[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: G-League to offer $125K to top high school players  (Read 23718 times)

Pakuni

• All American
G-League to offer $125K to top high school players
« on: October 18, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
This, way more than the trial going on in New York, is likely to significantly change college basketball.

In a move that could challenge the NCAA's monopoly on elite talent, the NBA's G League is creating a new venture as an alternative to the one-and-done route for the best American basketball prospects, league president Malcolm Turner told ESPN.

As part of a newly formed "professional path" starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft. It will target recent or would-be high school graduates who otherwise would have likely spent just one season playing college basketball, enticing them not only with a six-figure salary but also the opportunity to benefit from NBA infrastructure, as well as a bevy of off-court development programs "geared towards facilitating and accelerating their transition to the pro game," Turner said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

GGGG

• All American
Re: G-League to offer $125K to top high school players
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

I have doubts about how many top players will go this route. Some, yes. But G-League is full of early connecting flights, long bus rides, small gyms. It isn't glamorous. Big-time NCAA ball still has the trappings of exposure, packed houses, private jets. You'll get paid there too

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »
This'll be interesting. 125k is a lot of money, glamorous lifestyle or not. I'm curious if NBA scouts are going to attend HS games and look for guys or are they going to stick to the USA basketball and Mcdonalds AA guys or what method they'll use to determine top high school players.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 11:25:57 AM »
If kids go, that just cuts into the blue blue ods landing these players year after year.   But it also increases the focus and competition in the next tier by the blue bloods making it harder for non blue bloods to close the deal on some of these players.   Will be interestIng to see what happens.....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

I have doubts about how many top players will go this route. Some, yes. But G-League is full of early connecting flights, long bus rides, small gyms. It isn't glamorous. Big-time NCAA ball still has the trappings of exposure, packed houses, private jets. You'll get paid there too

I think he's underrating the allure of $125K going directly to the kid above board and without the threat of an NCAA investigation, the immediate ability to sign a sponsorship deal and profit from one's likeness, and avoiding the charade (for many) of attending classes for a few months.
He's also overrated the glamour of college basketball.
Will every top kid do this? Of course not. But I suspect we'll eventually see at least half of the top 20 choose this route within 2-3 years.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 11:29:26 AM »
This'll be interesting. 125k is a lot of money, glamorous lifestyle or not. I'm curious if NBA scouts are going to attend HS games and look for guys or are they going to stick to the USA basketball and Mcdonalds AA guys or what method they'll use to determine top high school players.

It's not just the $125K. It's the ability to earn millions more immediately through shoe deals and other sponsorships. Does anyone doubt Nike, addidas, Under Armour or Puma wouldn't be eager to sign up a Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett out of high school?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
Excellent idea

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »
It's not just the $125K. It's the ability to earn millions more immediately through shoe deals and other sponsorships. Does anyone doubt Nike, addidas, Under Armour or Puma wouldn't be eager to sign up a Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett out of high school?

Honestly I don't know. Is there any precedent for AHL or AAA players getting signed with brands?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »
I think he's underrating the allure of $125K going directly to the kid above board and without the threat of an NCAA investigation, the immediate ability to sign a sponsorship deal and profit from one's likeness, and avoiding the charade (for many) of attending classes for a few months.
Will every top kid do this? Of course not. But I suspect we'll eventually see at least half of the top 20 choose this route within 2-3 years.

I'm not sure about half, but I do think we will see a handful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 11:50:11 AM »
Honestly I don't know. Is there any precedent for AHL or AAA players getting signed with brands?

You're way overvaluing the MLB & NHL.  For individual stars, NO ONE except UEFA touches the NBA.  My mother in law can name 10+ non-Bulls players, she probably can't name more than 2 non Hawks or Cubs / Sox.  And thanks to hype videos NBA stars start becoming stars in HS.  Heck ESPN launched an entire OTT platform on the backs of Zion & RJ.

There's no doubt in my mind the Top 5 NCAA prospects would easy draw $1 Million as a nice down payment on a future shoe deal.  Plus the G League will probbaly be much easier to work with in terms of using highlights, teammarks, etc.  The social media videos will be through the roof.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »
1. Great idea. LaVar Ball already came up with it, I wonder if he will demand royalties. I’m sure the G League, with its connection to the NBA, will attract more HS players than the JBA.

2. I thought the NBA was going to end 1-and-done by allowing player to again be eligible for the draft right out of HS.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »

I'm not sure that's an apt comparison, given that guys who spend much time AAA and the AHL rarely are seen as future stars. Guys at those levels typically are 3-4 years post-draft by then.
A better comparison might be someone like Bryce Harper, who signed a big contract with Under Armour before he played any pro baseball, or Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid, both of whom signed endorsement deals before they were drafted into the NHL.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »

Does it work that well for MLB minor league ball players?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
Does it work that well for MLB minor league ball players?

The future stars, sure.
Bryce Harper (see above) had a deal with Under Armour before he made his first MLB appearance.
Vlad Guerrero Jr. has a deal with Under Armour.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 12:05:27 PM »

I’m going to sound like a pompous d-bag here, but the last two years, I got to spend time at both Duke and Kansas and see things behind the scenes. I’ll say this, if I’m a top tier kid that falls into this realm, I’m going to a blueblood (with an insurance policy in my back pocket).

I’ll reach out to Malik Newman and see if he had this option, what he would have done.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
I’m going to sound like a pompous d-bag here, but the last two years, I got to spend time at both Duke and Kansas and see things behind the scenes. I’ll say this, if I’m a top tier kid that falls into this realm, I’m going to a blueblood (with an insurance policy in my back pocket).

I’ll reach out to Malik Newman and see if he had this option, what he would have done.

And yet kids who are at best fringe draft candidates (like Newman, Rawle Alkins, Cliff Alexander, the Harrisons, Isaiah Briscoe, etc.) leave bluebloods early every year.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »
I hope they will also have the HS kids taking online college classes. MLS has their direct from HS kids taking college classes, usually through SNHU.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 01:03:47 PM »
I think it is an excellent idea.  Interesting to see how it shakes out. 

My instincts are that such an option would actually, on average, be deleterious to a players long-term earning potential. 

It does though, take away any argument act the NCAA should be paying players, if they want to be paid there is a G-league option.  If they prefer the value of the exposure and perks of the NCAA, they can choose a free education.  That's called the free market.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
I think that this is an interesting potential development.  Several thoughts:

• It'll be fairly short lived until they completely abandon the one-and-done rule.
  • For the truly elite players, if they choose to do this, the $125k will be less of a factor than the endorsement money.
  • Clearly some elite players will take this option, but I wouldn't count on it being a majority.
  • I also think that most top players would still opt for the NCAA and top programs.  Life as a super-star athlete on a college campus for one semester of classes is not a bad gig.
  • I wonder how many of these they will allow, and how the players union will feel about it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/evandaniels/status/1052976405674414080?s=21

https://twitter.com/bsnow247/status/1052960925051957249?s=21

I  think options are good but as is mentioned in the tweet..... .there is great value in not playing against grown men in the G league and getting exposed.

Should be interesting to follow.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »
So are these players drafted in the NBA draft but only allowed to play in the G League for their first year or...?

If I'm an NBA team, do I really want to pay a kid $125K, develop him, and then see a different team draft him the next draft?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »
To clarify why I think it will cost them in long-term earning potential.  The huge benefit of going to a blue-blood is exposure and generation of brand.

That is where the value is for the endorsement deals, is investing in an established brand.  The G-league is never going to generate that exposure and brand-building opportunities.  Instead it is more likely that the big apparel companies hold off on major endorsements deals, because essentially they are betting on the player making it big, with little exposure or benefit in the short-intermediate term.

Look at HE as an example.  If he had gone this route, he would have never gotten drafted in the lottery and turned it into a big first contract.  He would have been paid $125k, gotten likely little or no endorsement money, and turned it into a career in the G-league making likely near the minimum for the remainder of his career.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:21:04 PM by forgetful »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »
To clarify why I think it will cost them in long-term earning potential.  The huge benefit of going to a blue-blood is exposure and generation of brand.

That is where the value is for the endorsement deals, is investing in an established brand.  The G-league is never going to generate that exposure and brand-building opportunities.  Instead it is more likely that the big apparel companies hold off on major endorsements deals, because essentially they are betting on the player making it big, with little exposure or benefit in the short-intermediate term.

Look at HE as an example.  If he had gone this route, he would have never gotten drafted in the lottery and turned it into a big first contract.  He would have been paid $125k, gotten likely little or no endorsement money, and turned it into a career in the G-league making likely near the minimum for the remainder of his career.

Much like teams don't draft based on college production, I don't think teams would be drafting kids based on their G League production (unless they're like 25 year old G League rookies).

I don't think Hank's career or earnings would've been any different really had he went this route.  He was a big 19 year old who could handle the ball, rebound the ball, and looked like he might be able to stretch the floor with a perimeter shot at some point in his career.  He was drafted based on his potential, not on leading MU to a missed postseason.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »

Umm is anyone paying attention???!!!!  Adidas gives these studs 100k for their allegiance and to go to school X.  You think all of a sudden because they are in the G league the shoe companies will lose interest??
Duh!!??
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »
So are these players drafted in the NBA draft but only allowed to play in the G League for their first year or...?

If I'm an NBA team, do I really want to pay a kid $125K, develop him, and then see a different team draft him the next draft?

No...these are players who would be playing for G league teams but who haven't been drafted yet because they are too young is my understanding. Not sure exactly how the process works. Do they have to go through a G league draft or can they be signed as free agents so to speak?

NBA trying to find an alternative to having to draft guys right out of high school......who,in most cases aren't ready... ...still think the NBA will eventually allow kids to enter draft out of high school again but they haven't yet.