'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2018-19 Schedule Predictions  (Read 21001 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: 2018-19 Schedule Predictions
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »
Hope the people who are bullish on them are correct. I'm squarely in "prove to me you can guard anyone" mode.

vs. UMBC  W
vs. Bethune Cookman  W
@ Indiana  L
vs. Presbyterian  W
vs. Kansas (N)  L
vs. Louisville / Tennessee (N)  W
vs. Charleston Southern  W
vs. Kansas State  L
vs. UTEP  W
vs. Wisconsin  W
vs. North Dakota W
vs. Buffalo  W
vs. Southern W
@ St. Johns  L
vs. Xavier  W
@ Creighton   L
vs. Seton Hall  W
@ Georgetown   W
vs. Providence  W
vs. Depaul  W
@ Xavier  L
@ Butler L
vs. St. Johns  W
vs. Villanova L
@ Depaul  W
vs. Butler  L
@ Providence  L
@ Villanova L
vs. Creighton  W
@ Seton Hall  W
vs. Georgetown  W

10-3 Non-Con
10-8 BE
1-1 BET

21-12 overall

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 08:41:31 PM »
This is one optimistic group. Everyone has us winning vs UW. They are generally ranked above us, have Haap )1st all-A and Davison, and most impt are playing at home. We can win, but no season ever passes with us winning every game that we should win. I like the 25-9 prediction. Then 1 loss in the BE tourney and loss in the S16

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 09:01:06 PM »
This is one optimistic group. Everyone has us winning vs UW. They are generally ranked above us, have Haap )1st all-A and Davison, and most impt are playing at home. We can win, but no season ever passes with us winning every game that we should win. I like the 25-9 prediction. Then 1 loss in the BE tourney and loss in the S16

Umm - you do know that the game is at the FiFo, right?  Sure, there will be red sweaters there, but MU students will be in the student section.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »

They had Happ, Davison, and were at home last season as well, and we only beat them by about 56 points.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 09:11:30 PM »

Wow, cue this thread turning into another MU v UW-Madison comparison thread.  I'm not sure how they are generally ranked above us based on this.
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56680.0

Even taking Steele's with a grain of salt, they're not even showing up in "also considered".  Haap is a stud, yes, but the rest of that squad is relatively young, unproven, or just not that good.  We're at home, we won at the Kohl Hole last year, both team return a lot, but we also have significantly better newcomers.  Should be at least a 7 point favorite.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:14:59 PM by Its DJOver »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 11:03:10 PM »
vs. UMBC  W
vs. Bethune Cookman  W
@ Indiana  L
vs. Presbyterian  W
vs. Kansas (N)  L
vs. Louisville / Tennessee (N)  W
vs. Charleston Southern  W
vs. Kansas State  W
vs. UTEP  W
vs. Wisconsin  W
vs. North Dakota W
vs. Buffalo  L
vs. Southern W
@ St. Johns  L
vs. Xavier  W
@ Creighton   W
vs. Seton Hall  W
@ Georgetown   W
vs. Providence  W
vs. Depaul  W
@ Xavier  L
@ Butler L
vs. St. Johns  L
vs. Villanova L
@ Depaul  W
vs. Butler  W
@ Providence  L
@ Villanova L
vs. Creighton  W
@ Seton Hall  W
vs. Georgetown  W

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 10:17:57 AM »
I'm kind of surprised by the number of people who think we will lose @ Indiana. I know they have a fantastic player in Langford, but why is everyone so pessimistic about that game in-particular?

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
I'm kind of surprised by the number of people who think we will lose @ Indiana. I know they have a fantastic player in Langford, but why is everyone so pessimistic about that game in-particular?
assembly hall a tough place to play for Marquettes newcomers. Also Langford and Morgan are both pretty damn good themselves. We will see. Go Warriors

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »

Road game in tough environment. Juwan Morgan is a legitimate all American candidate. Impressive recruiting class highlighted by Langford. Their success will depend on PG play. Not many tested PGs on that roster. If they answer that question they are a top 25 team.

Winnable game for sure. Would personally put them as 2-3 point favorites. If we win that takes some pressure off the rest of the non conference season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2018, 10:33:31 AM »

I've been thinking something similar, (for the record I picked us to win @I4) but I've been waiting for TAMU's preseason preview of them first.  The match-up reminds me a lot of the 15-16 Gavitt game, only with the roles reversed. 

The last time we had a 5* freshman, his third collegiate, and first high major, game was against an experienced and good three point shooting team.  The 5* freshman forced far too many bad shots, went 1-8 from the field, and we lost by 28 at home.  This year, Romeo Langford's third collegiate, and first high major, game will come against an experienced team, with two of the countries best 3 point shooters.  Will Langford be a better collegiate and professional player than Henry?  I think so, yes.  Does he have more talent around him than Henry did?  Again, yes, but I think there's a very real chance that so early in the season, we can catch him before he's truly adjusted to the college game.

It's also worth noting that all the preseason rankings, that we're reading too much into, have us ahead of them.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2018, 10:38:42 AM »
I've been thinking something similar, (for the record I picked us to win @I4) but I've been waiting for TAMU's preseason preview of them first.  The match-up reminds me a lot of the 15-16 Gavitt game, only with the roles reversed. 

The last time we had a 5* freshman, his third collegiate, and first high major, game was against an experienced and good three point shooting team.  The 5* freshman forced far too many bad shots, went 1-8 from the field, and we lost by 28 at home.  This year, Romeo Langford's third collegiate, and first high major, game will come against an experienced team, with two of the countries best 3 point shooters.  Will Langford be a better collegiate and professional player than Henry?  I think so, yes.  Does he have more talent around him than Henry did?  Again, yes, but I think there's a very real chance that so early in the season, we can catch him before he's truly adjusted to the college game.

It's also worth noting that all the preseason rankings, that we're reading too much into, have us ahead of them.

I feel very similarly about KU. They can't have much experience and while I'd be scared to play them in March I feel like we'd be able to catch them early on.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »
I feel very similarly about KU. They can't have much experience and while I'd be scared to play them in March I feel like we'd be able to catch them early on.

The thing that scares me about Kansas, is that if Azubuike can play any D without fouling (easier to do against a 3 point heavy team), we have literally no one that can stop him at the other end.  I don't think it would be a blow out regardless, but it has 2017 Purdue written all over it, where Haas got whatever he wanted, and Matt looked a lot like a mid major center.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
The thing that scares me about Kansas, is that if Azubuike can play any D without fouling (easier to do against a 3 point heavy team), we have literally no one that can stop him at the other end.  I don't think it would be a blow out regardless, but it has 2017 Purdue written all over it, where Haas got whatever he wanted, and Matt looked a lot like a mid major center.

Fair but also a month later Matt shut down Ethan Happ. Plus Theo has a year under him now. True there's nobody that can actually keep someone like him down but I don't think we're talking Purdue bad.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »
Fair but also a month later Matt shut down Ethan Happ. Plus Theo has a year under him now. True there's nobody that can actually keep someone like him down but I don't think we're talking Purdue bad.

The thing is, that a lot of what 7'-2" Haas got was because he could shoot over 6'-10" Matt, or 6'-9" Theo.  Matt was able to stop 6'-10" Haap, but Azubuike is 7'-1".

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
assembly hall a tough place to play for Marquettes newcomers.

Ed Morrow would be one newcomer with some experience in Assembly Hall.
12pt 10reb 5blk - did not seem too fazed.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

fjm

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2018, 12:28:13 PM »

Very valid.

(First thanks to JJJJJJJJJJ for setting this up. I gotta get my predictions in!)

Second I think Ed, Theo and Matt can hopefully atleast slow down Azubuike. Then if needed we throw Joey at him. Just keep rotating those guys on him, get him 3 fouls early and give us 2 fouls on Matt and Theo and Ed. And I’m fine with that actually.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2018, 12:46:15 PM »
Very valid.

(First thanks to JJJJJJJJJJ for setting this up. I gotta get my predictions in!)

Second I think Ed, Theo and Matt can hopefully atleast slow down Azubuike. Then if needed we throw Joey at him. Just keep rotating those guys on him, get him 3 fouls early and give us 2 fouls on Matt and Theo and Ed. And I’m fine with that actually.

I think the front court depth is our only chance really.  Haas went 6-6 from the line against us last year, with both Matt and Theo fouling out.  Azubuike shoots them at 40%.  Once we're in the bonus, send Ike out there for 5 possessions, and tell him to foul him every time he touches the ball.  As much as Jay Bee is about to post that #ftsnomatta, hack-a strategies should be used on a player like that.  We'll still need Markus or Sam to go off, and get solid contributions from at least 2 others, but that's the only way I can see us getting past Kansas (fwiw, I picked us to lose this one).

nyg

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2018, 02:18:26 PM »
Very valid.

FYI, its just not Azubuike.  They have 6ft 9 DeSousa and 6ft9 transfer Dedric Lawson, who is a pre-season first team All American on various sites.  All have experience and it could be a nightmare for MU.  Matt may have two fouls in four minutes.  If Grimes plays to his potential as a mock draft top ten pick, along with Dotson, Kansas will be a tough out for many teams. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
They can't really consider putting De Sousa on the floor this season, can they?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 02:31:02 PM »

Maybe like a Bowen situation from last year, but nothing so far and by the time the trials in NY are over, he will probably be in 2019 draft.  As of today, he's playing. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 03:26:57 PM »

Good point NYG.

Yeah man playing DeSousa is a risky move. One if I was a fan base or student base I would crush that kid every time he touched the ball. And second that’s an easy vacation of W’s if this gets any worse for Kansas.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
Maybe like a Bowen situation from last year, but nothing so far and by the time the trials in NY are over, he will probably be in 2019 draft.  As of today, he's playing.

It'll be over, but any game he plays in will be vacated. I don't think it's even a question. If Silvio De Sousa plays, every appearance he makes will be taken off the books. When you're a viable Final Four and National Title contender, why risk it? If he plays and you win, that banner is 100% coming down. Absolutely zero doubt about it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2018, 06:04:44 PM »
It'll be over, but any game he plays in will be vacated. I don't think it's even a question. If Silvio De Sousa plays, every appearance he makes will be taken off the books. When you're a viable Final Four and National Title contender, why risk it? If he plays and you win, that banner is 100% coming down. Absolutely zero doubt about it.

I think the schools will risk it every time if they think the player is the difference between nothing and having a banner to take down in the first place. I don't think you will find a single Louisville fan who says they didn't win the 2013 national championship. I'm pretty sure the increased donations, enrollment, etc can't be taken back years later.

All that being said, I don't think De Sousa is that much of a difference maker on that team. He's a helluva player, but he might be the 4th or 5th guy off their bench. They are that deep.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »

Well It’s Indiana....It’s Indiana

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2018, 09:26:34 PM »
vs. UMBC   W
vs. Bethune Cookman  W
@ Indiana   W
vs. Presbyterian   W
vs. Kansas (N)   L
vs. Louisville / Tennessee (N)   W
vs. Charleston Southern   W