-15 the next year. It took 5 more seasons to get to Miami. John Brady took LSU to the Final Four that same year, but went 30-33 the next two years, was fired, and has been stuck at Arkansas State since.

In 2010 & 11, Brad Stevens took Butler to Final Fours, but didn't leave for 2 more years when the Celtics came calling. Shaka Smart also got there in 2011, but spent 4 more years at VCU before heading for Texas.

Gregg Marshall had his breakthrough in 2013 and is still at Wichita State 4 years later. Frank Martin had his shock F4 with South Carolina in 2017 and is still there. Even Kevin Ollie survived 4 more years after his NC before two losing seasons sealed his fate.

If Wojo makes a Final Four, the combination of timing of the last weekend and volatility of future results means he'd probably be here at least 2-3 more years.

Tom Crean is another example

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2018, 03:20:15 PM »
Wojo is on just about every list that gets put out there regarding who will follow Coach K at Duke. That’s a pretty big gig. I don’t think I’ve seen a single list saying Wojo is on the hot seat/verge of being fired from MU.
ATHLON: "After reaching the NIT quarterfinals, the Golden Eagles are poised to take the next step. How do they get there? It starts with improving on the defensive end. If they don’t, Wojciechowski could find himself on the hot seat. "

SportBlog.com "Unless Steve Wojciechowski comes close to winning the Big East, reaching the Sweet Sixteen and boasting an NBA All-Star on his roster, Marquette University is admitting they are no longer the highly-esteemed program they have been for decades if Wojo returns for a fifth season."

Bustingbrackets.com "With what will be the most talented roster since he arrived at Marquette, a trip to the Big Dance is an absolute must." (Listed as about to be on the 'hot seat')

Thremanweave.com "Wojo may be on the hot seat entering this year"

FWIW, I've heard and others have posted similar information that the school and major boosters like alot about Wojo but the results have not been what they hoped for. There is a reason that he has players on the roster that will be at MU beyond the end of his contract.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
So, Wojo is not currently on the hot seat, but a underachieving season could put him there.  Profound.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
ATHLON: "After reaching the NIT quarterfinals, the Golden Eagles are poised to take the next step. How do they get there? It starts with improving on the defensive end. If they don’t, Wojciechowski could find himself on the hot seat. "

SportBlog.com "Unless Steve Wojciechowski comes close to winning the Big East, reaching the Sweet Sixteen and boasting an NBA All-Star on his roster, Marquette University is admitting they are no longer the highly-esteemed program they have been for decades if Wojo returns for a fifth season."

Bustingbrackets.com "With what will be the most talented roster since he arrived at Marquette, a trip to the Big Dance is an absolute must." (Listed as about to be on the 'hot seat')

Thremanweave.com "Wojo may be on the hot seat entering this year"

FWIW, I've heard and others have posted similar information that the school and major boosters like alot about Wojo but the results have not been what they hoped for. There is a reason that he has players on the roster that will be at MU beyond the end of his contract.

So you found one article that says he “may be” entering the season on the hot seat. Otherwise some that he could be on the hot seat in the future. Which of course he could.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2018, 03:32:06 PM »

I agree and your post supports my position. No one is going to hire-a-way Wojo to a $5MM contract anytime soon. The reality is Wojo is trying to convince (via wins) MU to give him an extension. He's getting close to the end of his current deal and there doesn't seem to be an extension on the table. MU has Wojo in a tough spot to recruit guys when they don't know if he'll be the coach. I don't blame MU because it reflects his attractiveness is the coaching market.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
I agree and your post supports my position. No one is going to hire-a-way Wojo to a $5MM contract anytime soon. The reality is Wojo is trying to convince (via wins) MU to give him an extension. He's getting close to the end of his current deal and there doesn't seem to be an extension on the table. MU has Wojo in a tough spot to recruit guys when they don't know if he'll be the coach. I don't blame MU because it reflects his attractiveness is the coaching market.

His current deal runs through 2021-22.  That's four more seasons.  My guess is that if he performs as people expect, he'd likely get an extension after this year.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
So you found one article that says he “may be” entering the season on the hot seat. Otherwise some that he could be on the hot seat in the future. Which of course he could.
Fair enough but the point is Wojo is closer to being let go at MU than he is to getting the Duke job. Do you think there is a reason why MU won't sign him to an extension?

I am not trying to be a 'Debbie Downer' on Wojo, I most definitely want him to be the hottest coach in college basketball. I'd love to be talking about why MU is a better job than <insert the best opening>. The reality is he has been underwhelming and not going to be a top five paid coach any time soon. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »

His current deal runs through 2021-22.  That's four more seasons.  My guess is that if he performs as people expect, he'd likely get an extension after this year.

Agreed. I hope he does get the extension. Many of us MU fans like him and the direction things are going. My posts were only to point out the Wojo is not a hot commodity in the college basketball world.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »
You'll never enjoy college sports if all you do is worry about your coach leaving. They all leave. Ultimately, they're hired mercenaries.  Chris Mack left his alma mater, where he led them to the No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, for a scandal-ridden Louisville.

This just in: Whether it's through success, through scandal, or through failure, Wojo is gonna leave MU. Maybe next year, maybe 3 years from now, maybe 10.

If it is soon, there's a tailor-made replacement out there, however: Nate Oats. MU fans will get to check him out in person when Buffalo comes to town.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »
You'll never enjoy college sports if all you do is worry about your coach leaving. They all leave. Ultimately, they're hired mercenaries.  Chris Mack left his alma mater, where he led them to the No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, for a scandal-ridden Louisville.

This just in: Whether it's through success, through scandal, or through failure, Wojo is gonna leave MU. Maybe next year, maybe 3 years from now, maybe 10.

If it is soon, there's a tailor-made replacement out there, however: Nate Oats. MU fans will get to check him out in person when Buffalo comes to town.

Brian Wardle is the tailor-made replacement.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2018, 06:14:37 PM »
Brian Wardle is the tailor-made replacement.

Yup. Proven Midwest recruiter, two relatively successful rebuilds, and school ties. If Wojo leaves in the next 5 years, I'd back Wardle.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2018, 07:10:24 PM »
Yup. Proven Midwest recruiter, two relatively successful rebuilds, and school ties. If Wojo leaves in the next 5 years, I'd back Wardle.

Relatively successful is who we would target?  Dare to to dream big.   :)
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »
He called Sam a Warrior. Will he be censured. All in all a great measured press conference.